2014 Australian Grand Prix

Red_Bull

Gives you wings?
AGP0721_2014_F1_Homepage_Banner_Rolex_1080x400_0.jpg

Well here it is then, the start of the 2014 Formula One season, and probably, you'd have to say, one of the more anticipated seasons yet after a dismal end to 2013. So many questions to be answered, just how far ahead are Mercedes? What can Williams do? Are Ferrari in the game and just how badly are Red Bull going to do? I'm keen to see Kevin Magnussen after a pretty decent showing in the winter testing. He looks to have the goods as a rookie driver. How will Dan Ricciardo fare against Vettel? And of course the Alonso vs Raikkonen duel should be great as well!

In terms of the technical side, it's going to be interesting to see how the race unfolds and the strategies teams use to get to the finish line while dealing with the still relatively unknown PU (I guess that's what we're calling the engine and ERS systems now) package and the fuel flow limit. The fastest car might not necessarily be the winner come Sunday evening.

I'm not much for talking so I'll leave you with some pictures of races gone by to get you in the mood :p

02aus53.jpg

ralfschumacher_rubensbarrichello_melbourne_2002_1024.jpg

o_0011c00.jpg

heidfeld2000.jpg

gprix1996_gallery__600x382.jpg

_66441089_aus_gp_grandstand976.jpg

We are back, we are so back. I am watching every single minute of every single session this racing weekend. I need dis.

With Kevin Magnussen at Mclaren, it has gotten a lot more interesting to watch Formula1 when you're Danish :) Very much looking forward to seeing how he does.

Cant wait! I?m gonna miss tomorrows FP?s, but gonna watch saturday and sunday. Have you seen the document of Ferraris preparation for 2014 season? It was really good.

Go Williams and Ferrari!!!!!

I bet the red bulls will be fastest, but won't finish the race lol. Mercedes will be next fastest, but since they will finish, they will win. They will be followed by Williams and Ferrari, with McLaren steaming up their behinds.

Can't wait to see Williams livery during the race. I'm a bit underwhelmed with McLaren's one off Melbourne livery. I wish it was more "West". It feels a little half assed at the moment

Even my wife is excited to see Lewis have a good chance to do well in the Mercedes. I'm hoping that McLaren's design tricks help to get Jensen a good result, too. Some schadenfreude at the expense of Red Bull would be welcomed as well :)

Can't wait to hear the new engines being driven hard in surround sound. I love the way the Ferrari winds down when entering the pits.

yes, because "they'll announce a sponsor in the comming weeks"
just like they would in december...

Word is that Honda is paying them in secret to not put a sponsor so they can be the title sponsor next year.

One of the senior guys just declared that he will be 'on mobile and email' for the rest of the day. He left the office tucking a grand stand pass into his pocket.

Max Chilton just crashed into one of his pit crew while coming back to the garage.
Yep.

He still has a seat? I thought he was turfed out end of last season.

"You have to take your ear protections off to hear someone do a practice start"

I'm sorry apologists, but this sounds awful. It sounds bad, and it's too quiet.

Also they just showed the McLaren front wing, it has 5 elements in it... Wasn't the rule of thumb after 2008 to make aero less complicated? That thing looks like a flight of stairs.

and the Red Bulls have clocked the most number of laps by a fair chunk.
Pre season testing has really provided very little indication of anything.

No they didn't, even Force India ran more.

Last edited: