FinalGear Texasmeet - Nov. 16-18, 2012 (Austin F1)

It would probably be easier to do anything after the weekend, if others are available. I'm there before & after myself, so, whatever works.

People! Start planning ffs! I'd like to see a specific date where something meet-ish is actually going to happen. Or just say so if all 3 days are intended for that.. :D.

Oh and: Do we have people in Austin? My current plans would place me in houston for the whole time and I'd just drive to austin for the meet(s). In case that gets very late, I might need a couch or something for a night, as driving back to houston might be too much :D.

Last edited:
how about an Austin meet on Thursday or Friday night.. then Houston after the weekend? I'll probably drive to Houston after the race on Sunday and hang out where ever tracks are that I can drive on afterward :p

Yeah.. I vote for that too.. :D.

Although I haven't even decided yet wether I will be there or not, I am currently looking at ways to make a proper stay out of that for the week of 14th to 21st.

Those of you coming to Houston (IAH airport), let me know, I'd be happy to hang out/pick you up if time permits.

Ahh, some wild texan from the ring's texan embassy :D.

Still trying to figure out where to be when and/or what to do.

- arrival late 14th, most likely @ IAH, because >100eur cheaper than f.e. AUS
- also pick up rental @ airport
- stay @ ... 14th - 21st
-> austin: not an option, too expensive
-> houston: cheap, driving 1-2 days to austin doable, what to do around houston the rest of the time?
-> san antonio: still fairly cheap, closer to austin, close to HHR, again what to do the rest of the time?
- drop off rental @ IAH at 21st
- depature afternoon 21st @ IAH, because cheap, u know.

Question is: Where will people be after the F1-weekend, especially 18th-21st

I don't plan to watch the race live on the stands, but more at HHR on TV. So currently staying in San Antonio for the full week and flying via IAH sounds the most viable option. also splitting the stay to San Antonio 14th-18th and Houston 18th-21st would probably be doable, if more whatever would go down in the Houston-area.

Keep in mind, Houston is ~3 hours in a car from Austin (2 and a half if you stay on the far west side) and that is without traffic. There are two basic direct routes from Houston to Austin, and one goes right by the Austin airport (KAUS)... That route will be HORRIBLE traffic-wise, I'd assume (since, you know, airport, and the track is near the airport, and...). They're not letting people drive themselves to the track, either, so you'll have to go to one of the pick-up points. If they make one out down 71 (east of Austin), that'll be perfect. You can skip the city traffic and just go I-10 to 71 and get there. But if not, you either get to go the north route up to 290, or stay on I-10 longer and come up somewhere. Unfortunately, US 183 (which is suggested by Google Maps) will not be a good place to come up - it goes rather close to the airport and will also have nasty traffic.

Alternatively, you can come to H2R, which should avoid most of the bad traffic (I-10 westbound and then San Marcos Freeway aka TX 80). You can then take a western route into Austin, which should be lighter traffic.

BTW, if any of my road-talk sounds confusing, I'll be happy to share routes on google maps or whatever.

Both San Antonio and Houston have lots to do, with recommendations varying by your interests and budget. Houston has a huge number of museums, both have lots of parks and Texas history, San Antonio has more theme parks (bigger budget needed), Houston has Hennessey. Also, about an hour south of Houston is Galveston. This will let you see the Texas beaches (which are sandy, but the water is murky, not great beaches) and is a good place to see some more Texas history and understand the impact hurricanes can have. Galveston also has Moody Gardens, which has a nice aquarium and a wonderful "Rainforest Pyramid". In the rainforest pyramid, you wander on a path among the trees, plants, and streams... as birds, mammals, etc wander freely with you. While there are a few cages, few of the animals are actually caged. When my mother and I went there, we ended up being inches away from a parrot, a Victoria Crowned Pigeon, some monkeys, and some bats. Moody Gardens is on the expensive side.

San Antonio has the Alamo, the Riverwalk, a Sea World, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, and various other things. Unfortunately, the current schedule shows Six Flags as closed except for weekends. They may realize F1 brings in a lot of people and open up some weekdays, they may not. Sea World looks to be open the week after F1 (which is Thanksgiving week, here in the US). But San Antonio has its share of museums and other activities, as well.

Beyond that, there's also various small towns in the area and the Hill Country, which is to the west/northwest of San Antonio/Houston. It's great for driving, and has some state parks and the like.

So... what kind of stuff interests people?

Err.. I did my museum-share of us-history in NYC and a lot in DC, not sure I care much about museums this time :D. Especially since I'm planning more a short stay. Maybe do a drive to what "we" see as "typical" texas outside of the big cities, maybe some nice landscape, if there is such a thing in tx :D.

Other than that.. hm.. Trackdays sounds fine to me :D. As mentioned, I wouldn't mind visiting a shooting range ;). Currently 7 days of San Antonio with trips to Austin, H2R and the surrounding area seem to be the best plan. Also arrival and departure via IAH seems a set option, as Austin/San Antonio Airports raise the price by ~120EUR for the roundtrip.

Oh, the museums would be things like art museums. The "history" would be Texas history, not US history, and going to the actual sites, not museums. It's kinda like the Alamo - many buildings and sites related to the Texas Revolution are still around.

The small towns in the Texas Hill Country would probably be as close to what you think of for Texas as you're gonna get without actually invading someone's small town (which isn't really a great experience). These small town are a bit tourist-y, but not tooo bad. A lot of the area towns were formed by German immigrants... which might be interesting, Thomas. :)

As far as weather/climate goes, historical data from KAUS will give you an idea. Other airports to look at would be KATT (which is Camp Mabry, actually inside Austin), KHYI (which is basically across the street from H2R), KSAT for San Antonio, KHOU and KIAH for Houston, etc. Basically, I'd expect temperatures in the 40s to 60s, low 70s Fahrenheit, and rain tends to come through that time of year.

None of those smaller airports are as cheap to reach as IAH. Basically everything else than IAH (or Dallas which is way off) is way more expensive.

The weather-"forecast" actually might save me money, because with that I might not get a convertible but play it cheap :D. But on the other hand, that also means ~140hp I4 instead of ~300hp V6. We'll see.. still all in planning.. nothing decided yet.. not even the trip itself :D

The airports were listed as places to look for weather data. Our best/most consistent weather recording centers seem to be in/at the airports, so I listed airports near some of the places listed for visiting. :)

so.. how possible is it to get track time, and on what days? I'll obviously have my car.. and it'll be on new tires, and I don't yet have anything nailed down before or after the F1 weekend (I'm in the area from about Nov 13 - 21) :D

It sounds like H2R is on the busy side before the F1 race (it's not on their calendar, but it sounds like their deal with Mazda will result in Mazda events there), but I suspect in the days after the event we can get on track there. IIRC, motorcycle members get a half-day on Monday, but the other half day we could go out. Alternatively, Tuesday we may be able to go out on track. As their schedule firms up we can work something into it. It may be that the Mazda events will be something interesting, worthwhile going to. I'll get more information on that as it gets planned.

About H2R: Member days are pretty easy going. They foster a culture of "Have fun with cars... No, really, have fun with cars. Oh, yeah, try not to hurt yourself or anyone else, won'tcha?" Things don't always get strictly planned ahead of time, but it all works out in the end. :)

If we have enough interest in tracking cars to put some money up, we could head out to MSR Houston. At the moment, their calendar is pretty open both for the F1 weekend and the weekdays before and after. Unfortunately, we're not members here, and while they do have a reciprocal membership deal with H2R, fees are more through that and guest passes are not as easy to come by. While running around H2R will be budget friendly, running MSR Houston would be more expensive. It's a great track, and if budgets allow, it's worth going to.

There are also a lot of kart options around. There are a few karting options in Austin, with one very popular with the autocrossers, and MSR Houston has a kart track (with kart rentals).

So... We could do a Hill Country drive, dropping in on some small towns (maybe even hitting up the infamous Luckenbach) one day, go karting in Austin another day, drop in on a Mazda event at H2R one of the days its there (potentially), catch some track time (I imagine those not actually going to the F1 race can catch track time around the race at H2R, plus another day when Rootrider and those attending the race could make it), work in some shooting somewhere, and if people want, karting at MSR Houston, or maybe dropping in on BEGi to see some amazing Miatas and other cars (we should call in advance)...

