High Definition Playback Guide

Any word on if this will play on a PS3? I'm guessing no if it's in .mkv file format.
How can you play this on a Playstation 3? I've played every single kind of video format there is on the PS3 but this one just isn't having it. The PS3 doesn't even recognize that the file is there. Anyone know of a way to get this to play on a PS3?!
I've had similar issues with getting the Polar Special 1080p to play on my PS3. I've used Handbrake to convert the video, but Handbrake pukes on the conversion and the video and audio is choppy. Any advice or suggestions?
Is there any way to get that x264 into a different container format?

PS3 Users

Once you have the MKV file, you can transcode this file to work on your PS3 via mkv2vob. Once installed, be sure to check Use Old Fire Format & Always Transcode DTS and select MPEG-2 (Fast) from the Transcoding Codec drop down in the Configuration tab if you don't have a DTS system (if you have it, you'll know it.) otherwise the sound will not play on your PS3. From there copy to USB drive and place on your PS3, and enjoy!

attachment.php

PS: So you're downloading 720p, eh? I thought there is no reason to have anything but 1080i/p...

That's not true.
720p 1280 x 720 = 921,600 Px/Frame.
1080i 1900 x 540 = 1,026,000 Px/Frame.
1080p 1900 x 1080 = 2,052,000 Px/Frame.

There is really not that much of a pixel diffrence between 720p and 1080i, and in some fast shots 720p is MUCH better because there is to tearing. (As 1080i throws up half the image, and the next half of the image in the next frame, there can be some distortion. - I can give a longer example, and explaination, but not now.)

Think I found a way to watch these on the PS3. Download MKV2VOB from this site :

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob

Use that program and it will basically make a copy of the file but with MPEG2 encoding which the PS3 will now understand. And as far as I can tell, it's not degrading the quality at all which is fantastic.

Yes, and that happens because, it's really not transcoding at all in most cases. It's just taking the RAW feed from the audio and video and putting it in another container format. That's also why this is so damn fast. You can change from the MKV format to the MPG format in around a minute, where as if you transcoded it it could take at best a half an hour if not MUCH longer!

Attachments

• mkv2vob-configuration.png
    mkv2vob-configuration.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
To make sure the guide thread doesn't get raped more I'll just go to bed...

PS: Well if someone talks directly to me I guess there's no way around it...

That's not true.
720p 1280 x 720 = 921,600 Px/Frame.
1080i 1900 x 540 = 1,026,000 Px/Frame.
1080p 1900 x 1080 = 2,052,000 Px/Frame.

There is really not that much of a pixel diffrence between 720p and 1080i, and in some fast shots 720p is MUCH better because there is to tearing. (As 1080i throws up half the image, and the next half of the image in the next frame, there can be some distortion. - I can give a longer example, and explaination, but not now.)

My reference to "no reason to have anything but 1080i/p" is based on coloradoSTi's posts claiming exactly that. My posts do give reasons for other formats to exist.

The source is 1080i, because BBCHD is 1080i. Any release made from that starts out with the same set of information. Any progressive release made from that still suffers the issues arising from interlacing TV cameras.

You seem to forget by the way, interlaced fields come at twice the frequency (assuming the BBC is broadcasting 1080i50, their FAQ only say 1080i). 25 pictures per second equals 50 fields per second, so you'll get the same number of pixels in 1080i50 as in 1080p25 per second, or twice the pixels per second as in 720p25.

How should 720p be MUCH better in any way if it is derived from 1080i than the original 1080i feed?

No need to do a long explanation for me, I'm fine without it :lol:

Last edited:
PS3 Users

Once you have the MKV file, you can transcode this file to work on your PS3 via mkv2vob. Once installed, be sure to check 'Always Transcode DTS' in the Configuration tab if you don't have a DTS system (if you have it, you'll know it.) otherwise the sound will not play on your PS3. From there copy to USB drive and place on your PS3, and enjoy!

Thanks for the helpful tip! Its nice to keep tidbits of info like this for when I have to deal with Windows (thankfully, rarely).

This post is much better than other posts which just bitch and complain.

Thanks for the helpful tip! Its nice to keep tidbits of info like this for when I have to deal with Windows (thankfully, rarely).

This post is much better than other posts which just bitch and complain.

I've updated my previous post with some more information:

Transcoding Codec: MPEG-2 (Fast)
Check: Use Old Fire Format & Always Transcode DTS

Can I burn this file onto a dvd and just pop it into a bluray player and it'll work? How do I make it viewable on bluray players?

Can I burn this file onto a dvd and just pop it into a bluray player and it'll work? How do I make it viewable on bluray players?

That's a very good question, I think that might require some transcoding I'm not very familiar with the file format that Blu-Ray uses, I'll look into it.

If they're similar in size then the 1080i/p can't be better. Where would that additional image information come from with the same compression algorithms?

So you think you need 2.25 times more data just because there are 2.25 times more pixels because everything is grade 2 simple linear algebra where you come from?

There's no reason the 1080 file would need to be any more than ~2 to 2.2 gigs where the 720 file is 1.5 gigs because video sizes don't need to expand linearly with resolution. See 30~35 gig MPEG2 video files for BluRay compared to 9 gigs for standard def - yet is more than 6 times the video and more than 6 times the audio with the same codecs.

i may not be as quick and smooth of a talker as Narf, but i do know video compression better than him. And i know 2.2 gigs is not a lot more than 1.5.

