What does your car say when it's running low on fuel?

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
I was playing with the settings and just noticed mine says different things according to the language I set.
In Portuguese, it tells me "Attention! Refueling needed", while in English and German, the phrasing is slightly different: "Attention! Low fuel" and "Achtung! wenig Kraftstoff!".
On a sidenote, the car we use at the university (also a FIAT, but older model than my Palio) has TWO warnings for fuel, which I've never seen before.:lol:
It something like "refueling needed" and if you keep going, it tells you "lack of fuel imminent".
What does your car say?

Last edited:
You mean besides misfire chug chug die? In all seriousness, I just get a light that comes on in the fuel gauge.

They wait. Silently. Patiently. They wait for their owner to show compassion as they were taught to do back at the time of their creation. Almost unfalteringly secure in their belief that their patience will be rewarded. Sometimes they will get impatient, it comes naturally from their decades of work, but even then all they do is politely cough. A gentle reminder to glance at the fuel gauge and give them a much needed refreshment.

In short: Nothing. They say nothing and have no warning lights.

Last edited:
The Crown Vic just has a little light that says low fuel on it.

You mean besides misfire chug chug die? In all seriousness, I just get a light that comes on in the fuel gauge.

All three do that? :p

They wait. Silently. Patiently. They wait for their owner to show compassion as they were taught to do back at the time of their creation. Almost unfalteringly secure in their belief that their patience will be rewarded. Sometimes they will get impatient, it comes naturally from their decades of work, but even then all they do is politely cough. A gentle reminder to glance at the fuel gauge and give them a much needed refreshment.

That's poetry. :blink:

The Crown Vic just has a little light that says low fuel on it.

Damn.
Where are the people with more modern cars? :p :lol:

My loved ones produce a loud, ear breaking beep when trip computer displays range somewhere between 80 and 86 km. Then when it falls below something like 70 km, it just reads "RANGE: --". Next step is presumably dying, but I have never went that far in my experiments.

On my car the warning comes when the range comes down to 40 km. I do not remember exactly what the message is. I think just "Please refuel". I have not experimented with other languages than English. Swedish is not available on my car.

My range goes all the way to 0. I have seen this a couple of times.

A small LED in the gauge lights up. That's it.

That's poetry. :blink:

Damn.
Where are the people with more modern cars? :p :lol:

Thomas' Caddy has a little "LOW" graphic appear in the cluster when you have one bar of the fuel graph left. When the last bar goes out, the "LOW" starts flashing.

My 919 flips a bright orange light on.

My Bronco will stall. The custom gas gauge in the Jag will start flashing E.

1 second long beep accompanied by this symbol:

maxresdefault.jpg

Can't be dismissed, so it overrides all song titles until you put enough fuel in it.

That's right, my cars always learn that i am their God, and God is good! :p

I have only had two that had any notice of being low on fuel. The Electra 225 had a red LED that would turn with about 1/8th of a tank remaining, and it would flash with mostly fumes in the tank.

The Roadmaster is like Thomas' Caddy, but I did not have the digital readout. My gauge was also off, so I don't know at what level it came on exactly. When it came on, I needed to get gas, so I never seen it flash. ;)

Mine does it somewhere between 90 and 120 km, depending on how much lead is in your foot at the time (so 10% of total range).

My loved ones produce a loud, ear breaking beep when trip computer displays range somewhere between 80 and 86 km. Then when it falls below something like 70 km, it just reads "RANGE: --". Next step is presumably dying, but I have never went that far in my experiments.

Yeah, mine stops displaying "range" when you hit the fuel reserve.
The warning on the dash comes on when the orange light comes on, but only for a few seconds.
After that, it beeps and shows the warning if you start the car still in reserve.

My old '01 Cougar had an idiot light, and it would chime a unique only-used-for-this-notification tone at 25 miles of estimated range remaining, 10 miles, 5 miles, and 0. Each time you started the car while it was in this range, it would chime again.

My new car only has an idiot light. Nothing else. It's caught me off guard several times. Haven't run OUT of gas, but i've been close.

Last edited:
The Civic has a light.
The Corsa had a light and it'd flash "FILL UP" or something on the display where the odometer usually is.
The Dolomite 1300 reads anything between 1/4 full and "below 0" on the gauge before running out without warning.
The Dolomite 1850 has a gauge which functions much like the 1300's but also features a "low fuel" warning light on the dash which can be activated by driving up hills and sharp cornering.

I have no idea. I assume a small light or something. I've never run it low enough to find out.

Y'know, I haven't let the Jag or the MR2 get low enough to try; the prospect of damage to either of those is terrifying enough that I don't risk it. They both have little LEDs by the gas gauge though, so I assume.

At about an eighth of a tank there's a yellow illuminated petrol pump icon coming up, and it'll pop up the remaining range... can be confirmed away.
I think the Beetle's satnav will also suggest finding a station, don't quite remember because it's only been that empty once so far, right after leaving the Autostadt.