Random Thoughts...[F1 edition]

so you'd end up with indycar?

That would be quite a leap.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, looks like the Halo is a go for 2018.

f1-belgian-gp-2016-daniel-ricciardo-red-bull-racing-rb12-running-the-halo-cockpit-cover.jpg

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/strategy-group-halo-shield-decision-932802/?s=1

I think they should allow the teams to keep the shark fins and t-wings now. There doesn't seem to be much point in banning those, since next years cars are going to be ugly as sin anyways. Why put all that time, effort, and money to waste? The cars are not going to look good either way.

Like I already said towards the top of this page, they should just go full closed cockpit. There is no point clinging onto this open cockpit thing if it's going to look like this.

Last edited:
So apparently Sainz is out of Toro Rosso immediately, and will take Palmers spot at Renault. In true Toro Rosso tradition, a rookie (Gasly) will take his seat.

Meanwhile both Mercedes and Ferrari have denied McLaren engines for next year, leaving only Renault.... They could use the money, however they don't think they can make enough good engines in time.... So another year of McHonda misery?

So apparently Sainz is out of Toro Rosso immediately, and will take Palmers spot at Renault. In true Toro Rosso tradition, a rookie (Gasly) will take his seat.

i've read those rumours as well, but never from a trustworthy source, and it's been denied by all parties involved
i'd love to see gasly in an F1 car though, he finished 4th on his debut in FE! and many F1 expats have tried shining in FE, but failed miserably...

F1 now stands for Flipflop 1.

If Honda stays with McLaren next year, I'm not entirely sure Alonso will...

I like the idea of Cosworth returning to the sport, but this talk about keeping V6 turbo hybrids continues to annoy me. The changes they're making do nothing for the fans, as usual, just more pandering to the manufacturers.

A friend of mine works for a UK engineering company who told me they have a block for a brand new F1 engine for testing. He wouldn't tell me who it was, aside from that it was a team who's already in F1. My bet is on some kind of Red Bull involvement. Either on their own or Aston Martin.

I hate to admit it, but these sorts of stories trigger me. They know what the fans want, but they give us the finger and go with something else instead. Which wouldn't annoy me so much if they didn't end up scratching their asses wondering why ratings continue to decline. I'm not sure I would trust any of these spoiled trust fund babies to run a lemonaid stand, to be completely honest.

I expect it is about keeping the manufacturer's interested in spending hundreds of millions a year developing engines for the sport.

Current fuel efficiency and emission requirements have driven the consumer auto manufacturing industry towards small-displacement engines with turbocharging and hybrid power. So that is what Formula One has adopted to keep it relevant to what the manufacturer's are doing, even if the only thing an F1 engine and a consumer engine share in common is the concept (small in displacement, turbocharged and a hybrid).

I expect it is about keeping the manufacturer's interested in spending hundreds of millions a year developing engines for the sport.

Current fuel efficiency and emission requirements have driven the consumer auto manufacturing industry towards small-displacement engines with turbocharging and hybrid power. So that is what Formula One has adopted to keep it relevant to what the manufacturer's are doing, even if the only thing an F1 engine and a consumer engine share in common is the concept (small in displacement, turbocharged and a hybrid).

Yeah, they're definitely pandering to the manufacturers. I just find it odd that they're allowing this direction, which was forced on them by laws and regulations, which isn't exactly popular with consumers, to poison motorsport too. As far as I'm concerned there are two types of people, those that hate this current trend, and those that are indifferent to it. They're spending hundreds of millions a year to impress nobody.

you're impressed by a 18Krpm 2.4l V8?
they achieved that 40 years ago already!

and if all it takes for you to be impressed is some sound...

you're impressed by a 18Krpm 2.4l V8?
they achieved that 40 years ago already!

and if all it takes for you to be impressed is some sound...

They're certainly more impressive than what we have now. We're only just now finally matching lap times set during the V10 era. They've intentionally slowed the cars down over the years. The only thing these powerunits do that is remotely impressive is get good fuel economy. But that hardly matters when the powerunits cost millions of dollars each. Any reduced emissions are no doubt destroyed by all the extra manufacturing emissions, so it ends up being a gimmick anyway. And it hasn't improved the quality of racing.

I care about and enjoy the spectacle of it all. These new powerunits are a step backwards from the old stuff, because they're no where near as impressive from an aural point of view. It's like comparing a 1969 Mustang Boss 429 to a Toyota Camry.

If F1 started using LaFerrari powertrains, I would be a very happy puppy.

Teams will be able to modify Halo

Slightly better news, but it would be even better if the teams could develop their own complete Halos. Or go full closed cockpit. Or do nothing at all. But beggars can't be choosers.

So Sauber's new Team Manager has ended talks with Honda for running their Power Unit in 2018 and will instead continue with Ferrari, attempting to get current-season engines for 2018 (as opposed to the last-season engines they are running in 2017).

So I guess that means McLaren will be sticking with Honda? Or will they too switch to Mercedes and Honda will leave F1?

Rumour has it Torro Rosso Will be running honda engines next year

And both MB and Ferrari already said if they aren't forced by the FIA, they won't supply mclaren, and Renault said they don't have the capacity to supply an additional customer team...but if TR jumps ship all is possible

EDIT:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...campaign=RSS-F1&utm_term=News&utm_content=www

Those are some expensive bottles just to spray around :/

Last edited: