The F1 Technical Developments Thread

g.jpg

That TR undercut

They show the art piece old Honda claiming it's the WO1 car, then they put the real deal beneath it in the article...do they think we're blind?

We are F1 nerds, this is like taking a shit on an action figure of Spock at a Star Trek convetion. Ain't no small thing.

why does it matter? its a cool thing, i dont think they are trying to fool anyone. you guys need to chill

The nose is too pointy.
The rear wing is too wide.
The front wing is not wide enough.
The sidepods are hell different than what BGP W01 ran.

But what annoys me the most, is that it's a lie.
Dunno about you but I do mind when i am lied to. It would be equally cool if it was a Honda and they didn't try too ride Scumacher's name. It would be more cool if it was more real.
There is no good reason to try and disguise a Honda as a Merc. I did a image search and yaeh, it looks like it is a BAR Honda.

Last edited:
I agree with Bernie a bit on this.

Autosport said:
Ecclestone against eco-friendly engines

Television networks covering Formula 1 will walk away from the sport if the environmentally-friendly engines are adopted from 2013.

That is the view of Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who reckons the planned move into smaller, turbo engines from 2013 will only be bad for grand prix racing.

"I'm anti, anti, anti, anti moving into this small turbo four formula," Ecclestone told the Australian Associated Press.

"We don't need it and if it's so important it's the sort of thing that should be in saloon car racing.

"The rest of it is basically PR - it's nothing in the world to do with Formula 1. These changes are going to be terribly costly to the sport.

"I'm sure the promoters will lose a big audience and I'm quite sure we'll lose TV."

The F1 boss admitted he was "at loggerheads" with FIA president Jean Todt over the matter.

"He's not a promoter and he's not selling Formula 1. to be honest. Jean and I are a little bit at loggerheads over this engine. I don't see the reason for it.

"We had the KERS system and this was supposed to solve the problem that Formula 1 is not green and now we've got something else."

Ecclestone also reckons the lower noise from smaller engines will make people lose interest in Formula 1.

"I meet people worldwide in all different walks of life - sponsors, promoters and journalists and I think there are two things that are really important for Formula 1," he said.

"One is Ferrari and second is the noise. People love and get excited about the noise. People who have never been to a Formula 1 race, when they leave you ask them what (they liked) and they say 'the noise'.

"I brought some Russian gentlemen to Singapore and I met them afterwards in Russia - it was the first race they'd ever been to and I said what was it that impressed you.

"I didn't even think about the noise and they said the most important thing was the noise - it's incredible, it really gets to you. It's unbelievable that even more so the women - the ladies love the noise."

He's definitely right about the 'noise'. Nothing prepares you for the first time you hear an F1 car in real life, the noise really is that loud and orgasmic.

This. When people asked me how was the race in Monza, my first answer was - loud.

Supposedly McLaren has come up with an ingenious exhaust solution (I don't understand the explanations of it, but this is the famous U bend solution) using a material called Pyrosic which I believe is some kind of coating that you coat the pipes with which can withstand incredible heat. However, use of this material got banned (put on the not allowed list of materials) so this might be why we've heard of McLaren's issues of an overheating exhaust.

Sources say this is an essential part to make the L sidepods work optimally as a package.

Last edited:
About the noise, it's already dangling in tatters as an entertainment feature... If you wanted interesting noises, imagine a race in the early/mid 90s with a ton of different engines whaling, Ferrari V12s, V8s Cosworths, Renault V10s....
Now THAT must have been a symphony to remember

Supposedly McLaren has come up with an ingenious exhaust solution (I don't understand the explanations of it, but this is the famous U bend solution) using a material called Pyrosic which I believe is some kind of coating that you coat the pipes with which can withstand incredible heat. However, use of this material got banned (put on the not allowed list of materials) so this might be why we've heard of McLaren's issues of an overheating exhaust.

Sources say this is an essential part to make the L sidepods work optimally as a package.

I employ you, I beg you, don't do this here. I realise this is the thread for such stuff, but F1Tech made me hate exhausts with a passion and I swear to god I will never debate one again. So...if you don't mind.

I employ you, I beg you, don't do this here. I realise this is the thread for such stuff, but F1Tech made me hate exhausts with a passion and I swear to god I will never debate one again. So...if you don't mind.

How about you just ignore the posts about the exhausts?
On the topic of the exhausts, my first thought was that it sounded like bollocks but most of these major rumours have been correct in recent years so I guess there is probably something in it. I don't believe that McLaren won't have carefully checked the legality beforehand so I imagine the stuff about the Pyrosic is actually unrelated.

I like to thread with caution at F1Tech. This because I simply have no education or experience (mechanical engineering) in what they discuss there, however that doesn't mean I can't give it a go to understand it?

How about you just ignore the posts about the exhausts?
On the topic of the exhausts, my first thought was that it sounded like bollocks but most of these major rumours have been correct in recent years so I guess there is probably something in it. I don't believe that McLaren won't have carefully checked the legality beforehand so I imagine the stuff about the Pyrosic is actually unrelated.

This.

Learn, live, educate, all great things, but the shit they chuck out there is borderline madness. 120 pages before it ever raced...3/4 of this about pipes and a bubble on the nose.

I too used to go there in search of knowledge, now I just avoid it. It came down to nothing more than speculation and snobby internet arguing.

But if you want to, go ahead, I am conviced that it'll be more civilised here.

Nobody forces you to read it.

By the way, my sources on the exhaust rumours today were F1Fanatic and ScarbsF1.

Lol, inevitable...

In any sufficiently technical thread you always get 'tards who haven't got a clue and try to drag the conversation back down to their own level. This is a particular problem for F1 where most fans want to understand how things work without learning the technical language require to understand how things work.