Midnight color theme for the forum

I like it a lot on my phone (OLED display, so should consume less).

My only gripe, the hit detection on the "go to first unread post" icon is limited to the small icon, instead of also en-globing the bigger icon left of it like in the "FinalGear vB4" theme

Let's replace the smilies then..

Then it'd break the white theme.

I think we could fix it with PNG smilies but good luck finding a set.

Does PNG do animation? :wave:

Gubu_animation.png

Chrome animates png not
As far as the theme goes, it's nice. I can see the smiley thing affecting people with OCD though :D

Just kidding. Other than having a completely different set of smileys and somehow working into the code so the forum will display the dark set for dark theme users, Idk what can you do.

Yeah and there's nothing we can do about it I think because it's a result of aliasing on the GIF. The GIFs are transparent but in order to avoid jaggies, it fades out slightly.

I see. It doesn't matter to me anymore as I've switched back to the default theme, the gray bg for posts/text is much easier on my eyes for some reason.

I use the default theme as well.

Can each theme use its own smileys? If so, then it's nothing a bunch of people knowledgable in Photoshop can't fix.

I'd be game to help take on a couple.

Can each theme use its own smileys? If so, then it's nothing a bunch of people knowledgable in Photoshop can't fix.

No, but we could use CSS to target and replace the smilies with other ones based on theme I think.

I have been using the midnight theme on my laptop for the past week, which I only use after work in the evening, while still using the regular one at work and such. I can't shake the feeling that the default theme is easier to read and thus easier on the eyes in general. But I very much like the noticeably reduced brightness at night.. I'll keep doing some more "long term" testing.

I agree with both counts. The dark scheme is easier on the eyes when viewing in bed. When in the standard scheme, you have to keep the brightness way down, which reduced the contrast. In "night mode", you can keep the brightness turned up, which increases the contrast of the post text without the whole screen blasting bright white light.

But there's too much medium grey text on dark grey background for some of the links.

Last edited:
I noticed there is now a "Blackstealth" theme, so I switched to that. Me likey. Though the coloured usernames all appear white now, not sure if intentional (ooh, stealthy), or an oversight.