My 87 Volvo 740 turbo wont start

LeoNi

Car(s)
1987 Volvo 740 turbo
ive recently changed the clutch on it and once i had that ready i went to start the car and it ran for a bit but then shut off. ive checked so many things and have recently changed;
the distributor cap
spark plug wires and plugs
alternator
battery
fuel pump relay
at first i thought it was one of these but so far nothing
the engine turns but it just wont start the cost to repair it is getting high so im asking for help if anyone can

Are the plugs firing? I'd take one out and see if it sparks when you try starting the car. I'd also grab a multimeter and start testing with that before replacing random parts of your ignition system.

I'm guessing you have over 100k on it, so it might be that the crank sensor went out or was disconnected.

Last edited:
Spray some starter fluid into the intake. If it starts and dies, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't start, you have an ignition problem. But you should search the turbo brick forums, they'll have all your answers there.

I did a bit of Internetting, the crank sensor on these older Volvos is located over the flywheel. During the clutch change it might have been disconnected.

- - - Updated - - -

Spray some starter fluid into the intake. If it starts and dies, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't start, you have an ignition problem. But you should search the turbo brick forums, they'll have all your answers there.

Or just check to see if the spark plugs are firing. It requires less effort and doesn't risk damage to any sensors.

Damage to what sensors?

Are the plugs firing? I'd take one out and see if it sparks when you try starting the car. I'd also grab a multimeter and start testing with that before replacing random parts of your ignition system.

I'm guessing you have over 100k on it, so it might be that the crank sensor went out or was disconnected.

thanks ill check that first
is it the one connected to the distributor???

Last edited:
As a safety note, don't hold the spark plug in your hands. Unhappy things to get too close to when they fire.

anyone know where i can get diagrams for the things i may need to check where its a bit easier???

- - - Updated - - -

As a safety note, don't hold the spark plug in your hands. Unhappy things to get too close to when they fire.

is the crank sensor the one connected to the distributor???

anyone know where i can get diagrams for the things i may need to check where its a bit easier???

I'd look on a Volvo forum, or see if you can find the workshop manual. I have a feeling you may have just disconnected the crank sensor. So I would check that first.

is the crank sensor the one connected to the distributor???

The crank sensor will connect to your ECU. The sensor itself should be right above the flywheel. It counts the teeth to find the RPM.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I found on Google image:

2010-02-27_161547_rpm.gif

This site has some info on it:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineSensors.html#Crank_Postition_Sensor

The site is British so their passenger side is your driver side.

Last edited:
My 87 Volvo 740 turbo wont start

Damage to what sensors?

You can literally blow the sensor door or hot wire sensor clean out of a MAF with starting fluid and it doesn't work terribly well after that. (Read: Not at all.) To say nothing of what it can do to a MAP that's expecting 1bar and briefly gets 3 - and the rest of the vacuum system that you just blew all the hoses off of and/or ruined.

Starting fluid is absolutely last resort stuff.

As much as I hate Volvos and think they should almost all burn, it's rather uncool to give bad advice that could cause serious damage to the car of someone who's honestly asking for help and apparently doesn't know any better.

Last edited: