Fastest and easiest way to defrost my car windows

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
So, it's freezing cold here in Portugal and every night I get out of work to find my car windows completely frozen. I've got no AC and the vent system doesn't get hot as quickly as I need it to be to defrozen the windows, especially the front ones. Having to get the car out of my work's private park in less than 10 minutes, what's the fastest and easiest way to get rid of all the ice? :|

What i do when it gets that cold here is when i park my car at night i cover the windows (especially front and rear) with newspaper. Come to think of it i am not the most qualified person to give such advice... :p

Buy an ice scraper... If your windows are just fogging up, open your air vent and crack the window a bit.

What i do when it gets that cold here is when i park my car at night i cover the windows (especially front and rear) with newspaper. Come to think of it i am not the most qualified person to give such advice... :p
No offense, but I laughed when I read this. :p

It's good to bring joy but for our conditions (for example last year lowest temperature was -5 C) it works!!!!
That's why i said i am not the proper person for advice on cold conditions.

P.S. Non taken.

In Germany, letting your car run to warm it up is forbidden. You can get fined for that.

I'd get de-icer spray (removes the ice within seconds) or one of those sheets you put over the car. It covers all windows and therefore prevents them from putting on ice. Don't know if those are available where you live though, and it looks pretty ghey.

What do u mean it is forbidden? What exactly is forbidden? Is there a time limit? And how do u get fined?
I am sorry, i know this is off topic but its the first time i hear about it and i find it ridiculous! Care to elaborate mate?

Well, the law says that you must not let your car's engine run unnecessarily. I think letting your car warm up in the winter is fined with 10 Euros. The idea is to avoid unnecessary annoyances through noise and exhaust gases.

On another note, experts say that it's not really clever anyway. Your engine takes much longer to heat up compared to when you start driving immediately, and it consumes quite some fuel in the process.

Interesting.

On another note, experts say that it's not really clever anyway. Your engine takes much longer to heat up compared to when you start driving immediately, and it consumes quite some fuel in the process.

Yes, i am not saying warm up for 20 minutes, but letting your engine run while standing still for a couple of minutes or so is good, lets the oil circulate, especially on turbocharged cars and especially during the winter.

My brother also as a ZX here in portugal , and a good botle of whater does the job

Yes, i am not saying warm up for 20 minutes, but letting your engine run while standing still for a couple of minutes or so is good, lets the oil circulate, especially on turbocharged cars and especially during the winter.
I think the high viscosity of cold oil makes no difference when driving in the cold, since you shouldn't rev your engine until it's completely warmed up anyway.

My brother also as a ZX here in portugal , and a good botle of whater does the job
How do you defrost windows with a bottle of water? :blink:

There was a girl at school who when her windshield had ice on it boiled some water to pour on the windshield. End result: shattered windshield.

There was a girl at school who when her windshield had ice on it boiled some water to pour on the windshield. End result: shattered windshield.

my dad used to do that all the time...except it's just WARM water instead hot water. Worked really well.*

*I am not responsible for any shattered windows

I think there's no actual time limit in Germany. Noone will prosecute you for letting the engine run for a minute to wait for fogged windows to clear.

I tried warm water, which works, unless its super cold, because then the water will just freeze over again.

I'd use a blanket if you got a place to store it near your car, newspaper seems unprofessional, spending money for a ghey looking thing isn't smart either...

Letting the car run for 10 mins is as stupid as it comes, for the reasons explained prior.

Solution: Get a pre-heater for your car that can be programmed, but thats only an option if you have a longer drive to work, short distances will ruin your battery...

I think the high viscosity of cold oil makes no difference when driving in the cold, since you shouldn't rev your engine until it's completely warmed up anyway.

In some old issue of EVO one of their experts, in a reply to a reader question, said that revving it up actually does no harm. That's what they do in race cars, rev it up rapidly in neutral, engine heats up faster, and oil gets distributed better. What you don't want to do is putting a stress on it, so no hard accelerations, but on neutral it's supposedly OK :dunno:

Tried the warm water this morning, just froze up again, was around -10, so too cold for that. Scraper it was. The spray sounds like a good idea, though. The CFC's might warm up the air a bit too. :p