2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

No, I mean that the stories coming out about McLaren now are similar to what was coming out pre-season in 2004.

EDIT: Today's times:
Pitpass said:
Test Times: Barcelona 11-03

11/03/2009

Today's Times - All Times Unofficial
Code:
Name 	Team 	Laps 	Time 	Gap
Button 	Brawn 	N/A 	1:19.127 	131.601 mph
Massa 	Ferrari 	N/A 	1:20.168 	1.041
Kubica 	BMW 	        N/A  	1:20.217 	1.090
Glock 	Toyota 	N/A 	1:20.410 	1.283
Alonso 	Renault 	N/A 	1:20.863 	1.736
Vettel 	Red Bull 	N/A 	1:21.165 	2.038
Rosberg 	Williams 	N/A 	1:21.324 	2.197
Fisichella 	Force India 	N/A 	1:21.545 	2.418
Buemi 	Toro Rosso 	N/A 	1:21.569 	2.442
Hamilton 	McLaren 	N/A 	1:21.657 	2.530

To be honest, I'll be surprised if Brawn GP arrives in Melbourne or, at the latest, Sepang without a big name sponsor.

Last edited:
You have to remember, even if sponsors saw the possibilities - in these economic hard times its hard to sponsor something I would consider luxury marketing.

Though Button and the BGP pace seems to be on pace and up the front, regardless of lack of ballast and low fuel trim. I think this 1:19.1 is a message lap; 1 second clear of the previous test fastest lap, and I don't even think the weather was that warm.

You have to remember, even if sponsors saw the possibilities - in these economic hard times its hard to sponsor something I would consider luxury marketing.

Unless the sponsor is involved in a similar domain. That's why websites like Grandprix.com have been speculating that the gambling company bwin might be in the running to sponsor Brawn GP.

On the third day of the BMW Sauber F1 Team's Barcelona test, Robert Kubica took over the wheel of the BMW Sauber F1.09 from Nick Heidfeld. The Pole lapped the "Circuit de Catalunya" 109 times, concentrating on several different race-related situations to fine tune the working relationship between him and his pit crew.
Weather conditions: Overcast all day with some sun in the afternoon. Temperature: Air: 10 - 16 ?C, Track: 11 - 21 ?C Number of drivers participating: 10 from 10 teams

Fastest lap overall: Jenson Button (Brawn GP) 1:19.127 min Circuit length: 4.655 km

Robert Kubica Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.09-04 / BMW 86/9 Test kilometres today: 508 (109 laps) Fastest lap: 1:20.217 min

Programme: On his first day at the Barcelona test Robert Kubica concentrated on several different race-related situations to fine tune the working relationship between him and his pit crew. He also worked on solutions for the set-up of the BMW Sauber F1.09 on the mechanical and aero side of the car. As well as this, he tested different tyre options and, before the lunch break and after the end of the afternoon session, did a couple of practice starts.

"Today was very productive", Kubica said after covering 508 kms. "We tried various solutions we weren't able to complete last week in Jerez because of the unfortunate weather conditions. Obviously our main target today was to do a lot of evaluations for the forthcoming Australian Grand Prix."

What comes next: Tomorrow will see the last day of the BMW Sauber F1 Team's pre-season testing. Robert Kubica will again be at the wheel of the BMW Sauber F1.09.

_45551850_sennabarri_b226.jpg

First Massa, now Barry. There must be a face fungus epidemic going around in Brazil.

I'm not sure what to make of Brawn...

That was a low quali run. They ran 1:18.9's with slicks with the downforce set to 2009 spec last year so it's about right..

BMW's New Diffuser(Thanks to JPMontoya on bmwf1fans site):
http://img11.imageshack.**/img11/3005/fc3hfc24.jpg

Way cool.

And the wet weather LED is higher up and a bit bigger. A slightly lower chance of Spa 98 happening again.

That was a low quali run. They ran 1:18.9's with slicks with the downforce set to 2009 spec last year so it's about right..
I?m not just referring to the fastest lap. Taking a look at their stints, they're still pretty damn quick over longer runs. I'm having a hard time deciding whether the incredible pace is genuine or if the car is underweight/equipped with nitrous/magical/etc. :p

Melbourne can't come soon enough.

