dangling wire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dangling wire?

I noticed this the other day, and have no idea what it is or how it got there:

It's a flat rubber wire that looks like it's been cut. It goes up into the chassis and has no give when I try to pull on it. I can't see what it is connected to.

While we were changing my tires, my boss theorized it must be a grounding wire and that he hasn't seen one in ages. I've never heard of such a thing, but my instinct says it is not supposed to be there.

Any ideas? Could this possibly be there on purpose or should I try to get rid of it?

I've seen grounding wires before, we had one on our old Sierra to stop you getting a static shock when you touch the car. Usually they are a strip of rubber with a wire core that hangs down and touches the road, this may be a cheap alternative.

I suppose you could get a multimeter and see if there's continuity between the end of the wire and the chassis.

Comment

Grounding wires, wow what is this 1982?
      Wait, how come you don't see them anymore?

Comment

me thinks you need a flashlight, jack stands, and a shirt you don't mind getting dirty...
        "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
        2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Re: dangling wire?

if the road is wet....wouldnt that grounding wire thing be a bit dangerous.

I agree with level, take a closer look at it. It would bug the absolute shit out of me otherwise.
          "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

Originally posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
            if the road is wet....wouldnt that grounding wire thing be a bit dangerous.
            It would only be an anti-static ground, something like this.

Like I said before we used to have one on our old Sierra estate, I assume with the length of the car and it's jellymould design there was a lot of surface area for a static charge to build up from the wind. It was never nice being zapped when you touched it.

Comment

I still see anti-static strips more often than you'd think. It's my number three old person accessory after door protectors and additional reflectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Andeh View Post
                I still see anti-static strips more often than you'd think. It's my number three old person accessory after door protectors and additional reflectors.
                What about door protectors with additional reflectors?

Comment

Grounding wire that drags on the road? I've never seen one.

Do all your brake , turn signals, running, and license plate lights work?
                  1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                  2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
                  1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                  2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Originally posted by narf
                  Did I mention it burps and farts like a Roman orgy?
                  Originally posted by Redliner
                  Wankel is better because BRAP
                  Originally posted by prizrak
                  The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

That's the first thing I checked, and they do. Actually haven't checked the license plate lights, I'll see if I can confirm that one.

The car will be lifted for an oil change sometime soon, so there will be a chance to investigate further. it's way too low to actually get my head under there.

Comment

Working...
                    X