FinalGear Roadtrip Part Deux: Pardon my French - August 2nd-8th, 2013

Adrian

Chariot of Fire
Car(s)
'13 VW T5, '07 SMC, '94 BMW 850, '92 Donkervoort
dpBx9.jpg

From the Pre-ringmeet Roadtrip 2012, taken on top of the Stelvio Pass

After the roaring success that was the Pre-ringmeet Roadtrip 2012 (photo and recap thread (56k warning)), we invite you all to once again join our little epic adventure! The FinalGear Ringtrip 2013. An epic trek through Europes best driving roads, the highest mountain passes and the most gorgeous of landskapes. This year, a 1584km route starting off in the mountains over Monaco, right where the Top Gear boys started, down to Monaco and through the world-famous Monaco Tunnel known from the Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix, and up towards Col De Turini. For the full map, follow this link: http://goo.gl/maps/hNo2F. And check out the streetview function - anywhere - on the route... It's nothing but spectacular.

Press image for full route preview
Gmap link: http://goo.gl/maps/hNo2F

Confirmed Participants + passengers (+seats available):
  • Ice + MWF and GF, Nr42 Audi A4 1.9 TDI
  • Daboom, BMW 323 E21 (2 seats available)
  • TobiasG + Adunaphel, Alfa Romeo
  • Adrian + Thomas, Nr20 BMW 850
  • Dins + friend, BMW M3
  • MXM, Lotus 7
  • Boobo-oobo + friend, Nr69 Merc 220CDI (2 seats available)
  • lip, Nr11227399 Renault Laguna V6
  • Joker, bike
  • KaJuN, Nr76 bike (Triumph Sprint 900)
Confirmed passengers seeking driver
  • LoOsE_uNiT
  • BlaRo
  • Karl-Ove
People interested (* = passenger)
  • Nicjasno
  • Beni, MX5/Fiat X1/9 (+1 seat)
  • *Eye-Q
  • *D-Fence (1% in)
---
For new driving participants: Please make a post with:
  • Forum nick:
  • Type of car:
  • Available seats:
  • Where will you join:
  • Willing to stick vinyls on your car: Yes/no
    If yes;
  • Desired number:
  • Desired driver name: (i.e. A. Jektvik, Darjan "Ice" P. etc. - whatever variation you want)
For new passengers wanting to come along:
  • Where do you need pickup:
  • Will you join for the entirety of the route:

Feel free to post questions in the thread, it's open for everybody. You may also participate in the discussion on our resident IRC channel: irc://irc.finalgear.com/roadtrip

Last edited:
I hope I can get that into my time- and money-schedule. Also: Dibs on the spot I had last year, but only if you fix the driver seat before the trip :p

Veeeery tempted - my colleague has leave in July so I could get leave in August... :hmm:

I would be passenger since there are enough cars hopefully, also you norwegians drive almost through my backyard so I'd have at least a drive home. Maybe I'll fly to Nice since there are direct flights from Hamburg to Nice for about 110 Euros.

If necessary I'd drive, too, but if there are enough passenger seats there's no need for it.

Conclusion: I'd need pickup either in Hamburg or in Nice at the airport (preferrably Nice, the flight would arrive on August 2nd at 12:15h) and I would be joining for the entire route.

I really want to join the tour again, can't really tell right now wether I'll be in the area or not.

But if I'm here then I'm definately in. Mazda MX-5 or Fiat X1/9, maybe also a free seat.

I'll try to join you on IRC this evening, proposed route looks good already!

I'd set up Beni HQ again (much larger this time) so people can stop by on the way south if they pass Frankfurt.

Last edited:
Conclusion: I'd need pickup either in Hamburg or in Nice at the airport (preferrably Nice, the flight would arrive on August 2nd at 12:15h) and I would be joining for the entire route.
I'm sure this can be arranged! EDIT: If you drive, how many seats are available for passengers?

I really want to join the tour again, can't really tell right now wether I'll be in the area or not.
But if I'm here then I'm definately in. Mazda MX-5 or Fiat X1/9, maybe also a free seat.
I'll try to join you on IRC this evening, proposed route looks good already!
I'd set up Beni HQ again (much larger this time) so people can stop by on the way south if they pass Frankfurt.
We're still working out routes, but it looks like most of us will meet up in Stuttgart and stay there one night - this is subject to change though, and if Beni HQ can hold a lot of people it would be awesome :D Also; Fiat X1/9 FTW!
EDIT: What about your friend? Seemed like he wanted to join this year.

So far so good, I will be trying to book time off soon-ish :)
Putting you up :D

Last edited:
We're still working out routes, but it looks like most of us will meet up in Stuttgart and stay there one night - this is subject to change though, and if Beni HQ can hold a lot of people it would be awesome :D Also; Fiat X1/9 FTW!

I'd set up my workshop so we could stay there for the night, hang around and Tobi has a dry space to fix the Alfa. Could be great.

EDIT: What about your friend? Seemed like he wanted to join this year.

I don't know, maybe I'll take my girlfriend with me. There are still passenger slots if he wants to join, I guess.

Last edited:
If I had too much money, I'd fly up to norway and take the DeVille for the trip :p. I know it'd probably be horrible, but I'd do it :p

If you drive, how many seats are available for passengers?
I'd say two so we have some more luggage space (for tents and so on).

I wouldn't say totally confirmed for me yet but I plan to participate in some way. I'll take a look at the route tonight, my vacation time, finances etc. Might be a case of joining you guys part way.

Hah, i like the sound of that :p

I and most others will arrive at a campsite about 20 kms away the evening before. I can definitely pick you up from an airport nearby. Or maybe even on the way, I'll be going through the top of Italy. Also, http://forums.finalgear.com/finalge...-roadtrip-ringtrip-2013-august-2nd-8th-55071/

I can currently get a flight to Nice with BA (no surcharges, 23kg checked luggage allowance) for ?60 one way that gets into Nice at 22.35 on Thursday 1st. That's one option for getting out there. The other is looking at flights that get into other airports en route that would mean less time off work - perhaps arriving on the Tuesday or Wednesday. More research is needed but I will definitely be participating in the Roadtrip in some way.

We all need to start haranguing more FG Brits into going so I can get a ride back home!

Dave not going? For shame.

Or are you too scared of the Ringoo now? :p

I think Dave intends to go again this year but he wasn't able to commit until quite late last year and ideally I want to have other options for getting home. Worst case I'll fly home to LGW from somewhere in Germany on the Monday. Andeh was talking about going so I will give him a nudge and Matt2000 might be persuaded too. he-he said a while back she wouldn't take Lottie to the 'Ring but I'll do my best to nag her into it!

Andeh was talking about going so I will give him a nudge
Ringlia? That would be epic, but I don't think Andeh would want that. To and from the 'ring yes, but there are too many idiots on the 'ring to risk that.

He was planning to take the Fiesta rather than the Anglebox. The latter would have surpassed the Ringoo lap in its very epicness though. :(

Tie it to the 850.

Scream if you wanna go faster and all that! :D