The easiest way i know of is on a Mac using Roxio Toast 9 or 10 - you can build and make a Blu-Ray compatible video and put it on a DVD+-R disc that will play on a BluRay player in full HD.

Obviously, your video has to be less than 4.5 (9 gig for dual layer), but it will play on your BluRay and be full HD. Crank the bitrate down to nothing more than the original file (someplace between 5-10 mbps), and it will be fantastic and should fit even on a single layer DVD.

I'll let others more versed with Windows to tell you how to do it on Windows.

To make sure the guide thread doesn't get raped more I'll just go to bed...

PS: Well if someone talks directly to me I guess there's no way around it...

My reference to "no reason to have anything but 1080i/p" is based on coloradoSTi's posts claiming exactly that. My posts do give reasons for other formats to exist.

The source is 1080i, because BBCHD is 1080i. Any release made from that starts out with the same set of information. Any progressive release made from that still suffers the issues arising from interlacing TV cameras.

You seem to forget by the way, interlaced fields come at twice the frequency (assuming the BBC is broadcasting 1080i50, their FAQ only say 1080i). 25 pictures per second equals 50 fields per second, so you'll get the same number of pixels in 1080i50 as in 1080p25 per second, or twice the pixels per second as in 720p25.

How should 720p be MUCH better in any way if it is derived from 1080i than the original 1080i feed?

Everything that Narf said in this post is true.

my post was about how i still don't see how 2.2 gigs is "a lot more" than 1.5 such that there's a reason for both a 720 and a 1080 file... I was simply arguing that a single 1080 file seems like it would be enough to scratch the itch of those willing to download a big file - both 720 and 1080 files will be close enough in size that just the best one seems necessary to me.

and i'm just guessing how big the 1080 file is going to be.... but i bet a donut im going to be pretty damn close.

See 30~35 gig MPEG2 video files for BluRay compared to 9 gigs for standard def - yet is more than 6 times the video and more than 6 times the audio with the same codecs.

Ok, let's apply some grade 2 linear algebra.
1920x1080 divided by 720x576 equals 5, not "more than 6".
5.1 AC3 for HD divided by 5.1 AC3 for DVD equals 1, not "more than 6".

9 gigs for an SD movie? Wow. A dual-layer DVD9 will only hold 8,500,000,000 Byte or 7.91GB.
Divide your 35GB by the theoretical maximum of 7.91GB, get 4.4. Add a couple of DVD menus, a second audio stream, subtitles and you'll quickly get a factor of 5, which happens to equal the factor of 5 for the pixels.

i may not be as quick and smooth of a talker as Narf, but i do know video compression better than him.

Whatever.

And i know 2.2 gigs is not a lot more than 1.5.

A 50% increase. Your car costs $20,000? Ok, just for you it's $30,000.

I was simply arguing that a single 1080 file seems like it would be enough to scratch the itch of those willing to download a big file

Which would leave people with medium-performance modern pcs or high-performance older pcs out in the rain. Decoding and displaying more than twice the pixels is more than twice the work. Can't scratch the itch if the performance fails.

Last edited:

I must admit, I did not know that about BBC broadcasting in 1080i, I have to say this makes me slightly upset for a fast paced car program. Indeed narf, you come up with many good points regarding 1080i to 720p, I thought we where talking about a direct apples to apples compassion of file formats. That was my mistake, I'm sorry for the miss understanding. Your also right that the 1080i to 720p will have the same pitfalls of the 1080i feed, there is little to no point of doing this conversion. I do hope this clears a few things up between us.

If you would like to post the long explanation of the standards that would be great, and if your willing why it's not a very good idea to downgrade a 1080i feed to a 720p and where the pitfalls of doing just that are (why it provides no real tangible benefits to the community, et cetera, et cetera.)

Converting 1080i to 720p provides the advantage of being smaller and playable by lower-performance hardware at the trade-off of slightly lower quality.

Just search the forum, I bet the same thing has been discussed over and over.

...sheesh its late/early, really should go to bed :D

The easiest way i know of is on a Mac using Roxio Toast 9 or 10 - you can build and make a Blu-Ray compatible video and put it on a DVD+-R disc that will play on a BluRay player in full HD.

Obviously, your video has to be less than 4.5 (9 gig for dual layer), but it will play on your BluRay and be full HD. Crank the bitrate down to nothing more than the original file (someplace between 5-10 mbps), and it will be fantastic and should fit even on a single layer DVD.

I'll let others more versed with Windows to tell you how to do it on Windows.
Ok, thanks yeah i'm using windows 7.

Damn I missed the awesome video nerd argument.

~~~~~~~~~~~

720P for HD television shows

1080P for bluray rips

End of story.

For the PS3, my favorite solution is PS3 Media Server. While I haven't tried it with this specific file, It is usually able to transcode most things on the fly.

OMG a Ferrari looks so good in HD! :D

mkv2vob does a perfect job and then you can stream the AVI file via windows media to your PS3
Just tell mkv2vob to save as .avi or just rename the file. You do .avi just so windows would stream it. The PS3 will understand it's mp4.

Last edited: