Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

2010 Sporting and Technical Regulations have been published in pretty much their final form. Despite the Poison Dwarf's mutterings and thankfully for the rest of us, the medal system is not in the rules. Points will decide everything.

KERS stays within the same limitations, and is not mandatory like the FIA wanted it to be, the minimum weight is raised to 620kg, and quali remains the same, except for one crucial element:

Q3 will no longer be run with race fuel. Welcome back all-out stonker quali laps. :mrgreen: Also, if 26 cars are racing, 8 cars will be eliminated in each part of qualifying, if 24 are racing, 7 will be sliced away.

Other than that, and the "no-refuelling rule", there are no major changes, except for the fact that tire warmers, in particular the tire blankets, have NOT been banned.

2010 Sporting and Technical Regulations have been published in pretty much their final form. Despite the Poison Dwarf's mutterings and thankfully for the rest of us, the medal system is not in the rules. Points will decide everything.

KERS stays within the same limitations, and is not mandatory like the FIA wanted it to be, the minimum weight is raised to 620kg, and quali remains the same, except for one crucial element:

Q3 will no longer be run with race fuel. Welcome back all-out stonker quali laps. :mrgreen: Also, if 26 cars are racing, 8 cars will be eliminated in each part of qualifying, if 24 are racing, 7 will be sliced away.

Other than that, and the "no-refuelling rule", there are no major changes, except for the fact that tire warmers, in particular the tire blankets, have NOT been banned.
^ YES !!!! FUCK YESSSS !!!

But er...... racing on full tanks... I'm not so erm.... sure....

:D Oh yeah...:)

But what about KERS? If it's still allowed, but FOTA teams don't use it, what about the non-FOTA teams?

:D Oh yeah...:)

But what about KERS? If it's still allowed, but FOTA teams don't use it, what about the non-FOTA teams?

Its still allowed but the FOTA teams have vowed not to use it. Williams have said that they are still working on a KERS system and can run it next year because they are not part of FOTA.

Hmm I'm not sure about the whole full fuel tank thing...Does this mean they never pit? or just pit when u need tires? And if you know you're gonna pit for tires why not carry less fuel and refuel at the stop? Will this be allowed or is it mandatory to have a full fuel tank at the start and carry it for a full race?

Hmm I'm not sure about the whole full fuel tank thing...Does this mean they never pit? or just pit when u need tires? And if you know you're gonna pit for tires why not carry less fuel and refuel at the stop? Will this be allowed or is it mandatory to have a full fuel tank at the start and carry it for a full race?
The full tank of fuel is mandatory, so no refueling allowed. The teams can only pit for tires.

They pit for tyres. I would say it would be 2 stops of around 3.5 secs each just like in the DTM series.

You can not refuel during the race. You must start with the full race distance of fuel in the tank.

F1 originally didnt have fuel stops. It was re-introduced in 1994 and have had fuel stops ever since. The reason we had fuel stops in the first place was pretty much by accident when somebody decided to do it and found out you could race faster on new tyres and on lower fuel loads and then everyone started to do it.

Refuelling was banned in the Eighties for safety reasons. Some of the contraptions used to force the fuel into the car were insanely dangerous. Some (gravity) systems were so brutal that drivers were undoing their seatbelts in the pitlane because when the fuel was slammed into the tank it stretched the bulkhead and pushed into their backs.

Free Q3 fuel loads :D

But this crap about whole race on 1 tank...that's just doesn't float my boat..

Its still allowed but the FOTA teams have vowed not to use it. Williams have said that they are still working on a KERS system and can run it next year because they are not part of FOTA.
I wonder if McLaren will run it since they believe it to be such a major advantage...

And one quick question, hope some guru can answer this..

Whatever was wrong with the bridged wing solution on the 2007/2008 cars ? Why was it banned ? I found it quite okay ?! Seems at the end of the 2007/2008 era the wing got a upper curve like the MP4-23 and the R28, it was kinda nice....

Because the front wing dimensions and shapes were relatively restricted and this kind of extension was completely banned.
Thanks. Check your UserCP, lol.

Man, looking at the F2007 with slicks.... they should be the kind of cars 2009 and beyond should have.

They really shouldnt mend whats not broken in the first place.

Not 'mend'. They thought they could 'improve' overtaking by making the cars uglier. But they forgot Physics.

Not 'mend'. They thought they could 'improve' overtaking by making the cars uglier. But they forgot Physics.

Wrong. They didn't forget physics, they only failed to take into account the very narrow field spread that the new rules caused.

The OWG used wind tunnel and simulator data to craft these new regulations, but they didn't work because of other factors.

I wonder if McLaren will run it since they believe it to be such a major advantage...

Its not really an advantage but it wotks so well on their car they designed around it.

McLaren are bound by FOTA so wont be running it. Unless they want to cause an incident.

I have mixed feelings about this, at the same time I'm happy that we will see some really fast laps deciding the first 10 positions, the true potential of the car + driver, but the current system is quite nice sometimes, it add something more, more importance to strategy...

USF1 receives backing from YouTube

20 August 2009

The USF1 team has completed a deal with video sharing website YouTube ahead of its first season on the Formula One grid next year. The announcement, long since rumoured, confirmed that the popular name will became the principal shareholder of the Charlotte-based outfit.

YouTube's get-together with the American squad, formed by Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor, will see the name contribute greatly to the team as it tackles its first season in the sport. "It was a mix of technology, design and sport and for me personally it was a perfect blend of my personal interests," YouTube co-founded Chad Hurley explained to Autosport.

"That's what initially raised my interest in this opportunity with Ken and Peter and US F1. Really, beyond that, coming from my perspective as an entrepreneur, I thought it was a great business opportunity and a good investment." Pennsylvania-born Hurley continued to describe his passion for the sport, including his first F1 visit to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone this season. "It was quite a good experience," he recalled.

USF1 states its intentions in a February press conference
"I have obviously been able to watch a lot of the races on TV but seeing it in person?I guess it's like watching any sport in person; in the States here, watching football and then having a chance to go to the stadium and being able to capture that atmosphere in person is wonderful, so from that aspect it's great."

Former Ferrari and Williams manager Peter Windsor is sporting director of USF1
As well as meetings with the USF1 team, Hurley has also talked with F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone in what he described as a 'productive conversation'. "I see tremendous potential for all sports to integrate more media, more social connections, connect with the fans and build a fan base and that's exactly what I hope to bring to USF1 - bringing my experience and perhaps my opinions of how we could go about that; obviously video is something I am deeply involved with today and that is going to be a big part of what we do at USF1."

When did the possibility of linking up with one of F1's newest teams first dawn on Hurley and YouTube? "We had an opportunity to meet during a presentation, when they were initially trying to gain support for their model and for the team," he explained. "They came to Silicon Valley. I happened to hear about it and went to check it out; from there, I didn't have a real idea that I was going to move ahead with the investment but, over time, learning more about the opportunity and learning more about the team and the approach that they were taking, that's when it all sort of came together."

Source

Youtube? But that's google. Well, at least we won't get the "media has been removed due to copyright blah blah blah" thing anymore