Finalgear Ringmeet 2017: Holyshit, has it been ten years already?

Adunaphel

Angrily shouting at Klauwds
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
Cube²
Yes, you read it right, our first Ringmeet was in 2007, a small group of internetweirdos went to the ring, because a weird guy from Finland was doing a European vacation in his Porsche and wanted to visit the N?rburgring with it. Much awkwardness was had ("does that sign say ANALGEAR?"), Sabine was met (see: analgear comment) and fun was also had. At the end of the day everyone (except the weird guy from Finland) went home again to recount their tales.

Ten years later, it's slightly bigger. Like last year, OGP weekend will be when it all goes down, meaning
Thu, August 10 - Sun, August 13 2017

Accomodation will be at the Viktoria Station campsite as always, or one of the hotels?? nearby.

There's once more planning for at least one roadtrip??.

Pubquiz will be handled by the Finnish automotive journos, so someone else will be able to win this year.

Ring opening times are:
Thursday Aug 10: 17:15 - 19:30
Friday Aug 11: closed
Saturday Aug 12: 13:00 - 19:00
Sunday Aug 13: 13:00 - 19:00
Monday Aug 14: 17:15 - 19:30

Saturday dinner will be at the restaurant we know and love, Im Wurstkessel across the treet.

I have few activities in mind, but I will make a fresh post for that, later in the thread.

Last edited:
Erm...I am gonna be the bastard that asks for a date change.
That early August date means first week of class after winter vacation for Carlo and also Father's Day celebration (2nd Sunday of August).
2014 and 2016 I attended anyway, but if we could avoid that, it would be much better for me and Rebeca.

OR

We can move to Europe already, I know. (Before anyone else suggests that. I knew it was coming).
?Sorry for being the party-pooper.

I'm not sure we can do much with the dates, but these are other possibilities:
Jun 30 - Jul 2: Truck Grand prix
Jul 7 - 9: VLN (only on the 8th)
Jul 14 - 16: FIA WEC 6h
Jul 21 - 23: Sport 1 Trackday + N?rburgring Drift Cup
Aug 4 - 6: ADAC GT Masters

Last weekend of July is Rad am Ring, and I'm not sure the crowd that's attracted by the combined power of a Sport 1 Trackday "Racing fun for the whole family" and the Drift Cup will make for tourist drives anyone would want to venture out in. For the other events (except VLN), nfc whether or not the ring will be open at all, those dates are usually not released this far in advance.

VLN is great as well since the VLN consists of hundreds of cars in tons of classes from hum-drum production cars with rollcages to the GT3-monsters. Plus it's for free if you decide to stay at the Nordschleife.

VLN is good fun, but it also means no tourist drives for the afternoon, and the evening session after it gets cancelled if there's too much cleanup to be done after the race, so not something one can depend upon.

I might be in depending on when it is. But honestly, Sport1 trackday + drift session sounds like a weekend where you do not want to visit the Touristenfahrten...

We had the date discussion each year for the past five years and in the end it always was Oldtimer Grand Prix. Let's agree on that now, it will enable CraigB to plan drag racing season with that weekend off and reunite him with his lost love Lucille.

Why would you choose to drive in a straight line instead of the second most beatiful racetrack in the world?

/me runs away :D

We had the date discussion each year for the past five years and in the end it always was Oldtimer Grand Prix. Let's agree on that now, it will enable CraigB to plan drag racing season with that weekend off and reunite him with his lost love Lucille.

That was my thinking too...

I would not neccessarily object the GT Masters weekend, since that usually results in full weekend tourist drives, but I will also go ahead and call the campsite ASAIR (as soon as I remember) and see about their availability. Because lets face it, we'Re not gonna pick another campsite. We're probably not gonna pick another date either, let's face that too... ;)

Since Emilys first day of school is on the 14th I would have to leave early on sunday or drive all night and walk around like a zombie on monday :| but then again I don't know if I can get the time of work for a couple of months anyway.
And having it that weekend and not the one after would mean no birthday cake from me, just normal cake ;-)

I agree with the previous comments. It's going to be OGP weekend as we skirt around the issue and then land on that as the final option.

And I will hum and hah about going until I admit to myself that I would be truly pissed off and jealous because you're all there doing the same old shit as in previous years and I'm not there doing it with you.

And I'll dig my heels in and say "no, fuck it, someone else can be Grillmeister on Friday night this year" then do that anyway.

And I'll suggest that people come up with alternatives to the Awards for the Saturday evening entertainment and nothing will happen so I'll be doing that again as well. Probably.

So count me in, I'll bring the chef's hat. And since he won so many of the fucking things this year I nominate Loose Joe as the MC for next year's awards. I'd like at least one evening where I can chill and put my aged feet up.

See you all at OGP weekend.

And I'll dig my heels in and say "no, fuck it, someone else can be Grillmeister on Friday night this year" then do that anyway.

If I'll make it I volunteer to make something for the BBQ, not anything in close proximity to the grill as I'm crap at that, but maybe some of that supposedly healthy salaty stuff :p

Reactions: MWF
Given that at least one co-worker has scheduled his summer vacation mid august, I myself am already not looking all that great in terms of time off. But hey.. it'll work out, somehow.

I'll hopefully have switched jobs by then, but one or two days off can always be managed, even if I'd not be eligible for vacation days yet: "Overtime" is the key word.