Hard to say really since nobody has yet to venture into that zone I mean my guess is they are keeping some of the speed in their pockets come race day..

I think the pace is real. I think that Honda have withdrawn on purpose and this plan to have Brawn own the team has been in the pipeline ever since he joined.

Mclaren engines which have more bhp than the Honda engine and probably started developing this car ever since the rule changes were announced and now they have a bloody fast car.

Perhaps BGP have come in sideways and blown the wind out of us without even knowing.

I think also Brawn has said somewhere that he already has the funding for this year.

BGP ftw?

I'm having good vibes about BGP, hopefully they'll really surprise us come Melbourne! :D

If they can keep the thing running, then they will be a definite top ten contender. As for whether they can threaten the established order, I'm not sure. But in my view, if they can keep up with the development pace and do it in the right direction, they might upset the frontrunners and maybe take a win or two.

EDIT: Testing is over today, so the 2009 Season Thread should be up in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Last report from the 2008-2009 winter testing season. And it's a stunner...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73685

Barrichello sets blistering testing pace

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, March 12th 2009, 16:26 GMT

Rubens Barrichello set a blistering pace on the final day of testing at Barcelona, as the Brawn GP team completed a dream first week of work at the Spanish circuit.

Barrichello, whose team-mate Jenson Button had topped the times yesterday, went even quicker today, finishing with the best time of the week in the BGP-001 machine, which made its public debut only on Monday.

The Brazilian was the only driver who managed to lap the track in less than one minute and 19 seconds, as he finished over eight tenths ahead of Nico Rosberg in the Williams.

The Brawn GP driver also had a busy day, covering over 100 laps.

The unusual order at the top of the times was completed by Toyota's Timo Glock as third quickest and Sebastian Vettel fourth in the Red Bull machine. Fernando Alonso was fifth fastest in the Renault.

Glock was pleased with his day's work after managed well over 100 laps as Toyota continued to look in good form for Melbourne.

"This was another useful day to round off our good winter of testing," Glock said. "We did more work on set-up and long runs and everything went well until the very last lap! Still, overall the car feels strong and we seem to have good pace so we can look forward to Australia.

"Of course we'll only see the real results on Saturday in Melbourne but everyone at Toyota can be happy with our work so far. We've made fine progress so roll on the first race."

Championship favourites Ferrari, BMW-Sauber and McLaren had to settle with the sixth, seventh, and eighth quickest times of the day thanks to Felipe Massa, Robert Kubica and Lewis Hamilton respectively.

World champion Hamilton had another low-key session and finished nearly two seconds off the pace after 69 laps.

With 141 laps covered, Giancarlo Fisichella was the busiest driver in the Force India car.

More to follow.

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:18.926 110
2. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:19.774 120
3. Glock Toyota (B) 1:20.091 128
4. Vettel Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:20.576 83
5. Alonso Renault (B) 1:20.664 64
6. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:20.677 92
7. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:20.740 134
8. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:20.869 70
9. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.013 62
10. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:21.045 141
11. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.629 27

All Timing Unofficial

:w00t:

MELBOURNE CANNOT COME FAST ENOUGH!

I think it's time to start guessing the order of things. This is my guess:

1. Brawn/Ferrari/BMW/McLaren
2. Red Bull/Renault/Toyota
3. Toro Rosso/Williams
4. Force India

I think, from the comments of all involved, Brawn might have the edge in Melbourne. But by the second or third races the other three will have them covered. As for McLaren, everybody here knows they are not last, which means we have no idea WHERE they are...which means it's a good guess to put them neck and neck with the rest at the front...

What are your lists?

1. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
2. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
3. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
4. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
5. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
6. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
7. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
8. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
9. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India
10. Renault/Brawn/McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/BMW/Toyota/Williams/Toro Rosso/Force India

I'll reserve judgement on a stepped list until after Melbourne. And anyway, isn't the fantasy management F1 game about to start?

Last edited:
Ferrari/Brawn/BMW/Toyota/McLaren/Renault/Red Bull/Toro Rosso/Williams/Force India

Ferrari, Brawn, McLaren, BMW, Toyota, Renault, Red Bull, Williams, Toro Rosso, Force India