2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teletubby-warrior View Post
    Frankly, because he's always been a whiner.
    Mansell or Hamilton? I think Zephyrus was referring to Hamilton, and I dont recall him whining.
    ??

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Bull View Post
      Mansell or Hamilton? I think Zephyrus was referring to Hamilton, and I dont recall him whining.
      Ooooh. Now, I see what he meant... I think. Mansell's the whiner, yes. I'm not a huge fan of Lewis either, but that's neither here nor there.
      '10,'11,'12 FG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Comment

I just stumbled upon James Allen's blog and it's not as awful as I thought it'd be:

Why the drivers will make the difference this year

I love "insider" info.

Edit: He needs an editor.
        Last edited by teletubby-warrior; March 8th, 2009, 5:18 AM.
        '10,'11,'12 FG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Comment

Stewart working for free in 2009

Source

Comment

His blog is really great, James Allen needs to be in the BBC team.

Comment

^

As long as he stays away from the mic.
              Supporting : Martin Brundle | Kimi Räikkönen | Jenson Button | Michael Schumacher | Robert Kubica | Sebastian Vettel | Petter Solberg | Mikko Hirvonen | Andy Priaulx | Jason Plato | Mat Jackson

Nokia N95 8Gb | Nokia N97 32Gb | Nokia N900 32Gb | HTC HD2 | Samsung Galaxy 7.0 P3100 | Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 | Asus Google Nexus 7

'10 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
              '09 VW MKV Golf GTI 2.0T DSG | APR Stage 1 | LHD
              '08 Honda Civic Coupé | LHD
              '06 BMW 130i | RHD
              '05 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS | RHD
              '05 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
              '95 Mercedes Benz E320 Sportline | RHD

Comment

Originally posted by MadCow809 View Post
                ^

As long as he stays away from the mic.
                His commentary is, to paraphrase James May, "bloody awful", but his written features and articles are really good.
                (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

He is a lot better as a writer than he is broadcaster. The problem is, he tries to pretend he's Murray Walker in commentry box and just fails miserably. It comes across as bad acting.

Comment

Hmm.. 2009 will sure be exciting to watch! All the preconceived notions of 'best teams' or 'filler teams' will all be gone. It's almost entirely everyone's game. Only 3 more weeks to go!

Comment

Originally posted by zephyrus17 View Post
                      Hmm.. 2009 will sure be exciting to watch! All the preconceived notions of 'best teams' or 'filler teams' will all be gone. It's almost entirely everyone's game. Only 3 more weeks to go!
                      It's exciting now because we don't really know anything, but after the first couple of races we'll know who is good and who is not, and it might just be a boring season. Of course I hope it won't be the case!

Supporting Williams, Kubica and DC

"Flavio would not recognise a diffuser even if it were stuffed with money." - Frank Williams

Comment

The first race is going to be great. Not long to go now.
                        It is very difficult to figure out who has performance and who hasn't. Ferrari and Mclaren should be at the top or at the very least near top. With the new rules we could see some underdog teams taking the lead at the start of the season It would be nice to see Red Bull and Vettel make some good results

Comment

3 more weeks to the first race. I'll start the 2009 season thread at the end of the last "winter" test. Devon will continue with the race threads, I'm sure...
                          (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

Comment

Thank God I've got my own racing to think about. Waiting 3 more weeks without motorsport action would kill me.
                            Ex rotard

Comment

what racing do you do, Cat?

Comment

what racing do you do, Cat?
                                Well last year I did the Jim Russell Formula Scholarship series, and this year I was hoping to get a deal to race touring cars, but that didn't happen, so it's back to karts for me since I don't have any sponsorship this year and it's out of pocket for now. Really, if I was in it for the hobby all I'd do would be karts, they're plenty fun, more fun than Formula cars, but I want to be a professional so going back a rung kind of makes it sting. Plus I'm getting kind of old considering where I am (bottom, basically) so time is of the essence.

I've been in talks with a team (run by a man who used to work with Jack Brabham and Jackie Stewart in F1) and he told me if I can get sponsorship, I can race their Mustang next year. It's an official Ford outfit, but not factory supported.

I'm also going to try and get some contacts in Ferrari 430 Challenge and see if I might be able to get something going there as well. It'll be more expensive than the Mustang, though.

Otherwise, other than the full season of regional karting, the only real cars I might drive are 1 or 2 Skippy Formula races and maybe some NASA stuff if I have the spare cash later in the year.

This year's going to kinda suck considering where I should have been right now (Koni Challenge). Still fun to be had in karting, though. If I win that championship I get a test/school session in a Formula 3 car (Formula Masters with an Evo 9 engine), so at least it's not wasting my time. It's good competition, too. A while back when I last raced it, one of the mid-pack guys (and almost always my sparring partner in practices) was the Pro Formula Mazda Western champion that year, and he was a rookie, too. So plenty of talent and good racing. I beat him.

Now look what you've done. I've written a biography.
                                Last edited by MadCat360; March 9th, 2009, 1:33 AM.
                                Ex rotard

Comment

hahaha well, it's very interesting to read, anyway. Being a professional driver does seem to be hard

Comment

Originally posted by vikiradTG2007 View Post
                                    Devon will continue with the race threads, I'm sure...
                                    Check.

Comment

hahaha well, it's very interesting to read, anyway. Being a professional driver does seem to be hard
                                      That's what my old man said when I first voiced this intention to him. The capitol outlay required to be competitive in anything above a kart is impressive. The amount of funds needed to get to a point where you might actually get a paid ride is Biblical. Formula 1 drivers on average probably spend anywhere from 2 to 6 million Euros to get there, if they hit all the stops, and God knows how many millions getting test sessions set up with teams. The money trail along my intended path is a bit more forgiving, with paid rides smattering the top two or three GT levels, but it's no less relevant or daunting.

But, you gotta do what you love, and if you love it enough, you should make it. At least that's what I'm hoping.

But I'm OT here, so I'll shut my gob.
                                      Last edited by MadCat360; March 9th, 2009, 7:39 AM.
                                      Ex rotard

Comment

Wow MadCat, that's very interesting to read! All the best with your racing career!
                                        "Real life is heartbreak and despair, kid!
                                        Sometimes you get to the end of the rainbow,
                                        and the leprechauns went and booby-trapped it!"

Comment

McLaren is quick in Spain!

Comment

Working...
                                          X