Engine not getting fuel

TC

aka TomCat
So I've been trying to get my 1985 Toyota 4Runner back on the road, but the 22RE engine doesn't seem to be getting fuel. Everything else seems fine. When I turn the key in the ignition, I cannot hear any noise from the fuel pump. We checked the fuses and they all seem fine. The truck has been sitting for about 18 months and whatever fuel was in the tank evaporated. Is it a pretty safe bet that the electric fuel pump is bad? I'm going to replace the fuel filter either way, but could there be some other issue?

Yup, pump has probably packed it in. You can check this by teeing a fuel pressure gauge (rated for fuel injection pressures) into the system or connecting it to the test port and seeing if you get the minimum 30-32psi it needs to start. If it doesn't spike when you turn the key to on or try to start it, pump is dead.

Reactions: TC
or juist grab a battery, and connect it directly to the fuel pump (don't forget the remote), if you don't hear anything, it's busted...

Reactions: TC
In this specific case (this year and model), that's a safe technique. Unfortunately, with the advent of returnless fuel systems that's not something one should do as a matter of course because many of them use variable voltages to control the pump - and 12V can actually burn them out. So as a general troubleshooting technique, that is something we shouldn't do any more except in cases of very much older cars (pre-92). :(

So anyway, the holidays kicked my ass and I only just today put a new fuel pump in it. And it fired right up! And ran great! Right up until the thermostat opened and a nice little hole in the radiator made it's presence known. <_< How does a hole just show up in the radiator? Bah.

Oh well, at least it's running again and the new parts are on the way. Shouldn't be too much trouble to replace the radiator.

Hey, I had the same problem as you with my pickup. To fix it, unbolt the intake pipe and weld it to the blow off valve. Then take the windshield wiper fluid, and pour it into the cylinders, take the intercooler, and bolt it to the supercharger, and make sure they both receive a sufficient fuel to air ratio. Add a carburetor and a torque converter, and remove the camshaft. Hope this helped, cheers.

Hey, I had the same problem as you with my pickup. To fix it, unbolt the intake pipe and weld it to the blow off valve. Then take the windshield wiper fluid, and pour it into the cylinders, take the intercooler, and bolt it to the supercharger, and make sure they both receive a sufficient fuel to air ratio. Add a carburetor and a torque converter, and remove the camshaft. Hope this helped, cheers.

Can't tell if bot, troll or DEI kid. That's a pretty good fix though, although where should I put the extra torque converter? On my head?