Help me Diagnose my saabs shudder issue.

The_Finn

Car(s)
99 Volvo V70R
so my Saab is having a shuddering issue while driving on the highway.

The car:
1996 saab 900s 2.3L non-turbo with an automatic transmission

facts i have:
  • happens around 65-75mph
  • happens only under load from the engine. i have to be accelerating for it to shudder if i let off the gas i glide along smooth hell if i am light on the gas to maintain speed it won't shudder
  • I recently got one of my tires patched (need to buy new ones this comming weekend when i get paid)
  • i shudder less if am turning slighty right (the tire i had patched was on the right)

all things point to it being directly related to the tire being patched but i don't see how that can account for the only shudder while under acceleraton thing...

anyway i am stumped what are your thoughts on the issue

Did you get the tire/wheel assembly rebalanced after patching?

I've seen weird stuff with unbalanced rotating assemblies, including your problem.

i can't believe you said that

I've seen weird stuff with unbalanced rotating assemblies, including your problem.

I'd second that. Last time I got new tyres the shop didn't balance my wheels correctly and I had shuddering from the front, only when under acceleration and at 'highway cruising speeds'...

yup, it must be some balancing issue with the wheels/tyres.

I'd second that. Last time I got new tyres the shop didn't balance my wheels correctly and I had shuddering from the front, only when under acceleration and at 'highway cruising speeds'...

yup, it must be some balancing issue with the wheels/tyres.

right then i will suffer with it (yay 60mph on the highway) till i get my new tires on friday and make sure those are properly ballanced

so my Saab is having a shuddering issue while driving on the highway.

The car:
1996 saab 900s 2.3L non-turbo with an automatic transmission

facts i have:
  • happens around 65-75mph
  • happens only under load from the engine. i have to be accelerating for it to shudder if i let off the gas i glide along smooth hell if i am light on the gas to maintain speed it won't shudder
  • I recently got one of my tires patched (need to buy new ones this comming weekend when i get paid)
  • i shudder less if am turning slighty right (the tire i had patched was on the right)

all things point to it being directly related to the tire being patched but i don't see how that can account for the only shudder while under acceleraton thing...

anyway i am stumped what are your thoughts on the issue

My sister had the exact same car and similar problem. Under moderate acceleration the transmission would shudder shifting from first to second, it turned out to be a busted transmission mount.

My sister had the exact same car and similar problem. Under moderate acceleration the transmission would shudder shifting from first to second, it turned out to be a busted transmission mount.

it doesn't happen while shifting it happens while at a constant speed in i assume 4th