2014 Formula 1 Gran Premio de Espana

I really believe a budget cap would make a big difference. Bring back in season testing and a budget cap so the top teams remain competitive, but don't discourage/shit on the rest of the 'poorer' teams.

The ban on refueling is one of very few changes in the past decade that is appropriate. Like 458 mentioned, the fire hazard is much too great and we saw in 2010 that drivers can still push hard with heavier cars. It's the tires and fuel restrictions that are holding them back.

budget cap won't work, they'll find a way to mask and hide expenses.

someone, somewhere proposed to bring back a limited amount of in-season testing, and when they want to test more, they can, but they'll have to pay for it, and at the end of the season, that money is divided to all teams. so the more the big teams test, the more money the small teams receive...

i think they should come up with something like that!

Well I don't think we should punish a team for doing good business and being able to bring money into their team.
I'm for capping the current year's budget at their verified income from their F1 operation only (sponsorship, prize money, merch sales etc) for the previous year.
Because the issue isn't teams spending lots of money so much as teams getting money injected in from parent companies (Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Red Bull) which their F1 outfits can't earn from their own operations.
Right away, that would somewhat level the playing field between manufacturers and independents.

As bone says though, the issue is creative accounting.

As bone says though, the issue is creative accounting.

Not only creative accounting, but also cross-subsidising. How do you want to calculate RB's income for instance? They've developed the side-crash structure that every team uses. So you'd end up with Ferrari and Macca upping RB's budget. On top of that they build Caterhams gearboxes (at least they did in 2013) and provide simulator time for STR. Some of Ferrari's tests have been conducted by Corse Clienti in the past. There'd be no way to govern such a cost cap.

- - - Updated - - -

budget cap won't work, they'll find a way to mask and hide expenses.

someone, somewhere proposed to bring back a limited amount of in-season testing, and when they want to test more, they can, but they'll have to pay for it, and at the end of the season, that money is divided to all teams. so the more the big teams test, the more money the small teams receive...

i think they should come up with something like that!

That was my Dec. 31st article for thejudge13 : http://thejudge13.com/2013/12/31/fat-hippos-not-a-rant-why-fia-should-rethink-their-approach/. That being mentioned by someone, who compulsively negreps me whenever I dare to disagree with him - I take it as a compliment ;)

cheers, Hippo :mrgreen:

Last edited:
i never neg repped you because of what you said, only because of how you said it...