1995 Pontiac Sunfire problems

xicedlovexoxo

Car(s)
2008 Subaru Impreza
Up until last night, my car has been starting just fine without any problems. Then out of nowhere, it wouldn't start at all. The key would turn in the ignition and all the electrics would come on and work just fine, but the ignition itself wouldn't actually turn over. All we got was a clicking when the key was turned in the ignition. I know my battery is good, but just in case we tried a jump-start but got nothing. We tried shifting through all the gears, but that didn't work either so we had to tow it home.

We pushed it into the garage today and then a couple hours later dad tried testing it to see what the problem was, but when I turned the key in the ignition this time it started up just fine. We tried turning it off and then starting it again a couple more times and she fired right up every time.

Now since the problem won't present again we can't figure out what, if anything, is wrong with it. Has anyone else ever had any similar problems? I'd like to figure out what this could be so we can fix it, if there's any problem at all or if this was just a one-time deal for whatever reason.

I'm betting the starter is shot.

Second the starter, but also would suggest you check to make sure you didn't accidentally try to start it in gear or that your gear position switch isn't hosed or wonky.

Fusable link? If the stater bench tests ok, find the link and change it out.

Well my car is an automatic, so it won't even let me take the key out of the ignition if the car isn't in park, so starting it in gear is not possible. Its still starting up fine at the moment, but dad bought a new starter just in case.

Domestic auto gearshifts can be sloppy enough to let you engage the key release but not the neutral safety start switch. Depends on how the car is wired.

Most probably the starter -Had the same problem with my 1991 Chevrolet S10, 4.3L with a 5 speed manual. The truck would always start with a push (not an electrical jump start) but would periodically not start for some mysterious reason. WHen it did that, it would click, but not even try to turn over. Took it to a friend of a family member and he never found a problem with the truck because it never acted up at his garage.

It will happen again, and as always, happened when I needed it most. Thank God I had/love manuals.

Could also try the relay for the starter. Had that problem on my car, little $3 part kept me from work one morning. (Not that I tried real hard to fix it right then and there. :p)

Well my car is an automatic, so it won't even let me take the key out of the ignition if the car isn't in park, so starting it in gear is not possible. Its still starting up fine at the moment, but dad bought a new starter just in case.

Has your gear selector linkage/cable failed? Can you change through all of the gears?

All of the gears work properly. Like I said, my dad checked those, and I haven't noticed anything funny with the gear shift at all when I've been driving it.

I can only repeat the Clarkson advice i gave in Random thoughts: if you hear the starter relay click, but the starter won't turn, having a second person gently bang on it with a hammer until it turns while keeping the key in "start" position might work wonders.

Basicly your problems started when you bought a Sunfire :p

But seriously, I also side with the fucked up starter crowd.

A bad starter won't prevent you from removing the key. I think the gear selector cable has failed or needs adjusting. Or the cyinder the key goes in is bad.