FinalGear Pre-ringmeet Roadtrip 2012: July 20-26th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, no problem! I'll just be busy with work and won't have that much time, but we can arrange it and I'll be there in the evening!

I guess I'll try and take Friday off as well...

+1 for slovenian detour!

nicjasno is ducking out too. Also financial reasons. He will be joining us on the final leg towards the campsite, though, probably. ish.

Yeah its really pissing me off. For 2 month this financial thing is in progress and the scheduled transfer was next week. Now they noticed that due to unique circumstances its blocked 3 month and I even get to pay a fee for each month, wich I then get back in 3 month, even with interest (like 10 cent...). WTF law!?

Hm, crap. I can offer a free ride from Frankfurt until the last night in Austria, but I suppose it's not much help for anyone.

I'm doing the roadtrip in any case.

Last edited:
Great. Due to legal crap an expected payment to me is delayed for 3 month. Roadtrip is off the table for me. Sorry :(

Since I was planning on going together with thomas (if I was going in the first place), this means I'm definitely out now too, although it was looking pretty bleak for me anyway.

To be honest, I am not sure I want to take the car with me any more. I've been trying to calculate various options, and it's just so stupidly expensive this year...

If I compare the "commute" (read: boring) part of the trip, let's say Helsinki to Frankfurt and back, counting fuel and sleeping (so a bunk on a ferry), but not food:

1. Own car with direct ferry to Germany:

Ferry Helsinki - Rostock/Travem?nde - Helsinki = 778 ?
Driving to Frankfurt and back ~1200km = 100l of fuel = 170 ?
Total: 948 ?

2. Own car with ferry to Sweden then to Germany:

Ferry Helsinki - Stockholm - Helsinki = 230 ?
Driving from Stockholm to Malm? and back ~1200km = 100l of fuel = 170 ?
Ferry Malm? - Travem?nde - Malm? = 336 ?
Driving to Frankfurt and back ~1200km = 100l of fuel = 170 ? (Here one could drive via Denmark, but consider extra hotel night + tolls + extra kms, and you'll find that it's not cheaper)
Total: 906 ?

3. Flying to Frankfurt and renting a car for the rest of trip (19-30.7):

HEL-FRA-HEL flights = 280 ?
Cheap sportscar or cheap cabrio as just checked from sixt = 500 ?
Total: 780 ?

I do want to drive on the trip, so I'm not considering a passenger seat here. Also, I would obviously prefer driving my car over a rental, but a) did that last year, b) even when not considering other overheads in addition to fuel, possible(probable) breakdowns and other risks, the stupid rental is still much cheaper than direct ferry, and marginally cheaper than Swedish option. And the 3rd option is not even optimized, I bet there are cheaper flights and cheaper rentals too.

EDIT: Corrected the mistakes in ferry prices, and took into account the discounts for return trip.

Last edited:
You are the worst person I know. I hope you end in a Golf Cabrio 1.2.

Is there an up-to-date route for the trip, or at least an approximate number for the total length? And a list of who's still coming? I've kinda lost the overview.

Anyway, I've got confirmed leave for the week of the roadtrip, but now I'm not so sure if I really want to come. :| I've had a lot of expenses lately, and I'm not sure if can/want to spend the cash for fuel etc. on the trip.
I'd also have to drive 6 hours to Munich after work on Friday, or get up really early on Saturday and then spend the rest of the day driving as well. :unsure:

When in doubt, go check out Beni's pics and you will see why you should go. I also had a lot of expenses recently (just payed about 466 euros today to get my tooth crowned) and will be absolutley flat broke when I get home, but I got a feeling it will be all worth it. Nothing better to spend money on than driving anyway:)

Nothing better to spend money on than driving anyway:)

That is a damn good reason :)

Shaping up to be closer to 2.5ke, this trip. If I leave my car at home I save less than 15% in total. Not worth it in the grand scheme of things. Going to book a ferry (one of them) tomorrow.

MXM, it would be a pity but understandable...

Here's some more motivational material:

_full.jpg11.06.19-VFR_Passo_Gardena.jpg2011-07-11-03PassoPordoi.jpg2011-07-11-05PassoPordoi.jpg1315827003.jpg7262899234_f12d49dc04_o.jpgCartolina-dal-passo-Giau-a28300715.jpgday3_header.jpgdolomiti-cartina.jpgfw004.jpgGiau Descent.jpggiau.jpgGiau.jpggiau_road.jpgIMG_7157.JPGMaratona_dles_Dolomites_-_Campolongo_Pass.jpgMaratona_dles_Dolomites_-_Pordoi_Pass.jpgneil_brian_tunnel.jpgP03-Passo-Giau-Fedare.jpgPasso_di_Giau.jpgpasso_gardena.jpgpasso_giau1.jpgpasso_giau06.jpgPasso_Giau.jpgsorrenti-sul-giau.jpgval-di-funes-dolomites-italy.jpg

Attachments

• 896-9668_IMG_op_1600x1200.jpg
    896-9668_IMG_op_1600x1200.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 53
Damnit. There is exactly one thing that can stop me from doing an Alps roadtrip next year. And knowing me, that thing won't happen to me.

That is even worse, D-Fence! Same 1000 eur for commute but only for 3 days?

What about driving down, and doing the roadtrip as a passenger?

I'm very keen on participating. My tent is big enough for three and the car too (considering luggage and a case of beer).
I'd start @ Gummersbach, a rough 100km from the ring, and could pick up pretty much everything going south towards M?nchen.

First choice for the alps and Schwarzwald would be my bike, though with the convoy it would be unpractical. So Citroen it would be.
If the trip falls through for me, I'd join with the bike (and tent) in the Eifel.

Note to self: check schedule and subscribe to the Ringmeet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.