when changing a strut

Hatmouse

Car(s)
'03 Civic Si
When changing a strut, what are all the parts that must be changed? Is it required to change the mount as well?

I did a search but didn't find anything obvious in this forum.

Mounts are optional, but beyond a certain age (say 100-150k miles, but there's no hard line) it's good to change the top bearing in your front struts. Rear strut mounts can go forever, as they're usually solid metal without rubber parts, so unless they're broken or rusted through they don't have any wear components. Rubber or metal spring seats should be replaced if they're obviously worn, but again it's at your discretion.

It's recommended to change the mount as well since struts usually last longer than struts mounts and it's only 5 minutes more work when the strut is out anyway compared to half an hour or so if you only need to change the mount without the strut.

Additionally, when changing one strut it's recommended to change the strut on the other side as well since having two unequally worn struts isn't recommended.

P.S.: my rear strut mounts do have rubber parts in it, and they were so worn at the last inspection that they had to be changed as well.

Last edited:
Wait what ?:blink:

It's recommended to change the mount as well since struts usually last longer than struts and it's only 5 minutes more work when the strut is out anyway compared to half an hour or so if you only need to change the mount without the strut.

Additionally, when changing one strut it's recommended to change the strut on the other side as well since having two unequally worn struts isn't recommended.

P.S.: my rear strut mounts do have rubber parts in it, and they were so worn at the last inspection that they had to be changed as well.

Argh, of course I meant struts usually last longer than mounts...