FinalGear Pre-ringmeet Roadtrip 2012: July 20-26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian

Chariot of Fire
Car(s)
'13 VW T5, '07 SMC, '94 BMW 850, '92 Donkervoort
During the planning of this years ringmeet, the topic of a pre-ringmeet roadtrip was brought up. During the last couple of weeks a preliminary route has been thought out:
http://g.co/maps/fvbq4
This is still very much up for discussion. A trip along Germanys Route 500 has been discussed. Feel free to chip in and discuss in the thread, the map given is in no way a set route. PM me your email address if you want to fill in the map, so i can add you :) Discussion is also undergoing in the #roadtrip IRC channel.

We start off at the BMW Welt Friday 20th, and arrive at Adenau for the Eifel Rally late Wednesday 25th going through iconic routes like the Stelvio Pass and the Porsche Museum. Then we enjoy the Rally on the 26th, and maybe some ringlaps, and join in the ringmeeters for the 27th and on. As for sleepingarrangements, on the roadtrip it self we planned for camping plus one day of hotel for freshening up. This is also very much up for discussion, and can be planned individually when we are closer to a set route.

We also have some FG Roadtrippers traveling along, so some may have seats available for a passenger. I have put this into the template below.

________________________________________________________________________________

Participants template:
Name + passengers / number of seats available / where you join

So far the following has shown an interrest and signed up:
  • Adrian +1, M?nchen
  • Ice, Oberdrauburg
  • TobiasG, M?nchen
  • DaBoom, Cortina d'A
  • Adunaphel, M?nchen
  • MXM, M?nchen
  • Beni, M?nchen
Passengers wanting a ride:
  • Suedschleife
  • thomas

First post under constant construction as the thread goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a practical suggestion, I thought I'd mention it while I have it in my head. We used walkietalkies with DaBoom last year, and we found them quite useful (I did at least). I'd suggest the people who want to attend should grab some cheap PMR sets, because it will make life SOOO much easier.

Yes, walkies have been mentioned. I have a pair of 4, and have no problem of acquiring another set etc.

And to clarify, blue line is the proposed route. Red lines are suggestions on alternate routes, diverting from heavy traffic etc.

Sounds like a lovely idea, but entirely in the wrong part of the continent :lol: why does nobody ever come for a drive of the flat plains of Schleswig-Holstein :hmm:

Sounds like a lovely idea, but entirely in the wrong part of the continent :lol: why does nobody ever come for a drive of the flat plains of Schleswig-Holstein :hmm:

Sure there is some algebra that would explain that somewhere. :tease:

As already discussed in the various channels it sounds like a great idea. But somehow I'm not (yet) willing to waste too much money on that idea. But maybe a passenger-spot is a nice compromise for me. Lets see.

I'd love to but totally cannot plan ahead right now due to Bachelor thesis & internship & maybe moving during that period.....

Although I'd like to join it's to early to say wether I can take some days off then. I'll keep an eye on it.

As a suggestion for the route, there's a possible detour between Longarone and Cortina, the proposed route is quite fast, another one via Zoldo and passo Giau takes you right through the dolomites and is a lot more scenic and fun to drive. I'll pm my email so I can add it, if you're interested!

Nicjasno and I will be joining in separate cars at the starting point, which I suggest be moved here, instead of the centre of M?nchen. :p

Although I'd like to join it's to early to say wether I can take some days off then. I'll keep an eye on it.

As a suggestion for the route, there's a possible detour between Longarone and Cortina, the proposed route is quite fast, another one via Zoldo and passo Giau takes you right through the dolomites and is a lot more scenic and fun to drive. I'll pm my email so I can add it, if you're interested!

Edited. That was my original plan, Google maps just tends to have a mind of its own sometimes. :)

Nicjasno and I will be joining in separate cars at the starting point, which I suggest be moved here, instead of the centre of M?nchen. :p

Or here. parking garage at subway station @ 1 euro per car. And fast connection to BMW welt.

I have started plotting out the final map, any thoughts on using the proposed detours?

DAT ROUTE!!!

God I wish I could go, I fell in love with the Alps last year.
You'll have a blast I think. I can only add that you be careful on the Gavia pass (the one south of Bormio),
it's really tight at some parts, but is awesome and beautiful.
I loved it more then the Stelvio! :)

The Umbrailpass, which I see you are avoiding, is also awesome, but gravel on one part.
It's a good road, I managed on the bike just fine, the gravel is hard.

You can't go wrong in any case, where ever you turn, there's a good road waiting.

You can go! Several of us still has seats available. The norwegians will most likely have another addon with room for 2-3 people.

I'll look into your suggestions! Looks awesome.

I also suggest to take the red alternative route through Switzerland and Liechtenstein between Sluderno and Au as the blue one is more of a fast transit route (between Sluderno and Reutte at least) with the occasional truck and tourist bus. It's not very scenic either compared to the alternative.

The detour in the Dolomites of Passo Campolongo, Passo Gardena and Passo Sella is great but Passo Pordoi is awesome too. If there is enough time a giant "S" could be driven from Passo Falzarego over Passo Valparola then Passo Gardena, Passo Sella, Passo Pordoi then over to the east side of Passo Fedaia and then join the proposed route again. This would take quite some time but we/you will then have driven most of the great roads in the area...
I can mark it in the map later on.

If I come by I might join someone aswell, the x1/9 won't be running till then and we don't need another E30, do we? ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, there are great options everywhere. The problem is time. :)

Map updated: http://g.co/maps/8yws8
With some proposed routes (I'm not known there, just followed your inputs) and days. That + hours the routes take should give a rough time schedule. One day is a bit of a stretch, so it can be stretched to arrival at Adenau Thursday if that's more desirable.

Allright, with the sleeping stops as proposed there will be enough time in the dolomites for a detour or a pause somewhere, which I think is a good thing. We/you could take a cable car to a mountain top for example or just rest. I don't really want to clutter the thread with detailed ideas, or should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.