Nissan Pathfinder 1988 - front corner lights

Rockluva

Can anyone confirm that Nissan Koito corner lenses with the number 212-23598 on will fit a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder, Chas WNYD21003187?

Doesn't Spectre drive one of these? He should know.

Yes, I do drive one, a 1990. The corner lights do not have separate lenses and are unified assemblies - i.e., the lens and reflector are bonded together at the factory and you can't take it apart. You have to replace them as a unit, therefore.

Any corner lights from a 1986.5 to 1997 (1999 in China and 2008 in Mexico) D21 type Nissan Pickup/Hardbody will fit, as well as those from any 1987 to 1995 Pathfinder. The truck really didn't change much.

Do avoid the chromed ones as they are incorrect for your year and the chrome tends to come off after a while. Also, if you haven't yet, clean out your fan blower case of leaves and change your cowl vent grilles ($20 each at Nissan) to prevent the very common fire issue.

Edit: Just went out and checked. My corner lights are embossed with 212-23599 on both passenger drivers' side. They're salvaged from an 88 (IIRC) and they have a date stamp of April 2, 1985, so they're one of the earliest variants. The 23598s should fit, though if memory serves those aren't the DOT legal ones - no yellow reflector strip.

Edit 2: These are the US DOT legal ones with the reflector strip:
IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Last edited:
Any corner lights from a 1986.5 to 1997 (1999 in China and 2008 in Mexico) D21 type Nissan Pickup/Hardbody will fit, as well as those from any 1988 to 1995 Pathfinder. The truck really didn't change much.

Actually the Hardbodies with the sealed beam headlights have a different profile to the grille and don't fit quite right on the Pathfinder/composite headlight D21.

Actually the Hardbodies with the sealed beam headlights have a different profile to the grille and don't fit quite right on the Pathfinder/composite headlight D21.

They do fit, though. I had a set lifted from a base Hardbody and they fitted just fine. The difference is the edge that abuts the grille is slightly different. The Pathfinder grille covers it up for the most part, and the physical mount points are the same.

Edit: And IIRC, Nissan just supercedes them all to the same part number anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Actually someone caused an accident and damaged property of mine in the night a week ago. I found this lens at the accident scence, and am trying to prove that it came out of a particular person's 1988 Pathfinder, which I found just happened to have missing corner lights. It looks like they ripped out due to the high impact involved. Is there a manual or official document or something of the sort in which I can get this verified so I can hand this in as evidence to the police?

Unfortunately, Nissan part numbers are different than the supplier part number on the lens.

What you can do is go find another D21, Pathfinder or Terrano down there in Brisbane AU and take pictures of its corner lights. Should be the same as the one you're holding.

Also, those lights will crack and shatter fairly easily, especially if you don't attach it using all the bolts (there's one that's actually important but that's a pain in the arse to get to, and most people skip it); even if you do mount it properly, they get hit a lot by rocks and idiots in parking lots. That's why there's a huge aftermarket in W/D21 corner lights. Before I put my brush guard on, I went through a set about every six months. High speeds need not be involved.

Edit: And if the lens actually cracked off, it should be trivial to match it up with the remainder on the suspect vehicle - as they're integral units not intended to come off, it'll have cracked off in a unique pattern.
Edit 2: Just added pics above.

Last edited:
Nissan corner lights 212-23598

Nissan corner lights 212-23598

Thanks, I had a suspicion there would be a unique breaking pattern, because at the time of the incident they visually looked like a perfect match, but I suspect they would have been replaced now so I won't be able to do a forensic match. Next best thing for me would be to find proof that this lens would fit this model - preferably on the web or in writing somehow, so I can hand it in to the police as independent evidence and not just opinion.
I wonder if there would be some software that matches up part numbers in this way???

There is some forensic software in the US, marketed to the police and insurance industry, that can do that, but even it isn't complete.

Before someone asks, no, I don't have a copy of it. :p

However, there is a surprisingly large Australian contingent of Pathfinder/Terrano owners, and I can put you in touch with some of them. You might also want to try the dealership, they may have some literature that might help. As that particular version of the lights was never sold in the States, my various US Nissan resources won't show it.

Thanks Spectre. It will be great if you know of an OZZIE owner/s of a 1988 Pathfinder that may have this lens in their vehicle, and may be prepared to email me a pic of it showing this match clearly. I did look everywhere I went today and did not see one, but I know there must be some out there. I will keep looking bit if you know of someone like this I'd be very happy to contact them.

Thansk Spectre, if it is at all possible to put me in contact with someone who actually has a 1988 Pathfinder with a similar lens that will be great.

Thanks Spectre. It will be great if you know of an OZZIE owner/s of a 1988 Pathfinder that may have this lens in their vehicle, and may be prepared to email me a pic of it showing this match clearly. I did look everywhere I went today and did not see one, but I know there must be some out there. I will keep looking bit if you know of someone like this I'd be very happy to contact them.

Try looking on all the car sales websites and at dealers, you may be able to find one there. I'm sure if you explained the situation to the dealer, they would be understanding. Or maybe I'm too optimistic! :lol:

Good luck anyway, hope you can find one to match the lens against :)

Missan Pathfinder corner lens

Missan Pathfinder corner lens

Thanks everyone. Spectre you helped me onto the right path, by mentioning that a Pathfinder and Terrano was the same vehicle. I could find more documentation for Terrano than Pathfinder, and it solved my problem.
I also looked out for one on the road and found one - with 212-23598 lenses.
Thanks again! :eek:)