Making a hallow carbon fiber item from a mold

Overall, yes. 4 if I go with method #1. The top of the wing, bottom of the wing and 2x mounts.

Is the wing profile itself a 3D profile or a 2D extrusion?

Is the wing profile itself, never mind the mounts, closer in design to A or B?

A
attachment.php

B
attachment.php

A would be simpler to fabricate.

Attachments

• 2007-porsche-911-gt3-rs-rear-spoiler-photo-36995-s-1280x782.jpg
    2007-porsche-911-gt3-rs-rear-spoiler-photo-36995-s-1280x782.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 14540d1417809861-no-junk-trunk-reardriftspoiler144cm003.jpg
    14540d1417809861-no-junk-trunk-reardriftspoiler144cm003.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 81
I think it's closer to A. I took this photo to show the only real complexity on the wing, not counting the ends (which, unlike the ones you posted, are integrated as one piece with the spoiler). The part in red is an edge that goes a long the entire spoiler until just before it curves down for the ends. At that point, it turns and goes to the leading edge. To the left of the edge, its a slight downward slope. To the right, it's flat.

As a side note, one of the modifications I want to make is to move the leading edge from green line A to around line B.

Yah. the ends wont really be plates but just the ends turned down and coming to a point. The supports would also be CF and not metal structure like in Spoiler B above. Having them blend perfectly isn't a huge concern since they will be not seen once on the car.

For the wing part, my idea is very similar to the spoiler on the new GT350R. The big difference is that the center of the wing part will be horizontal to the trunk lid, rather than angled so far up like the GT350R.

So, we have been describing this in five parts;

2x end plates
2x struts
1x mainplane

It may be possible to layup the endplates and mainplane in two parts; an upper and lower section and have them bonded together. I've seen builds which will put ribs and stringers along with internals spars, but that's very much based on traditional wing design. I think it's overkill for a design which won't generate significant aero loads; it'll just complicate your manufacturing.

Could you post up some schematic-esque pictures of the wing you'll be copying? Ie Front; side; top... I'll be better able to suggest a layup method.

I would reconsider manufacturing the struts from CF; the material is simply poor under compressive loads. In my opinion, you'll be much better off having some billet aluminium laser cut to fit. You'll get a much better result and it'll be cheaper.

With the current methods, It will be 3 parts. The wing with the turned down ends, and 2 supprts. I will look into non-CF parts but i plan to have this so low to the trunk lid, i'm not sure exactly how well it will go. It would pretty much be the bracket on the trunk right up against the bracket on the wing. I'll mess around with it after the wing is done and figure out the best way.

I also plans on only having the wing about a centimeter thick so i don't really know how much use I will have for internal ribbing.

The base spoiler is the OEM spoiler from a Nissan Silvia S15. The center support and taillight from the S15 have previously been removed and will no be present in my spoiler. If can't find any specific measurements you would like, I'll take them tonight and post back.

Edit: as far as actually making the parts, I'm thinking about using infusion to actually make the parts. It seems like if i take my time during setup and do it right, it will be hard to screw up the part.

Last edited:
I have nothing needed yet. Not planning on buying until spring when I have space to actually do anything and it's not below freezing outside. I'm just trying to figure everything out now so that I can get started right away later.