[CANCELLED] 2013 Northwest (USA) Meetup: September 21st

electromage

Car(s)
2008 BMW 535i Sport, 1990 Jeep Cherokee
So who's up for doing it again?

Note from Viper: Cancelled due to rain. We waiting too late into the year. We'll try again in 2014 when the weather clears up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking about this the other day!

I have a lot of busy weekends in August but July or September would work for me.

I'm out of town the weekend of September 28th but the other weekends work for me. We should probably do it early September in order to decrease our chances of rain. I won't bring the Viper if it's raining. :?

I was actually thinking of making at thread about this recently. If it happens again I'll most likely join.

early September is definitely good

Portland or Seattle area?

I have a feeling Seattle will make for more attendees, especially due to Vancouver folks. We can either do the same route again (long) or maybe take a ferry somewhere and then loop back around the sound.

I might be able to do September (the 7th and 8th I may be on vacation).

How about going around Olympic National Park?

Viper, thanks for moving this to a new thread. September could work for me, and I'd prefer to do it in WA. I'm pretty sure I'll be in my Jeep this time around, also.

I'd be in for early sept.
I'm the fellow with the jeep, that was running a bit warm... but made it home thank you.
-PW

Last edited:
Yeah, I believe we ran just around 8hrs, including the lunch stop. We could find a good stopping point for people who don't want to run the whole loop as well.

Edit - Just looked at your peninsula route, two ferries? We could do Edmonds-Kingston and take 104, but miss out on Whidbey.

Last edited:
Edit - Just looked at your peninsula route, two ferries? We could do Edmonds-Kingston and take 104, but miss out on Whidbey.

Ah, that seems a lot better.

Google was trying to avoid ferries altogether and suggesting that we go through Tacoma. That seemed like a really boring route so I was trying to make it more scenic via a ferry but didn't realize there was a better but similar ferry route.

How about going around Olympic National Park?

this is a longer drive than the North Cascades Loop that we did last year... especially if we stop anywhere (which you definitely want to... the scenery is pretty epic). I know the roads out there well.. have driven then a couple of times a year for the last several years now.

And there's not really a cut off point.. once you get on 101 you kind of need to go the whole way around.. or just backtrack the way you came. Either way it's about the same distance.

Last edited:
Any alternative recommendations, ideally something a bit shorter? I'd love to start at Exotics @ Redmond Town Center again but that's not a requirement.

a Whidbey Island cruise is definitely a good idea.. Fort Casey would be a cool stop as well

The western Canada Viper club is actually doing something like that this weekend, that's what made me think Whidbey Island in the first place.

How about something like this? http://goo.gl/maps/YNGyj People who only want to do a shorter trip can break off early at the 104 and take a ferry back into Seattle and Portland folks can break off at Olympia and head home.

that looks nice. I'd recommend this though.. cutting back across the Hood Canal bridge and touring down the east side of the canal a bit. 101 is pretty, but slow, with few passing zones and a lot of small towns to slow things down more.

just a suggestion: http://goo.gl/maps/CYzkE

I'm actually getting married at Scenic Beach State Park up there.. beautiful views. My fiance and I took a similar route from Scenic Beach down to Twanoh a couple of months ago and it was pretty nice... lots of scenery along the way.

Do note that all Washington state parks require a Discover Pass. A single day is $10 or a full year is $30. It's how the parks are funded now (they get very little money directly from the government any more :(). So that includes Fort Casey.

that looks nice. I'd recommend this though.. cutting back across the Hood Canal bridge and touring down the east side of the canal a bit. 101 is pretty, but slow, with few passing zones and a lot of small towns to slow things down more.

just a suggestion: http://goo.gl/maps/CYzkE

Cool, that works for me but note it adds an hour to the route. We have to make sure we're including any stops and stuff. Although I guess as long as we reach Olympia by dusk we're all good because the freeway route back is easy/boring and can be done in the dark.

yeah... I'm only about 45 minutes from Olympia, so I'm good :p

101 from the top of Hood Canal down to Olympia is probably a longer drive than what Google Maps suggests.. actually. It takes very little traffic to slow that whole route down. It's not as scenic either. It's certainly more direct though.. and easier to follow.