The F1 Technical Developments Thread

50 years of downforce and suddenly we need this why?
Stupid gimmick. Expect it to be changed for something else next year, if it even remains allowed for the whole championship.

It's all because of the dirty air problem and the fact that because of that, slipstreams/tows are greatly diminished from what they used to be. And no regulation will be able to restore that properly, so this substitute will have to do for the moment.

And the Technical Working Group features engineers from the teams, and they will recommend rules which they can exploit to their advantage.

This is the state of affairs in F1 nowadays. Get used to it, that's my only recommendation, because nothing we say will change anything.

Last edited:
This is the state of affairs in F1 nowadays. Get used to it, that's my only recommendation, because nothing we say will change anything.

Conformity has never been one of my qualities.. if it's a quality at all. And if F1 keeps losing viewers, we'll see about not seeing changes.

Also I just noticed this last line in the regulation which I must have skipped...

The FIA may, after consulting all competitors, adjust the above time proximity in order to ensure the stated purpose of the adjustable bodywork is met.

Sounds like the first couple of races will be yet again a testing ground for these stupid new rules which then will be changed or scrapped or whatever. I hate so much shuffling of the rules, it makes everything a lottery.

Last edited:
169882.jpg

Literally no clue what that is. Some people are speculating that McLaren might be trying an FEE after all.

Aerodynamics of the cars changed in that 50 years. The front wing (even after rule changes for 2009) looses a lot of it's downforce when car is in a dirty air. Also (they don't like to say about it) engineers do what they can to make air behind the car as dirty as they can. That doesn't help slip stream as well.
Remember that F1 cars have drag coefficient which is similar to Cd of a cube. And allowing driver to change this on a straight will make a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like this rule, because I think it is a little too complicated for most viewers. But I understand its point and I like the idea of active aero in general.

Also I just noticed this last line in the regulation which I must have skipped...

Well, you can't do everything only using simulations. I think it's very reasonable, that if this rule will need some tweaks they should be done as fast as possible, not after the season. And thanks to that, there already were some changes (after meeting with teams). Like it can be used only in a 600m zone on a longest straight (IIRC).

Essentially yes, however I doubt that the improvement to the rear wing with U-pods with be as large as the improvement from a better diffuser flow...

Look underneath the Vodafone logo.

I see a cool air intake. Its got a Nos fogger system and a T4 turbo, Dominic. I see an AIC controller. It has direct-port nitrous injection, and a stand alone fuel management system. Not a bad way to spend 10,000 dollars.