Would you donate cash to have this forum a real makeover?

Would you donate cash to have this forum a real makeover?

• Yes

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Depends

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotpants

Car(s)
KIA Sportage
Before upgrading to vb4 FG looked nice and sleek, and i know the staff behind works to make it look nice.
But would you support making it looking more pro?

Paying a pro to make the forum look more complete/nice.

It's not that I don't want to support the site, but it why pay money when the site looks this good after only a few days? Also head over the the Vb4 thread, Viper is doing an awesome job of taking our suggestions.

I view the forums in Lynx, so this doesn't affect me.

If Quiky and Viper put out the call for cash, definately. But quite frankly, they (the collective 'they') are doing a fantastic job and I have no complaints visually with the site. Yes, there are still some technical niggles that need to be fixed, but with everything going on, they have come a tremendous way in a week. Yes, lots of custom code with the last site, and if it's returning to this site, will have to be redone. That's just time and effort. Remember - patience is a virtue. They have lives and jobs and other things to do. And compared to other vB sites out there, FG is far above most of them in terms of customisation.

Remember, it's not a subscription site, they aren't getting paid by members to run this site. And how many commercial sites would enable you to give this much input into layout/design? The few I've seen have just done a blanket upgrade and you either put up with it or leave. If you do want to contribute, you already can (donate here) but these guys have already contributed lots of their own time and money for which, I at least, am in awe of. The time and effort they put in for this group of people to whinge about the shade of red? If it had been me, I'd've been infractioning people left, right and centre.

People need to understand that time moves on, things get upgraded, and you can't always have what you were comfortable with (some people have more problems with change than others). It is a matter of getting used to new layouts (which I'm finding fairly straightforward). Do I want someone who has no feel for the site or the 'family' that we have here playing with the site. Nope.

Reactions: Jay
Lemme just save you the trouble: unless we're talking very, very significant amounts of money (in the thousands), it ain't gonna happen. We are trying to make as few modifications to the theme's code as possible to save us trouble down the road when new versions of vBulletin come out that have modified templates. The forums are going to stay in the current layout.

CSS/images are easy to change (see red theme vs. black change) and don't cause us trouble down the road though.

Easy to change = several hours and hundreds of variables + css edits.

Crap...reading comprehension fail, I thought the poll asked "Would you support the change to a new look?" as if it were asking "Do you not like the current look?" I love the current look but if people wanted it to change, of course, I'd support it.

Paying a "pro" would require a bucket of money. Paying a student to rush some design for 500? would not result in a better job than the current staff managed in the short time until now, let alone what they will do in the near future.

You'd have to differentiate between looks and features as well. A designer most likely will not be able to implement some feature, for example the automagic updating of new posts in an active thread, while a programmer most likely will be crap at graphics. Hence you would need two buckets of money, one for each pro. Then another bucket to get the two to synchronize with each other. :lmao:

I don't know if it's realistic to want it to look better than it looks now.

I'd prefer the main site get a big makeover.. Long overdue!

:angrylock:

Frankly, I think the new layout looks great, and I know the admins have been busting their ass to fix all the glitches and make it pretty, while all they've gotten in return is ceaseless bitching from members. If you want to pay money to make the forum look good, I suggest following ashspet's link and giving some cash to our excellent admins. They well deserve it.

^ I agree.

It's not about how shiny and nice it looks, it's about the quality of the content and the community.

Penisfacecunt.

Like most people on the Internet, I prefer average looking (but well working) stuff that's free than to pay for nice stuff. Sorry... :+/

Lemme just save you the trouble: unless we're talking very, very significant amounts of money (in the thousands), it ain't gonna happen. We are trying to make as few modifications to the theme's code as possible to save us trouble down the road when new versions of vBulletin come out that have modified templates. The forums are going to stay in the current layout.

CSS/images are easy to change (see red theme vs. black change) and don't cause us trouble down the road though.

Status
Not open for further replies.