2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Question is were Red Bull lying about why they stopped to the stewards or did they have a genuine problem AND had too little fuel.

I'm not sure. I know that Vettel had already pulled over a second before the engineering called for him to stop. But from what I could see on his steering wheel...I didn't see anything that stood out.

But, I'm no F1 engineer either. :)

The no fuel penalty seems harsh in comparison with say what maldonado has been served up with after using his car as a battering ram in Monaco.

Vettel is gunna have to show some real skill tomorrow to fight through the pack, obviously he will have DRS to help but I bet we are gunna see him at his best, shame it's on one of the dullest of tilkedromes.

Also it's a shame about Hamiltion not being in this showdown if he had more luck in Hockenhiem, Valencia, Spain, Suzuka, Spa, Singapore and Korea he'd be there.

I dunno how harsh or otherwise was the penalty, perhaps it was even someone from "higher up" trying to spice up the championship (we've seen this before), but if Red Bull really claimed Renault adviced them the engine should absolutely not do the lap back then it's almost as saying "we need to change that engine", which is a penalty, anyway...

It's the same penalty that Hamilton got in Barcelona last year for exactly the same problem. For once the stewards were consistent.
So much for all the people, who were crying a river about how he had the title in the bag already. :D

I'm not sure. I know that Vettel had already pulled over a second before the engineering called for him to stop. But from what I could see on his steering wheel...I didn't see anything that stood out.

Those radio recordings are not transmitted in real-time.

It's the same penalty that Hamilton got in Barcelona last year for exactly the same problem. For once the stewards were consistent.
Yes they were, I still think it is a bit harsh, but it is consistent.

Wow that is really freaking harsh. Even though I'm all pro-tifosi now, you gotta feel for the kid; that's just frustrating.

did you feel for hamilton when he was sent to the back of the grid?

personally, i think it's a stupid rule! can't they check the fuel before they fill the cars up? let them run with the quantity they want! if they run out of fuel during their final timed lap, it's their own fault!

now it's up to vettel to show he can race! personally, i would be surprised if he finished in the points. with the way that red bull is set up, he'll have a hard time overtaking cars, even with DRS. he will gain places untill he finds a force india or a mercedes in front of him, and won't be able to pass for the rest of the race...

Last edited:
Yes they were, I still think it is a bit harsh, but it is consistent.

It may seem harsh but it is the standard punishment for that offence. They only had 2 options; apply the penalty or let him off.

personally, i think it's a stupid rule! can't they check the fuel before they fill the cars up? let them run with the quantity they want! if they run out of fuel during their final timed lap, it's their own fault!

Red Bull commeited 2 offences: not making it back to this pits and not having the required 1L of petrol for a sample. The stewards let them off the first offence because they deemed it to be force majeure (there was a genuine problem with the car) but they were punished for not having enough for a sample. The reason the stewards test afterwards is because as soon as qualifying finishes the cars are under parc ferme conditions and cannot be touched by the teams, during the session though the teams can do whatever they like.

another idea...

fuel bags are FIA provided right? can't they change the design so when the nozzle going to the engine runs dry, a litre still remains? (like a reserve function on a normal tank). then the teams can gamble again without the risk of being sent completely to the back, and we actually might see someone run out of fuel during qualifying again!

while typing this...i figured it might be a bad idea after all. Vettel sets a killer time in his first attempt, RB lets webber run dry, and no opponent get's the chance to set a time?
hmm...back to the drawing board :hmm:

now it's up to vettel to show he can race! personally, i would be surprised if he finished in the points. with the way that red bull is set up, he'll have a hard time overtaking cars, even with DRS. he will gain places untill he finds a force india or a mercedes in front of him, and won't be able to pass for the rest of the race...

Since they start from the pit lane, the car is no longer in Parc Ferm?, which means they can change the setup to adapt to the new situation. I still think he'll lose a lot of time though, so everything higher that fifth or maybe sixth would be a big surprise.

but they can't change gearing/diff ratio right?
and red bull is notorious for having a short final drive...

Last edited:
but they can't change gearing/diff ratio right?
and red bull is notorious for having a short final drive...

Yes they can. And they did. Confirmed by the FIA: gearbox change, gear ratios changed, suspension setup changed, car will start from the pitlane.

Last edited:
How many engines did RBR use on Vettel's car so far? Suppose they did blow the engine, thus probably escaping the demotion to last, "only" being demoted five places for an engine change. But if the engine change would mean them exceeding the maximum number of engines per car, they'd face another five-place grid drop next race, basically having to write off two race instead of just one.
Under these circumstances, stopping Vettel and being demoted to last while at the same time keeping all their chances next time might even win them the Championship in the end.

Not if my main man Narain runs into him, trying to be slow and steady. :lol:

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Hamilton also went outside the lines during his pole lap!

If you ask me, starting from next year, the fia may cut down on that! From the moment you go out for 1mm, your lap shouldn't be discarded!

Scary accident for Rosberg and Karthikeyan.

Glad they're OK.

Vettel is really pissed off now. Just when we thought the Red Bulls would get an easy time with the Toro Rosso's, Ricciardo caught Vettel out and he smashed into a polystyrene board.

- - - Updated - - -

Hamilton is out with a mechanical problem. Raikkonen's Lotus takes the lead!