AUDI A 4..TCM is fault ..

Granddad

Car(s)
AUDI A4
My car is AUDI A4 2003 with CVT. . A few days ago the PRND indicator began to blink and the car went into the safe mode. My mechanic told it might be TCM problems. I called to the dealer and they told that if it is exactly the CTM problems I should pay them 1200-1300 $ for replacement. But it is too much for the 11-years-old car. I am looking for the competent advice. Any experience?

First problem - you bought an Audi. Parts are going to be expensive in the US, service is going to be even more expensive. There's a reason why older Audis are rarely seen outside of junkyards here.

As for the TCM issue, this is a long-known problem that Audi denied for years and years. Eventually Audi lost a lawsuit and for the 02-06 A4 and A6 there is/was extended warranty coverage unless the car is more than 10 years or 100,000 miles past its original sales date. Unfortunately, you're probably screwed on that. More info here: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-against-audi-gets-preliminary-approval/?_r=0

You need to stop driving the car immediately before you blow up one of a number of even more expensive components inside the transmission. No joke, continuing to drive with the gear indicators blinking is equivalent to stabbing a knife into your transmission's guts over and over and over and over - and replacing/rebuilding that CVT is minimum $5-6000 now. The TCM can be relatively easily removed from the transmission and sent out for repair - there are a number of shops that specialize in fixing the Audi screwups in that module now - but you're looking at about $250-750 to get it fixed depending on the shop and what's wrong with it. Check with Audizine for a list of recommended rework shops.

Last edited:
And this right there why I sold my A4 at a loss and bought a cheap ass Subaru (shut up my HG is fine!) If you can get the TCM repaired cheaply as Spectre mentioned do it but I would suggest selling the car right after and getting something more Japanese for cheap (ish)

Thank you for detailed answer. I?ll check this information.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife wanted AUDI ) That's it!:mrgreen:

Thank you for detailed answer. I?ll check this information.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife wanted AUDI ) That's it!:mrgreen:

Make your wife pay for the repairs out of her own money. This will quickly make her not want an Audi.

I found the link on ebay. The service is Module Repair Pro Van Nuys CA
01 02 03 04 AUDI A4 A6 TRANSMISSION CONTROLE MODUL TKM REPAIR KIT, WE INSTAL
?YOU WILL SEND US YOUR CONTROL MODULE FOR THE REPAIRS?
They are next door to me. Spent couple hours and paid not a lot. Everything seems to be in good working condition. Highly recommend.

Good. Now sell it before it craps itself again, there's a lot more that's going to go wrong with it in the near future that's about as expensive if not more so.