Last edited:
So... We could do a Hill Country drive, dropping in on some small towns (maybe even hitting up the infamous Luckenbach) one day, go karting in Austin another day, drop in on a Mazda event at H2R one of the days its there (potentially), catch some track time (I imagine those not actually going to the F1 race can catch track time around the race at H2R, plus another day when Rootrider and those attending the race could make it), work in some shooting somewhere, and if people want, karting at MSR Houston, or maybe dropping in on BEGi to see some amazing Miatas and other cars (we should call in advance)...

this sounds almost perfect.

I like everything you said, though it sounds like running MSR Houston won't be economically reasonable, so I guess that's not an option. Doing a drive around the area, karting, H2R track time, hanging out, etc. sounds awesome though.

I'm assuming that the F1 race will be in the morning on Sunday, in order to appease the Europeans. I'm not sure what other events will happen that day, but I'll definitely be getting out of there as soon as possible and heading toward H2R, if people are still there.

this sounds almost perfect.

I like everything you said, though it sounds like running MSR Houston won't be economically reasonable, so I guess that's not an option. Doing a drive around the area, karting, H2R track time, hanging out, etc. sounds awesome though.

I'm assuming that the F1 race will be in the morning on Sunday, in order to appease the Europeans. I'm not sure what other events will happen that day, but I'll definitely be getting out of there as soon as possible and heading toward H2R, if people are still there.

That! I completely agree with joel, besides the fact that I won't (err, wouldn't) head for H2R after the race, because I'd be at H2R to watch it already ;).

-edit-

Oh, one thing to the locals, maybe even Stig :D. Someone got a Satnav to borrow for a week? :D I don't wanna tick the satnav-option for the rental, because thats a $70 option for a $225 rent. So, sat-nav, anyone? :D

-edit2-

I am aware that Thanks Giving is following the meet and that I should try to avoid flying then. I am currently considering adding a day and making it 14th-22nd, thus leaving thursday before TG. Good or bad idea? And if I do, should I rather get a fligt earlier or later on thursday? Currently I see 2 options: Departure 1:05PM or 4:05PM from IAH. Otherwise I'd stick to leaving wednesday, which would be the 4:05pm version too. Adding the full 7th day to the trip would only cost me ~50EUR extra for hotel and rental, so seems worth it.

Last edited:
Ok, enough edits on the last post. Little update from my side :mrgreen:

=======================================================
MOTEL 6 RESERVATION CONFIRMATION
Confirmation Number: ...
Guest Name: Thomas ...
Check-in Date: Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Check-out Date: Thursday, November 22, 2012
Guarantee Type: Master Card
Number of Adults: 1
Number of Rooms: 1
Room Description:
NEWLY RE-DESIGNED QUEEN BED, SMOKING

I decided to go 14th-22nd, because according to joel its smarter to fly on thanksgiving than the day before. Its still not 100% that I will come, but I booked that place because its 4 miles away from H2R and with $400 for 8 nights fairly cheap, considering the area and events. And yes, I am aware what a motel6 is ;).

Also:

Alamo Rent a Car (Germany) Booking confirmation

Dear Thomas ...,

Thank you very much for your reservation.
Your reservation number is: xxxxx

Reservation details
Description Price Total
CAR Intermediate, Toyota Corolla or similar $248,48 $248,48
Total: $248,48
(ca. ?194,66)

Again booked in advance, pay on pickup, free of charge when cancelling in time.

Just need to make it work time- and moneywise and book a flight, which is something I have to pay when booking, thus being somewhat final and deciding ;). So, currently chances of me being around are roughly 50/50 :D.

I am aware that Thanks Giving is following the meet and that I should try to avoid flying then. I am currently considering adding a day and making it 14th-22nd, thus leaving thursday before TG. Good or bad idea? And if I do, should I rather get a fligt earlier or later on thursday? Currently I see 2 options: Departure 1:05PM or 4:05PM from IAH. Otherwise I'd stick to leaving wednesday, which would be the 4:05pm version too. Adding the full 7th day to the trip would only cost me ~50EUR extra for hotel and rental, so seems worth it.
Thanksgiving is the 22nd. However, that should be a better day to fly in the US than the 21st, and since you're leaving the country, rather than entering, it should be as un-bad as it'll get (traveling around Thanksgiving, at least).