Medium Roadtrip Proposal - The French Connection or "Oh Millau My!"

I just booked a campspot for Thu August 3rd to Sat August 5th in Millau, 30 Euros for two nights is reasonable - that includes two people so if someone fancies two nights near Millau you can contact me so we can share the costs. :)

Last edited:
We're arriving in France (Dunkirk) at about 1pm on the Friday - getting from there to Millau on the Friday for an overnight stop would be a pretty tall order as it's roughly an 8-9 hour drive even if we suck it up and use the peages.

We could probably make somewhere around Clermont-Ferrand on Friday night and maybe join you at Millau for an early lunch on the Saturday then head over in tandem towards Verdon maybe?

We could probably make somewhere around Clermont-Ferrand on Friday night and maybe join you at Millau for an early lunch on the Saturday then head over in tandem towards Verdon maybe?
Works for me. :)

Change of plans for me:

Tue Aug 1st: Hamburg - LooseUnit's place and meet up with him, DaBoom and TobiasG who will be there on their way down to Italy

Wed Aug 2nd: LooseUnit's place - somewhere around Fribourg (Switzerland) with DaBoom and TobiasG

Thu Aug 3rd: somewhere around Fribourg - Millau

Fri Aug 4th: touring the Viaduct and some of the surrounding areas

Sat Aug 5th: Meet up with MWF plus Millau - Verdon to meet you guys (and gals)

Rest as proposed above

Last edited:
Works for me. :)

Change of plans for me:

Tue Aug 1st: Hamburg - LooseUnit's place and meet up with him, DaBoom and TobiasG who will be there on their way down to Italy

Wed Aug 2nd: LooseUnit's place - somewhere around Fribourg (Switzerland) with DaBoom and TobiasG

Thu Aug 3rd: somewhere around Fribourg - Millau

Fri Aug 4th: touring the Viaduct and some of the surrounding areas

Sat Aug 5th: Meet up with MWF plus Millau - Verdon to meet you guys (and gals)

Rest as proposed above
This is relevant to my interests. Might as well get 2 weeks off and join you guys if there's room for one more.

Superb stuff, all the chosen roads are awesome. Love especially that bit between Castellane and Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, been on stretch many times.

This gonna be good. :cool:

This is relevant to my interests. Might as well get 2 weeks off and join you guys if there's room for one more.
So the medium roadtrip gets extended... :lol:

MWF and HWF 3.0 won't arrive in Millau until Saturday so the second person on my campsite reservation is still vacant.

The loops look very good as well. :)

So, can we please get a confirmation of attendees so we can start contacting campsites? This is still our primary choice. It looks really nice, is right on the lake and is actually quite cheap.

That campsite (which I approve) specifically states the following on their rates page:

In high season we advise you to arrive before 16:00.
[...]
! Warning BOOKING possible for: minimum 7 consecutive days, and arrival / departure only from Saturday (14h00) to Saturday (12h00)

Maybe if we tell them we're at least 10 people then we can book from Saturday to Tuesday, but I wouldn't count on it. In their booking form you can choose up to 6 people per pitch so if we exceed that we'd have to take two pitches anyway.

All righty, then.

Also since there's no coal/wood fires permitted, should we band together and get an electric grille or would we be ok with 2 small gas ones?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I can probably get my hands on a stainless steel plate cheaply, also get some steel legs for it, stick those into the dirt, put some gas cookers under and bam, large enough surface to cook several things at once.

So, can we please get a confirmation of attendees so we can start contacting campsites? This is still our primary choice. It looks really nice, is right on the lake and is actually quite cheap.

While I love the roadtrips I truly hate camping. :lol:
Probably just going to take a hotel room in Les-Salles-sur-Verdon or Aigunes or somewhere else closeby.
So count me in for the trip but out for the camping.

Confirmed I believe as follows:

MWF
HWF 3.0
IceBone
nicjasno
lip
D-Fence
Eye-Q
eisbaer

Anyone else coming?

nicjasno's out.

I've also contacted dino, but he hasn't come back to me yet.

Slight update to loop #3:

https://goo.gl/maps/N4XqfeLoDeD2

fRQKevS.png

A bit longer, but it puts us well on our way to Altenhar along route Napoleon, so we don't have to cram 1000+ km of driving into two days.

Last edited:
The first part is great, but the part from Digne over Sisteron to Tallard is quite flat (that's where the Autoroute goes). I would prefer to go from Digne to Seyne to Tallard/Gap. It's about the same time frame but the road is more interesting.