Jag XJS-12 1991 Transmission Swap

JohnnyRocket

Car(s)
Jaguar XJS, Supra 7GME, Tiberon, Camero SS
I have a 1991 XJS V-12 I just luv to death, BUT...
I would like to swap for a contemporary 6 or 7 speed transmission, standard preferred. 6spd OD may be considered. A 5spd OD or stick would have to be so cheap and easy, I'd do it to hold me over for a couple years while waiting for a 7spd stick or paddle on the cheap.
Has anyone done this?
Do you know of anyone who has?
What transmissions would work?
Would they bolt right up?
Or maybe some kind of minimal alteration done?
I'm not looking to pay out the Wazoo or sign over 1st born to get it done, that's why I'm hoping at best something used would bolt right up... Install a clutch system.. Then vroom vroom go go Speed Racer gooooo.
Any serious help/info/step by step layout and directions(films/photos/pie-charts/8th grade essays/etc.) is greatly appreciated.

TY

I have a 1991 XJS V-12 I just luv to death, BUT...
I would like to swap for a contemporary 6 or 7 speed transmission, standard preferred. 6spd OD may be considered. A 5spd OD or stick would have to be so cheap and easy, I'd do it to hold me over for a couple years while waiting for a 7spd stick or paddle on the cheap.
Has anyone done this?
Do you know of anyone who has?
What transmissions would work?
Would they bolt right up?
Or maybe some kind of minimal alteration done?
I'm not looking to pay out the Wazoo or sign over 1st born to get it done, that's why I'm hoping at best something used would bolt right up... Install a clutch system.. Then vroom vroom go go Speed Racer gooooo.
Any serious help/info/step by step layout and directions(films/photos/pie-charts/8th grade essays/etc.) is greatly appreciated.

TY

I looked into this. There are not that many places that have the conversion parts. Walt at VintageJag does. His price quote on the telephone for all of the parts was close to $8000. A "contemporary" 6 or 7 speed? Forget it. They use a computer to assist in shifting. If you work for NASA in their electronics division, be my guest. This is not a conversion you can get done "on the cheap". Your rear end dif ratio matters. You have to match that up to the specific trans you are going to use. You need a clutch plate, modified pedal box, pedal, shifter, trans, adapter plate, modified trans axle. I talked to a guy who did this, and he swore if he had known how much work and expense it turned into, he would never have considered it. It can be done, but your mindset is completely totally waaaay off. Think inflated aftermarket prices x 5. Then a lengthy install process. Access to a machine shop and CNC lathe highly recommended. There is only one trans that works well enough to use (it's a 5 speed tremac). Drivenman had a kit at one time. It was not high quality, and expensive, around $5000 10-15 years ago. It did not include everything you needed and had little in the way of instructions. Their website is no longer available. There was a place in Australia that provided a Supra conversion, but those are getting hard to find, you needed a specific year for the turbo model, and you are going to pay a fortune in shipping costs. In you live in England, there are some places that do this type of conversion and have the parts and knowledge. In the US, the only market is Walt @ VintageJag and his price quotes get higher each time you talk to him. Call Coventry West and see if you can talk to service dept. They might have someone who'll educate you. In my opinion based on the questions you asked, if your post was not a joke (I'm still unsure--most jag owners post on the main jag site, and all you'd have to do is google xjs manual conversion swap and you'd find the few places that supply the parts), your mechanical know-how is as limited as your resources. This is a bad car for a novice with shallow pockets.