The F1 Technical Developments Thread

I think it's about right? 20cm isn't a lot. And it won't be that much harder to overtake an extra 20cm. Main difference will be the longer wheelbase will make handling less 'snappy'

Yet less nimble in street tracks like Monaco, weren't Mclaren considering a shorter wheel-based car for Monaco last year or something?

Hamilton drove a short wheel base car in Valencia, but it was neither seen nor heard from again after that.

Should be even more likely for McLaren to make a short wheelbase car this year then.

It was probably too twitchy or something?

Shorter car = easier to chuck into tighter corners

Apparently the long wb car was perfect for Heikki's weight last year, but Lewis was a bit too heavy and never got the perfect balance. That's probably why he ran the short wb more often than others.

Last edited:
Shorter car = easier to chuck into tighter corners

Apparently the long wb car was perfect for Heikki's weight last year, but Lewis was a bit too heavy and never got the perfect balance. That's probably why he ran the short wb more often than others.

Apparently there is negligible difference between Longer and Shorter wheel-based cars.

That's often the type of differences that separates the winner and loser in F1. Attention to small, small details.

Moment of truth today then.

Its really weird when a midfield runner like redbull successfully moves up the field and then like all other big teams, bitches about other teams innovations for fear they may be beaten. God.

147432.jpg

147430.jpg

Slightly different sharkfin(?) and bigger cooling outlets

147457.jpg

147461.jpg

Updated diffuser? "Old" one for comparison:

http://img9.imageshack.**/img9/1038/diffw.jpg

147363.jpg

New engine cover

147307.jpg

147429.jpg

Been lots of discussion on f1tec about whether the gills are legal or not

147308.jpg

Ferrari going with the sharkfin idea it seems

147288.jpg

147365.jpg

R30 gearbox. Much, much more compact this year

R29 transaxle w/ gearbox for comparison:

d09brn09.jpg

In addition to all of this, the McLaren rear wing has officially been declared legal. The only thing they had to change was a hole (don't ask) for the starter motor. I've got no idea where the starter motor is in relation to the diffuser, since they have clearly removed bits from the upper deck.

Last edited:
:D Great news. Now it's a matter of how much time it brings them and for how long until the others catch up...

Q & A with Martin Whitmarsh

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, March 11th 2010, 20:27 GMT

McLaren has caused quite a stir so far in Bahrain with its ingenious venting system that is believed to manipulate an air flow through the cockpit to stall the rear wing on straights and improve the car's speed.

The MP4-25 passed an FIA inspection and scrutineering at the Sakhir circuit today, after which Martin Whitmarsh spoke to AUTOSPORT about the system, why he believes it will not be protested and how he expects rival teams to copy his.

Martin WhitmarshQ. Your car has now passed scrutineering. Were you always confident of that, or was there any concern the FIA would ask you to change something?

Martin Whitmarsh: No. The concept of all the features on our car has been openly discussed and disclosed to the FIA for some time. They've expressed that they were comfortable and therefore I wouldn't have expected it to be different today.

Q. Is it correct that the diffuser configuration you have on the car here isn't the one that you used for the final Barcelona test?

MW: That is not correct. In Barcelona we fitted this diffuser on Saturday.

Q. That's the one with the wider hole?

MW: Yes.

Q. And that's the one you will use this weekend?

MW: Yes. The aero package that we have here is the one that we introduced Saturday/Sunday in Barcelona. There are a few little bits and pieces new, but the fundamental front wing, nose, floor, diffuser, sidepods and sidepod wings were all changed for the last two days. That's the basic package we have here with just a few little bits and pieces.

Q. With the tub being homologated this season, modifications can't be made. With your innovative vent system have you stolen a march on other teams who can't copy what you are doing immediately?

MW: Most parts of our car can be copied, but we put a bit of effort in there while saving putting effort somewhere else. During the course of the year I'm sure that we'll look for what are clever and inventive parts on other cars and probably people will do the same with ours.

Q. The issue with channelling the airflow through the cockpit - the driver is going to be the movable part in this?

MW: I couldn't possibly say...

Q. If so, that's stolen a march as no-one can copy that idea because of the homologated tubs?

MW: If you are picking up on the inlet system, then I would imagine that for access reasons, firstly your nose box is approved and you'd have to re-test it if you wanted to put ducting through your nose, which you could do. But I'd also imagine that for access even just for pedal changes and various things in the front of the monocoque, ordinarily there are access panels that would give you the facility to put ducts in. I'm guessing, because I haven't looked.

