automatic gearbox...

caro

Car(s)
2 girls, 1 cup, 2 bikes, 1 car...
So it's time for me to choose a car for my mother and I don't really know what to do. She wants something small or compact size, with auto gearbox from early to mid 00s. My first suggestion is a Merc A-class, but W169 is too expensive, and W168 is a bit rubbish. Ideas ?

I'd avoid sealed for life automatics. Gears will always grind no matter the lubricant, and magnets can only do so much.

W169 is too expensive
I don't know for how much W169's are going at the moment in Poland so can you give us a rough estimate of the budget?

I'd avoid sealed for life automatics. Gears will always grind no matter the lubricant, and magnets can only do so much.

And fluids start to break down after a certain number of heat cycles.

There's nothing wrong with 'sealed for life' gearboxes. Just ignore the sticker and service them at sensible intervals.

There's nothing wrong with 'sealed for life' gearboxes. Just ignore the sticker and service them at sensible intervals.

It depends. Some seal-for-life transmissions **cough Mercedes** are not easy to refill.

I guess it also depends on how old the car is if yo're buying second hand or how long you plan on keeping the car for. It may not even be a consideration during your ownership period.

Golf is probably the best though perhaps a TDI Audi A3 would be just as good.

Last edited:
Aren't A-Classes with autoboxes that awful robotised manual with a penchant for breaking? I'd be avoiding those.

Thanks. What about the B-class ? Is it any better ?

The robotized manual in the A-Class was just one choice of not having a clutch pedal. You could have had a regular auto (W168) or a CVT (W169).

What about a Citroen C4, those are quite stylish and the french make good compact cars because their all communists according to James May.

Some of PSA's automatics are robotized manuals. I hate to use the word "manual" for what for all intents and purposes is an automatic gearbox, but that's what they are. They took a manual gearbox and bolted a robot onto it that works the clutch and gearchange for you.

They seem to work well and get fuel economy comparable to a manual, but they're nowhere near as smooth shifting as a slushbox or dual clutch. They shift like a normal person, which is surprisingly annoying when you aren't the one doing the shifts.

If your mother are alright with that, I would say go for it. You could also check out the 307, it's the sister car to the C4. Or choose a car with one of the engines that got a normal slushbox.