S?o Paulo

fdc69_f1-sao-paulo-preview-mgp.jpg

Race Date: 25 Nov 2012
Circuit Name: Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace
First Grand Prix: 1973
Number of Laps: 71
Circuit Length: 4.309 km
Race Distance: 305.909 km
Lap Record: 1:11.473 - JP Montoya (2004)

Question:

There's only one: Tell us what you think will happen in qualifying or the race! Think it will rain? Accidents? Grosjean T-bones Vettel? Karthikeyan holds-up Vettel for 71 laps? Massa sacrifices himself and crashes into Vettel? Hamilton and Maldonado get into an incident again... right in front of Vettel?

Tell us what you think as all predictions (no matter how crazy) are welcome. :) Bonus points for creativity and if your prediction turns out to be correct then you will win a big prize.

Last edited:
Grosjean will pull out a surprise win, Vettle will be third after Hamilton, Alonso 4th and Massa 5th with Button 6th. It will be a red bull / Vettel double, Vettel will get the fastest lap and it will mostly be dry during the weekend with a bit of rain during qualifying.

How do you like them potatos?

"F1's teams and drivers will not be taking any chances with security at this weekend's season finale in Brazil as a wave of violence sweeps the city of Sao Paulo."

Will Buxton states that it's supposed to stay dry today and tomorrow and then deluge on Sunday, so could be interesting to see how qualifying strategies are.

A dry-setup will put you up front and hopefully out of the way of any contretemps at the start, but if it really does pour, your race-pace will likely be compromised. But if you setup for a wet-race, you'll likely qualifying lower and that might put you in the middle of the pack and in danger of damage if things go bad.

I expect we might see a split setup with Vettel and Alonso on a dry-favored setting to start from the front and Webber and Massa on a wet-favored setting where they could advance up and provide blocking cover behind them.

Last edited:
Hopefully heavy rain doesn't mean red flag situation, though it is funny listening to the commentators trying to find something to talk about for 2 hours.

Especially in Canada when they were saying, "Did you know 'racecar' spelt backwards is still 'racecar'?" I just knew they were desperate :lol::roflmao:

Don't they have that 2 hour restriction in place now? And I actually enjoyed sitting through the downtime at Canada. Greatest commentating combo of all time: DC and Brundle, bring them back please.

We've had rain just before Q1, but the track dried for Q2 and Q3.

McLaren 1-2 (Hamilton and Button), but they may be set for a dry(er) race. Vettel 4th and Alonso 8th, so I am guessing (hoping) Alonso is running a wet setup. Though with Maldanado failing to visit the FIA Weigh Bridge he might get a grid-spot penalty.

Last edited:
And Maldonado was indeed handed a 10-spot penalty for missing the weigh-in. This promotes Alonso to 7th (and puts him on the clean side of the track, I believe).

We've had rain just before Q1, but the track dried for Q2 and Q3.

McLaren 1-2 (Hamilton and Button), but they may be set for a dry(er) race. Vettel 4th and Alonso 8th, so I am guessing (hoping) Alonso is running a wet setup. Though with Maldanado failing to visit the FIA Weigh Bridge he might get a grid-spot penalty.
This has happened before and I do not mean Webber either - driver was sent home and obviously could not compete (Martin Brundle) in 1991 at Monaco. So to be consistent they need to exclude the driver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Monaco_Grand_Prix

One can only imagine all the things going through a driver's mind while coming back in to the pits... while maybe talking to your engineer... missing a red light might not be all that hard to do, and excluding a driver just because seems a bit too harsh. The grid penalty is good enough.

Crazy start. Another romp from the back for Vettel to get back in the points and to re-take the lead in the WDC. The rain is now heavy enough to switch to Intermediates.