The F1 Technical Developments Thread

So are these legal or not?

f1arab1.gif

f1arab.gif

f1arab2.gif

It's been 2 seasons now that teams use a lot of flex in the front wing but I only see forums flaming for it, no word from the FIA and as I'm far too lazy to check the actual regulations can anyone clear this up?

Last edited:
Basically, if it passes scrutineering tests - load applied to them while static - they're legal.
I've said run them in a wind tunnel but it didn't gather much fandom :p

Horner said on the BBC after the race that RB took KERS off the car for quali and the race; they may have run it briefly on Friday, but they were very guarded about the whole thing when asked post-race.
it was more they were guarded pre-race. Afterwards Horner said very bluntly "no, we didn't run KERS" and said they did run it on friday but Newey didn't think it was working properly so they took it all off for the rest of the weekend.

It was only pre-race that they were all hush-hush about it

Well as long as they ran with the mandatory weight and the 48-52 balance, there's nothing to complain about

Last edited:
I'd say there's less benefit of not running KERS this year because of the higher minimum weight and fixed weight distribution.

The only reason why Red Bull could ditch it this weekend was because of the relatively short run down to T1. It's a lot further on other circuits, including Sepang, so they need to find a solution quite quickly, otherwise they will get trashed in the start.

I'd say there's less benefit of not running KERS this year because of the higher minimum weight and fixed weight distribution.

The only reason why Red Bull could ditch it this weekend was because of the relatively short run down to T1. It's a lot further on other circuits, including Sepang, so they need to find a solution quite quickly, otherwise they will get trashed in the start.

Maybe their KERS was not at the point where they deemed it useful, remember it affects braking a bit, so if they didn't run it obviously the problems outweighed the benefits

Ted Kravitz sheds light on the KERS situation at Red Bull

tweeted by racecarengineer

So DRS then... why didn't they just have an electronically activated F-Duct would have been cheaper!

he makes a good point!!

tweeted by racecarengineer

he makes a good point!!

I'm sure the DRS is a lot easier and cheaper to implement than F-Duct, even if some of the teams had them already.

In case anyone was wondering, then I can report that the white diffuser McLaren had this weekend was in fact made out of titanium.

I assume they will get a small performance boost simply by making it in carbon fibre.

In case anyone was wondering, then I can report that the white diffuser McLaren had this weekend was in fact made out of titanium.

I assume they will get a small performance boost simply by making it in carbon fibre.

Doubt it. They have a prescribed weight distribution these days so it would make little difference.

Irrelevant, it's just a top coat of something called Zircotec by all accounts.

:think:

Question is why they coated the whole thing with it.

Martin Brundle explained that and he said that they had to use something else than carbon fibre because bits round the exhaust are made of a different kind of carbon fibre which is fireproof. This special carbon fibre takes a lot of time to "bake" in the ovens or something like that (it takes longer to produce than the standard one) and since McLaren changed their car in the last moment they just couldn't make it in time for this weekend.

Therefore they coated it with whatever that material is (I heared it's titanium) to stop it from catching fire.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I?m looking for some reading material about the fuel systems in F1 cars. I?m mainly interested in how they manage to deliver enough fuel with sufficient accuracy at very high rpms. Google didn?t come up with anything decent, so I?d appreciate any sort of link. Doesn?t really matter if the explanation is complicated. In fact, the more complicated, the better.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Hey everyone, I?m looking for some reading material about the fuel systems in F1 cars. I?m mainly interested in how they manage to deliver enough fuel with sufficient accuracy at very high rpms. Google didn?t come up with anything decent, so I?d appreciate any sort of link. Doesn?t really matter if the explanation is complicated. In fact, the more complicated, the better.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Here you are good sir: http://www.f1technical.net/features/3574

That site in general is good to look around on. Also, you can just post in the forums and they'll be able to tell you quite a bit. Hope it helps ;)

Well, thanks, but that?s not what I was looking for. ;)

What I want to know is how the fuel is injected into the engine. By normal standards, fuel delivery at 19000 rpms should be a big problem. I want to know if the injectors still fire "normally" ie at certain intervals, or does the ecu do something cool like just open them up completely in the high rev-range and just regulate the pressure in the rail in order to get the desired air/fuel ratio.

The site is quite interesting though! I came across it while googling, but didn?t take a second look...

Well, thanks, but that?s not what I was looking for. ;)

What I want to know is how the fuel is injected into the engine. By normal standards, fuel delivery at 19000 rpms should be a big problem. I want to know if the injectors still fire "normally" ie at certain intervals, or does the ecu do something cool like just open them up completely in the high rev-range and just regulate the pressure in the rail in order to get the desired air/fuel ratio.

The site is quite interesting though! I came across it while googling, but didn?t take a second look...

Regulations say no more than 100bar (this has to be actively monitored and recorded) and one injector per cylinder. Beyond that pretty much anything is allowed.

As to what they actually do, well that is considered secret. I'd be surprised if any works teams even have that data.

I know about the 100bar and the single injector. That?s mainly why I?m thinking that it?s problematic to just do things the good old fashion way.
I don?t think that the general solution is any sort of big secret, it?s a problem that?s likely to cause everyone to end up with the same solution, and any engineer that deals with the engine would have to at least know how the air/fuel ratio is regulated.