The F1 Technical Developments Thread

I love that rear wing idea. It's awesome!

F1 aerodynamics are just mesmerizing. I feel like one could spend days looking at a single car and still not catch every little detail that helps the car.

diffuser_starter_hole1.jpg

Although some aero devices were deemed legal in Bahrain, the FIA scrutineers did take a different view of some teams starter holes. This hole is allowed with in the rule to be in the diffuser in order to alow the starter mechanism to be inserted. Normally this is a simple round hole, but some teams have expanded the hole into a much wider ellipse shape. This effectively makes the starter hole an extra slot to alow the diffuser to be steeper and create more downforce. The Scrutineers have asked for these designs to be changed before the Australian GP.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/bahrain-diffuser-clarification/

Anyone has any idea why McL used the "MP4-24" package in Borerain instead of the body and wing it debuted with ?

too many replies on F1T and Autosport to sift out the answer.. :(

What do you mean? They used all the same bits in Bahrain as they used in Barcelona.

What do you mean? They used all the same bits in Bahrain as they used in Barcelona.

Yeah, but it did not launch with that kit, yeah?

What i meant was why didnt they use the package from the launch.. They have been running that until the last test or so..

That's called a pre-season package. They didn't run a -24 package in Bore-rain, they ran a Bore-rain-spec package, just as they'll run an Australia-spec package next week. Most established teams have specific packages and configurations for every single track.

What i meant was why didnt they use the package from the launch.. They have been running that until the last test or so..

Different tracks will require different 'streamlined' pieces.

I will miss the launch version of the exhausts on the car though, those were pretty!

Because the launch package did not replicate itself into performance in testing. I think although it looked fancy it turned out to be shit - so they went back and modified their earlier wing from last year.

You have to remember that they used their launch spec aero during the first and second test, got data from them, realized it wasn't that good and brought back last year's design for the third and last tests.

Last edited:
Many people from Ferrari (including drivers and Domenicali) are saying that there are many issues with F10 and they aren't fully happy with this car. Main problem is cooling, that's why Massa couldn't go flat out for the most of the race.

Still there are more rumours about spec B car which should solve cooling/aero problem and also will have new bigger diffuser which can't be installed on current car.

PS. More rumours say that new CFD expert in Maranello, Giuseppe Azzollini who worked earlier for Toyota, is planing to introduce some stuff earlier designed for TF110.

Yes, I know most of this is probably bullshit, but the important point is that they are working hard and aren't confident of F10 even after 1-2 in Bahrain.

Last edited:
So he's introducing Toyota parts?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

What would you like? Tomato or BBQ?

My word should be enough proof but if you want it:

James Allen on F1 said:
It was a positive start for Ferrari. There have been rumours about the aero figures being poor and a B spec car being prepared. But my sources suggest that what has happened is that they recruited a new head of aerodynamics from Toyota in December and he brought a solution for a radical new diffuser with a hole the size of a sheet of A3 paper! It?s worth a lot in extra downforce and so Ferrari may well be building an update package around it, possibly for the first race if they can build it in time.

Source

So they had the A3 sized diffuser since December and if that sources are correct then Ferrari worked the F10's package around it. This sexy diffuser courtesy of the Toyota man is what's giving the Ferrari loads of proper mechanical grip. However on the flip side, it caused cooling issues at Bahrain and might do so again at other hot races, but even so the F10 was blisteringly fast and Ferrari say they can fix it before Australia. ^_^

Last edited:
^Dont mind the guy.

He's just enjoying himself in the world of wins, so much so he forgets everything.

There are good days, but it wont be sunny forever. Thats all I'll say.

What would you like? Tomato or BBQ?

My word should be enough proof but if you want it:

Source

So they had the A3 sized diffuser since December and if that sources are correct then Ferrari worked the F10's package around it. This sexy diffuser courtesy of the Toyota man is what's giving the Ferrari loads of proper mechanical grip. However on the flip side, it caused cooling issues at Bahrain and might do so again at other hot races, but even so the F10 was blisteringly fast and Ferrari say they can fix it before Australia. ^_^

Ehm, it only says that they recruited him in December. The Ferrari diffuser has been the same all along. I dunno. On F1Technical it has been considered only as a rumour.

Also, mechanical grip has nothing to do with diffusers. McLaren had shit aero performance early last year, but had quite good mechanical grip and could actually get quite high up on the boards on narrower, twistier tracks.

Last edited:
Ehm, it only says that they recruited him in December. The Ferrari diffuser has been the same all along. I dunno. On F1Technical it has been considered only as a rumour.

Are you blind? See:

"he brought a solution for a radical new diffuser with a hole the size of a sheet of A3 paper!"

Of course it's a rumour, everything there could be bullshit for all we know. Ferrari may have been developing the F10 perfectly anyway and the Toyota man may not even have brought that diffuser idea. Ferrari may not even be/been working on a spec-B car.

But I remember the interview with Tombazis and/or Costa during the F10's launch, in which they mention the 'very large new diffuser'. Importantly, why do you think the engine on the F10 was mounted on a 3.5 degree angle? For fun? It was to make way for the large diffuser:

Formula1.com said:
To create more room for a larger double diffuser, the F10 has its engine mounted at a 3.5 degree angle (1). As a result, the exhaust pipe vents are located nearer the front of the car (2) than before, creating more space for a large chamber on the central diffuser. Interestingly there is a historical precedent for this approach - back in 1970, Arrows designer Tony Southgate mounted the engine of the sophisticated A2 at an angle of four degrees (bottom drawing).

Source

Also, mechanical grip has nothing to do with diffusers. McLaren had shit aero performance early last year, but had quite good mechanical grip and could actually get quite high up on the boards on narrower, twistier tracks.

Okay then explain mechanical grip to me. Also it looks like McLaren's choosing to perform the other way around this year - good aero (following extensive modification after testing because the original package was shit) but bad mechanical grip as we saw in Bahrain (particularly in sector 2). :lol:

Last edited: