Batteries

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
So my battery finally died this morning. I got a jumpstart and drove straight to the store to get a new one...where I am pretty sure I got tricked.

My battery was Exide 48-60 850 CCA/660CCA at 0F. They told me the only one that fits my car according to the computer is a Dularast H5-DLG *** 520 Cold Cranking Amps (650 cranking Amps) *** 60 reserve minutes. -> 3 year free replacement.

$135!!! It is actually smaller than the exide.

Does the battery type/size matter? I saw one that I liked the look of and it had a lot of CCA. Can I exchange the current one with the one I liked, as long as it fits in the bay?

(I had to buy this one because I desperately needed the car today and didn't have time to do any research)

So my battery finally died this morning. I got a jumpstart and drove straight to the store to get a new one...where I am pretty sure I got tricked.

My battery was Exide 48-60 850 CCA/660CCA at 0F. They told me the only one that fits my car according to the computer is a Dularast H5-DLG *** 520 Cold Cranking Amps (650 cranking Amps) *** 60 reserve minutes. -> 3 year free replacement.

$135!!! It is actually smaller than the exide.

Does the battery type/size matter? I saw one that I liked the look of and it had a lot of CCA. Can I exchange the current one with the one I liked, as long as it fits in the bay?

(I had to buy this one because I desperately needed the car today and didn't have time to do any research)

You got bullied into buying a smaller, more expensive battery. The previous owner probably opted for a more standard battery for an American car. Not that your car needs a bigger one, your old battery is about the same size as the one in my Roadmaster with a V8. I highly doubt they will let you just return the battery, they won't be able to sell it as new now. But if you really want the bigger battery, you could always try. And as long as it fits, and you are able to secure it, there is no problem with a bigger battery. It will be a bit heavier, but unless you are racing, who cares.

Problem solved. AutoZone exchanged my battery for the right one. They gave me $30 dollars back and gave me a more powerful and bigger battery. They said it has less warranty...big whoop, I don't expect this car to be running after 2 years.