2012 United States Grand Prix

Secretly wishing some mechanical malady will strike the RB8 of Vettel, and Brazil is a winner takes all race.

Looks like he might have a similar problem with the cooling system on his KERS in Austin Free Practice 2 that Webber had in Abu Dhabi Free Practice 2, however he was able to make the track and get in some times.

I am pleasantly surprised at the quality (Why I do not know Americans are good at this sort thing) of the race track. Not Spa - my personal fav - but still a very good track.

I can't fully give this track a pass without seeing a race on it first. I agree that it looks great and the layout and undulations are awesome, but that's what we said about India which has produced two average races.

Also I did not like that Pirelli had gone conservative with its tyre choices for the past few races. I think we've lost quite a bit of the spectacle that we would have otherwise seen.

It looks like a tricky track... many offs might be cos of lack of rubber, but some corners are properly tricky. Turn 1 is completely blind to someone going uphill on the straight, so if someone spins at T1 or there's a crash leaving cars stationary, everyone behind them wouldn't know till it was too late. It's a long long way from the start to the first turn, too.

Hamilton had an American flag on his helmet yesterday in Practice 1 & 2. Today his helmet is missing it.

He's not American - why would he do that, it's very odd? Would an American driver wear a union flag at Silverstone? No he damn well would not.

After seeing how blind the first corner is on The F1 Show last night, all I'm going to say is that the start is going to be interesting. 5 or 6 cars retired interesting.

After seeing how blind the first corner is on The F1 Show last night, all I'm going to say is that the start is going to be interesting. 5 or 6 cars retired interesting.

Hopefully after this weekend practice and qualifying...there'll be enough rubber laid down so it's not an ice skating rink....

But I do see a few cars skidding out.

Also...it might have been covered already...but what was up with Kimi's car at the end of 1st practice on Friday?

He's not American - why would he do that, it's very odd? Would an American driver wear a union flag at Silverstone? No he damn well would not.

I saw the american flag. And many people do homages to the current circuit they're running, like a big red circle on top of their helmets in Japan, I remember Hamilton having that wheel in the middle of the Indian flag for the GP there (idk how it's called)

Anyway... after quali... unless something very odd happens tomorrow, it's all over ain't it. What the hell happened to Alonso?

That said, it has been the season of oddities, not giving up hope just yet!

All there is left is voodoo and hope.

Fawk, I just found out that even tough this is the US Grand Prix, F1 is only shown on Speed in the USA, and I don't have that channel at my hotel :(

And to think I'm only an 8h drive away from it...

I'm hoping Alonso is on a race setup instead of a qualifying setup. Strange to see him this far off.

Amazing day at COTA today. The stands were packed for qualifying. The track is gorgeous and tons of awesome action especially at our seats in Turn 15. It's a tricky lefter, I think every driver locked up a time or two. Can't wait until tomorrow!!