If you look on our car, there are a number of access panels that are in the homologated chassis and also the monocoque is homologated. You can change the nose. If they wanted to increase the cooling to the driver, then they'd have to do that via an access hole that exists in the monocoque or through the nose.

Q. Are you aware of anyone else doing this?

MW: No. I'm pretty sure that there's no-one like it.

Q. Are you quite satisfied and smug that no-one else has done this?

MW: I think I'll be smug - if that's the right expression ? in Abu Dhabi if we win the championship. But I'm not going to be smug just yet. It's very difficult. We appear to be competitive but we're not complacent and it's certainly too early to be smug at the moment. We're here to win some races and then win a championship. Until we've done that, no-one in the team is going to feel happy with what has happened.

Q. Red Bull Racing has ruled out a protest and thinks that its job now is to develop it themself...

MW: From what I understand, there are no grounds for a protest. I don't think everyone yet understands the nature of the systems that are on our car. So if they put a protest in, it would potentially be on a wrong set of assumptions as to what we've got. So we will see.

Q. Is it fair to say that it was a real fear for you that people would copy it?

MW: It's not a fear. It's like anything you have on the car. You want to expose it as late as possible and you want it to be as difficult as you can possible make it for people to copy it.

Q. So it's satisfying to have done that?

MW: We'll see. In fairness, at the start of last year there were double diffusers and that took a lot of us a lot of time, depending on how fortuitous you were with rear suspension packaging. Unless you had worked on the idea in the concept of the car, it was quite difficult to do. It was a bit of a race for all of us that didn't have double diffusers to find the way forward. I still think that what happened on double diffusers was wrong.

We were quiet about it last year because we had other things to worry about. But what was commonly understood as impermeable floors to have holes through them was completely against any previous interpretation. I am not criticising the teams. I think it was a mistake to have accepted that as legal. I would have thought that the person who originally put in that punt did not expect to get agreement.

When they got agreement they were probably surprised and delighted. F1 being as it is, it probably permeated to one or two other teams ? two other teams precisely ? because it wasn't something that anyone who had been involved in F1 would have assumed was permissible. We certainly wouldn't have assumed and I personally never thought it was. We've all got them now because you're obliged to and we won't have them next year, so the cars will all change again.

Q. No-one is saying this is like the double diffuser in terms of performance advantage. Is this going to kick off a race?

MW: People will look at what we have got on our car and I would imagine that most teams are now looking for how they would implement such a system. I think there was a "what is it?" question initially, then there was "it can't be legal" and now people are starting to understand it there is "how quickly can we implement it?"

Most people are saying that it was something quite ingenious. This was a very creative and ingenious individual in our company who came up with the idea and we've developed it.

Q. Would you like to name him?

MW: Maybe in time. Secrets in F1 have a remarkably short shelf life and we will make sure that, in due course, the individual gets quite a lot of credit.

Just trying to read about the "snorkel"/rear wing business confuses me. :?

ScarbsF1 said:
mclaren: confirmation from martin whirmarsh on the snorkel/rear wing rumour

EDIT: To clear up the McLaren diffuser:

The picture I posted today wasn't fully assembled. This is the fully assembled one:

092wri.jpg

The much awaited Mercedes rear end!!!

104wri.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhat annoyed, what McLaren have done is something i'd proposed to another team as a work package getting on for two years ago*. Now obviously the chances of that being where the idea came from are slim, but damn you other team for not doing it then!

*it's a long story, mostly covered by an NDA.

HR78 - FLUIDICS ENGINEER
Red Bull Technology
Position Title: HR78 - Fluidics Engineer
We are looking to fill an urgent opportunity within our aerodynamics department.

Applications are welcome from fluidics engineers, either recent graduates or with experience from within a similar role in Formula One.

Qualifications should include a degree or PhD in aeronautical or mechanical engineering and the ability to demonstrate a solid understanding of aerodynamics is essential.

To apply please send or Email your C.V. and covering letter quoting the reference HR778 and current salary to:

Human Resources, Red Bull Racing Limited, Bradbourne Drive, Tilbrook, Milton Keynes, MK7 8BJ, England.

Email: human.resources@redbulltechnology.com

Closing date for applications: Thursday 18th March 2010

NO AGENCIES PLEASE

:lol: