What is a core charge?

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Once again I have question that if I had been born in America, I would've known the answer...

When I look at car parts sometimes I see Price: $150, Core Charge: $50
What does that mean? Is it like a rebate - if I send my old part I will get $50 back? (therefore only costing me $100)

Or is it - if I don't send my old part back, they will charge me an extra $50. (thus making it $200)
Which is it?

As someone else puts it: http://www.remansoftware.com/corecharge.htm

The sale of a remanufactured part involves the price of the part itself, as well as an additional core charge to encourage the return of the old part for remanufacturing purposes. The core charge, sometimes called a core price, is a form of deposit you pay until returning your old part. If you don't have the core at the time of purchase, you must pay the core charge. That charge is refunded to you when you return the core.

Let's say you buy a remanufactured water pump with a $15 core charge, but you haven't removed the old water pump yet. You must pay the core charge when you buy the part. After you replace the pump, you return the old one to the store with your receipt (which includes the core charge). As long as the old part is in acceptable condition, the store will then refund the $15.

A lot of shops (especially chains) will also do core charging on NEW parts as well as remanufactured parts, so the unexpected presence of a core charge does not always mean you've bought a remanufactured part without knowing it.

Nothing in particular at the moment, but in the near future I will be buying a drive axle, and from what I hear the rebuilt ones are better than a brand new chinese one...

It's explained fully above, but just to be clear, expect to pay the part price plus the core charge when you first buy the part. You get the core charge back when you bring in your used/broken part- which can be done when you buy the part in the first place or later on.

Thanks for the info guys!