UK Road tax and Q Plates

KM-TV

Car(s)
Peugeot 106
I have a question, which may or may not be technical, so please feel free to move this.

Okay, the system for road tax in the UK is for cars made up to 2003, 2 bands for 2 engine sizes (below 1.6 and above it), and for cars made after it works on emissions.

Simple, right?

But the question I have, is which system does a car registered on a Q plate (e.g. a kit car) come under?

For those not in the know, a Q plate is for vehicles of questionable age - one built from various bits of cars of various ages for example.

Thanking you in advance.

Q plates will come under the old system, as I don't think there used anymore since we got the new plate

I'm pretty sure that they are still used for vehicles where the age is a bit suspect. Thanks for your help though.

I think the system is still in place too. As far as I know it now is used for vehicles that have had major parts taken from donor vehicles. Too many parts and the vehicle gets a Q.

On any new builds, then I imagine the SVA will include measuring the CO2 output and you will then be taxed according to whatever band is applicable.

DVLA will be able to confirm.

*checks the SVA procedures*

Yes they do measure emissions, so prehaps they're using hte new road tax system then. Damn.

Easy, check your V5C document and if the listing for co2 has numbers next to it then you pay tax according to the co2 tables, if not then you go by engine size as in the old system.

Hope that helps!

That is sound advice, but does rather depend upon you having the said document!

I'm considering building a kit car, first though I want to know how much it will cost me!

That is sound advice, but does rather depend upon you having the said document!

I'm considering building a kit car, first though I want to know how much it will cost me!

I think Fifth Gear answered your question, Your going to be taxed on the old system as its a low-volume car