No announcement yet.

The "Questions for Spectre" thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C) leave them out for awhile and let the stench dissipate.
    "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GRtak View Post
      C) leave them out for awhile and let the stench dissipate.
      I've been looking it up since Spectre's reply, and there are tons of people reporting who have these for 20 years and they still smell.
      There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Once acetate handles start stinking heavily, they don't stop. It's pretty much over.

Comment

A shame, since the blades seem nicer than any other screwdrivers I have in my stash (Stanley, Kobalt, newer Craftsman, etc).

I might try to pick up a can of clearcoat and dip 'em...I'll see how much it'll cost to do that and figure it out tomorrow.
          There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I would try the vinegar in a bowl thing and see if that helps. Put them in a box with a bowl of vinegar overnight. I have a few sets like that of varying ages and have not had that problem.
            "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

Well, it turns out I'm just lazy. I didn't have a need for any shellac/lacquer, and didn't want to buy one I might not actually use for something else, so I ended up just exchanging them at the store for a "fresh" set, and put it on Craigslist. I'm meeting someone tomorrow at noon to buy 'em for $15. (they were $27 full price, on sale for 22.99 (I know I got them cheaper than that). Before I listed them online, though, I did pry the side of the packaging open just a bit to get a whiff...and it was a strange mix of vanilla, lemon, and vomit. I've read that one company mixes vanilla scent in their plastic to help mask this odor.

Seeing the look on the cashier's face when he stuck his nose in the bag after I told him they smelled, though, was amusing. He whipped his head back, and went "Whew!"

I was actually at OSH, Sears, and Home Depot today and had a hard time finding *any* screwdrivers that weren't the same material, or other plastic but with rubber (I have had so much bad luck with rubber deteriorating and getting sticky)...except multi-bit screwdriver things, which they make in other hard plastics all day.

Comment

FYI: http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2015/08/...t-screwdriver/

SK makes some really nice ones: http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Tools-860...ds=Screwdriver

Also, watch eBay for sets of the *old* black handled/gold printed Craftsman Professional screwdrivers. Someone filched the set I had a decade back but they were great. Here's an example of what they looked like - hard plastic non-stench handles and all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Pr...133858&vxp=mtr

The orange ones that followed weren't quite as good, but were close. They're better than anything Sears is foisting off these days. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-50-piece...3D301862133858
                Last edited by Spectre; February 4th, 2016, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Did you sell your red truck?
                  1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                  2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
                  1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                  2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Originally posted by narf
                  Did I mention it burps and farts like a Roman orgy?
                  Originally posted by Redliner
                  Wankel is better because BRAP
                  Originally posted by prizrak
                  The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

No, he just renamed it "NOTHING".
                      "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
                      -Redliner, ironically

Comment

Heh

Comment

Okay, out of morbid curiosity, what problems are there with a 98 jag XK8? Is this the engine that slowly eats itself?

Comment

Yup, it has Nikasil issues, timing chain issues and while it does not have the $15K Mercedes box of fail to deal with, it has the $4-5K ZF box of fail instead that goes out in the same time frame.

Comment

So it is a perfect candidate for an LS swap.

Comment

Originally posted by GRtak View Post
                                So it is a perfect candidate for an LS swap.
                                Except then nothing in the car will work, neither will the CATS active suspension.

Comment

Somebody has tried to make it work: http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/xk8-lsx.asp No word on if this ready for primetime.
                                  "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
                                  -Redliner, ironically

Comment

That is interesting.

If I were to get the car, it would be dirt cheap. At that price I can get aftermarket suspension and vintage air.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Comment

The "Questions for Spectre" thread

Originally posted by Labcoatguy View Post
                                      No, he just renamed it "NOTHING".
                                      I've been on tapatalk all week. it doesn't show people's vehicles.

The difference between a manually shifted auto and a proper manual is about the same as masturbation and sex.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
                                        I've been on tapatalk all week. it doesn't show people's vehicles.
                                        If you tap the poster's profile pic in the Android version it does. Not sure about iOS.
                                        "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

Well yeah but it's not like the desktop version where you just see it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X