High Definition Playback Guide

For Macs, the quickest way to convert I've found is using mkv4xbox.

this converts it into mp4, then I just copy the file to my ps3 and watch it on there. Superbe!

I think the BBC used MBAFF which chooses interlaced or progressive depending on what's best suited to the situation. The other broadcasters like Sky and Virgin will alter it to match the hardware their customers have.

They may have changed this since I used it though.

PS3 users with Mac, QuickTime can also change the container from mkv to mp4 (perian must be installed). Just choose export, then select "movie to mp4". Then click on "options" and select from the drop-down box named Video Format "Pass through". Since there is no actual video conversion, the process is rather fast and the quality remains the same.

This might also work on QuickTime for Windows, but I have yet to try it there.

On another topic - is there ANY reason why there should be any rip OTHER THAN the 1080i/p? If you want it in another resolution, then by all means, downsample the video.... but why have a SD, 720 and 1080 torrent? That seems silly.

Average Joe with average 37-42" LCD will not notice any difference between 720p and 1080p material. One needs very large display to tell the difference, like home cinema projector or such. Of course, if you're a serious home theatre enthusiasist, you probably can tell the difference. But how many here actually are? I bet that most of the 720p -downloaders are just averga ppls with average 20-24" LCD monitor that they'll use to wach the TG episodes.

But I dont mind, as I'm having such a slow internet. I'll just DL the 720p -torrent to wach TG right away and will DL the 1080p afterwards for my home theatre setup (DLP projector, proper 7.1 audio etc).

Linux Users

Seriously? You're a big enough geek to run Linux but can't figure out how to play a x264/MKV video? Tsk tsk.
And for those of you who are not geeks and run Linux anyway: VLC is available for Linux, too. Look for a package named "vlc" in your package management or, if there isn't one, have a look at the VLC homepage.

Worth noting for those of you, like me, who are in the habit of tossing the divx/xvid file onto a disc/thumb drive and playing it on your home DVD player. The only way you can play a MKV file like that is if you have a blu-ray player that can handle the format. There are no regular DVD players that can play the HD MKV format.

Damn!! :cry:

Well no regular DVD player can handle xvid/divx either, you also need one that is designed to handle that format.

Philips does and some of the newer models even have a USB port in the front. :mrgreen:

I cant confirm it works on this file, cause i don't have it yet, but for the PS3 i have used TSMuxer in the past. It just converts the MKV to a M2TS which is still x264, Still HD, and MUCH faster then a full Mpeg2 re-encode. When the download is finished i will try it and let you know.

Dr.

Philips does and some of the newer models even have a USB port in the front. :mrgreen:

Which - in my book - makes them non-regular DVD players :mrgreen: I'd call them DVD players with specifically added xvid/divx/USB functionality.
Just like a regular BluRay player won't handle mkv x264 unless specifically added.

ok, so far mac wise:

Perian, plays it fine on the computer(if fast enough) requires pro version of QT for export. which I do not have.

Handbrake, video looked great but the audio was messed up

MPEG Streamclip, HOLY SLOW! @ work on a dual quad core 2.8GHz machine w/ 8GB ram and it looks as though it's going to take ALL DAY to convert it...

BAH!

For thgse PS3 users, one of the best options is TsMuxer.....there is a version for Windows & Linux.....just convert the *.mkv to an *.m2ts. It's very fast since in this case TsMuxer just repackages the audio/video streams into a PS3 compatible m2ts container w/o any transcoding etc.

i posted this in another thread, i thought it might get helpful here

HOW TO TRANSFORM HD MKV FILES FOR USE WITH YOUR XBOX360 / PS3

all you need it GOTSent

http://anonymity.com/?http://sentry23.googlepages.com/

it works like a charm, and is idiot-proof

DON'T USE MKVTOVOB

transcoding the file to MPEG-2 will degrade the quality like hell. keep it as a MP4/H.264 file. use GOTsent or any other program that will change the container from MKV to AVI. there is no need to transcode

I'd connect the computer to the TV. Problem solved.

Only problem might be the location of the computer. But if you have a laptop.. why even bother with that converting stuff...

yeah, does not transcode all that well. As posted on page one, I'm trying to get a copy to play on my AppleTV. computer at home is so old I can't even play SD vids on it :lol:

In any case I found a program called MKVTools, seems to have worked. I'll find out tonight if it works on my AppleTV will report back what I find out. :)