Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would happen if the rear differential failed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would happen if the rear differential failed?

Long story short, I need an answer to what would happen if the rear differential failed on a car.

I won't go into details, but somehow the car lost it going out of a roundabout and as far as I know, it spun with no excessive speed at all, and I really don't know how it happened. Could have a rear differential failing in some way have caused the rear wheels to loose traction, but I distinctively remember hearing something at the rear.

The car also spun the wheels or something when it did a right hand turn off a main road onto another. I dismissed it as it was wet, but now I'm just convinced that something is wrong with the car.

I'm just so confused to how it could happen. If it wasn't the rear differential, what could it be?

EDIT: Can't be the differential.
    Last edited by Dsemaj; November 4th, 2007, 6:33 AM.
    2003 Urabus Impreza WRX stage one - 3" TBE Exhaust, Custom Dyno tune 210kW/440Nm 5 sp manual
    1997 Ford EL Falcon Wagon - 163kW/366Nm 4sp FraudSlushOMatic

"I won't go into details"............ Means "so I was drifting"

Comment

Originally posted by Aston Martin View Post
      "I won't go into details"............ Means "so I was drifting"
      No. I wasn't driving, my friend was, and we seemed to be going around the roundabout normally, and the car just lost it.

It's a bit complicated, I didn't want to go through it
      2003 Urabus Impreza WRX stage one - 3" TBE Exhaust, Custom Dyno tune 210kW/440Nm 5 sp manual

Comment

Does it have an LSD?

Comment

Originally posted by TomCat View Post
          Does it have an LSD?
          Nope, just a normal differential that you find on any RWD car.

Comment

Unless your spider gears seized while accelerating out of the corner, I don't know how it could be the rear end.

Unless you ran over something.

Comment

if the diff blew up wouldn't you just not get any power to the rear wheels? or only one wheel?
              Last edited by The_Finn; November 3rd, 2007, 4:33 PM.
              "My laptop has a webcam; if I wanted to make money while making a mess, I'd be all over the internet. Hell, you'd probably have videos of me bookmarked."
              ~Klutch~

“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”
              ~Ernest Hemingway~

It's all about having the right priorities. You can sleep in your car but you can't race your house -|- Basically i go accurately and on special lines

Comment

Originally posted by TomCat View Post
                Unless your spider gears seized while accelerating out of the corner, I don't know how it could be the rear end.

Unless you ran over something.
                The car was still driveable after, we managed to get it moved into a park.

I've looked over the road where it happened, there was nothing to hit, nothing wrong with the road.

Comment

If the diff shat itself, you would of losing drive and would of ending up going no where. What exactly happened or where ye doing ?

If you were drifting, the car just one wheeled and spun you out, seen it happen to loads of BMWs over here ...
                  http://www.pmcgphotos.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cosworth View Post
                    If you were drifting, the car just one wheeled and spun you out, seen it happen to loads of BMWs over here ...
                    Happens to just about anything with an open diff and an inexperienced driver.

If the car can still put power down normally I don't think you've got a diff problem. I would think you'd hear some noise or feel some resistance if it was a serious problem. You could have a torn up bushing in a trailing arm or something though. That can make the rear end do some funky stuff.
                    Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360

Comment

We weren't drifting The car was going around the roundabout normally, and it just lost it. I'm not sure about the exact speed, but my both of my friends who were in the car (including the one driving) were sure it was about 25-30 kilometres, what it would have been normally. But the car managed to spin, so i'm really confused.

Interestingly, me and my dad had heard a noise from the back the day before, but everything seemed fine with the car. I thought it might be the exhaust or something, but my dad was going on how it wasn't coming from the left, the side it's on.

I think I just have to get that rear end checked out, because if we were really going the speed that my friends said we were, and I think we were, there has to be something wrong with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by tigger View Post
                        If the car can still put power down normally I don't think you've got a diff problem. I would think you'd hear some noise or feel some resistance if it was a serious problem. You could have a torn up bushing in a trailing arm or something though. That can make the rear end do some funky stuff.
                        I agree; if it is something wrong with the car, I would think it would be a problem with the suspension first. Either that or the tires are in need of replacement. If it were a differential failure, the car wouldn't move another inch under it's own power, and trying to drive it would likely result in a god-awful gear-grinding noise with no movement associated.

Also, if you had someone sitting in the back seat, the additional weight back there can do all kinds of funny things to the car's handling.
                        Last edited by MrChips; November 4th, 2007, 1:45 AM.

Comment

have a good mechanic look at it, they may be pricey, but its not as though they don't know there stuff.

Comment

Diff failed.....you would go nowhere.

Suspension failed, its possible you could spin.
                            "There were no speed limits then, because homosexuality hadn't been invented yet" - J. Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by MrChips View Post
                              I agree; if it is something wrong with the car, I would think it would be a problem with the suspension first. Either that or the tires are in need of replacement. If it were a differential failure, the car wouldn't move another inch under it's own power, and trying to drive it would likely result in a god-awful gear-grinding noise with no movement associated.

Also, if you had someone sitting in the back seat, the additional weight back there can do all kinds of funny things to the car's handling.
                              Yeah, it can't be the differential. There was two people sitting in the back, that's about it.

Comment

check your suspension, sounds very similar to what a friend had on his golf mkII. you going fine through a turn, and suddenly sth snaps and you're facing the other side

turned out the holes in the discs to connect the shockabsorbers to the car itself, were rusted, and gave play

Comment

I think it would depend on what type of differential you have and exactly how it failed. You could have power only going to one wheel, no power at all, a loss of power/traction, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                                    check your suspension, sounds very similar to what a friend had on his golf mkII. you going fine through a turn, and suddenly sth snaps and you're facing the other side

turned out the holes in the discs to connect the shockabsorbers to the car itself, were rusted, and gave play
                                    Really interesting you mention that. Well, regardless, the car is being taken to a brother's mates tomorrow (he's got his own workshop), and I suspect he's going to take a through look over it. Must get him to check the rear.

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QKSDdKze4i8

Diff in the car on the far lane breaks.

If you were just riding around normally it woudlnt put nearly enough stress on the differential to break it. The hardest thing for a differential to do is to handle a launch from a dig (like the video) and GM 10-bolt rears are notorious for popping.

Usually it rips the gears right off, and the car just rolls.

Your problem probably isnt related to the differential.

Comment

If it was the diff you'd hear a heap of grinding and crunching, even if a diff shits itself it's not going to magically spin the wheels, it will just stop putting power to the wheels and in the worst case lock them up

Comment

Working...
                                        X