BMW 3-Series recommendation

GaryC

Car(s)
'90 Miata, '12 Octavia RS
A family friend wants to buy a 2009ish BMW 3 series and he's basically narrowed it to the 320i or 323i. I recall some magazine stated that the I4 petrol is a really slow engine? Opinions?

I'd suggest waiting until prices have dropped some more. The refresh cars are nice, but an earlier model would be better. What's his budget?

Yes, the I4s will be a bit pokey unless he can find a 320si. The best (and frankly only) choice to go for is the I6.

Well, I guess this is a bit premature but he has said August. He doesn't have much of a specified budget. Seems to me he just wants to buy a low mileage BMW 3-Series that's made as recent as possible. Are there any specific technical reasons you recommend an earlier year model?

An earlier model would just be a better value at this point as he could get one with an I6 as opposed to the I4 he'd probably have to get if he insisted on a refreshed model. If I were him, I'd go for an '06 or newer (merely to avoid the first year ('05) teething problems) 330i. It's a fantastic motor and the car is solid. The only thing that will ever go wrong would be an iDrive equipped car, especially as you live in a hot environment. As I always say, the fewer tech options, the better.

My only recommendation is to avoid the turbo'd (335i) models as they have already had problems with their high-pressure fuel pumps.

He's compared the prices and says the difference in cost for the I4 and I6 (even for a 2009 model) don't matter much to him.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I just wanted to confirm if there were any peculiarities with the I4. Sadly, he wants an Auto :S