Medium Roadtrip Proposal - The French Connection or "Oh Millau My!"

I have some leftover vinyls I can bring. I'll do an inventory of what I have and post it in the ringmeet thread. If we want custom roadtrip vinyls, I'll need to finalize the list at least 2 weeks in advance. I think names + flags need to be done again.

Agreed. And I will try to dream up a suitable motif.

Also can we please? get an idea of confirmed numbers? Right now I count 5 (1 hotelfag, 4 camping, 3 cars/tents).

Dude, we haven't even confirmed a campsite yet. Both a place to pitch and vinyls need to be sorted and soon.
Well, I have quoted the statement of the campsite we agreed on on page 3:
In high season we advise you to arrive before 16:00.
[...]
! Warning BOOKING possible for: minimum 7 consecutive days, and arrival / departure only from Saturday (14h00) to Saturday (12h00)
We still keep plenty of room without reservation for our passing customers or short vacations.
If we're just four people camping it shouldn't be a problem to get a spot on that campsite. With that kind of attendance one pitch will be enough since there are a maximum of 6 people on one pitch. Even if you triple the current number (other people showed no interest or cancelled their attendance) we would need just two pitches which should be no problem.

Also can we please? get an idea of confirmed numbers? Right now I count 5 (1 dry, 4 wet, 3 cars/tents).

My room is in Les-Salles-sur-Verdon, but I have no problem to drive a bit to get there after dinner/barbecue in the evening, you guys don't have to be fixed on that location for camping.

Last edited:
Does this mean you are planning to join us? Hope so.

Still undecided. But since I am hotelfagging at ringmeet it would make sense not to carry a tent around all the time...

Fair enough. In that case you may want to look into accommodation for the Wednesday night in Scherwiller in the Alsace. Current thinking is to stay there en route to VS like we did in 2013 and revisit La Couronne for dinner, the excellent restaurant with the Nautilus-inspired rest rooms.

Last edited:
90? per night and 12? for breakfast? Are they out of their mind?

For that prix you better get a jobe du blow every morning man..... :p

Reactions: lip
I'm fine, thanks.

Maybe I'm used to swiss prices, but I consider 90? for per night for a decent room the norm.

I've just realized I'll be in the general region a few weeks before you guys :p

My hotels average a good chunk lower than that, but then I'm avoiding costly region/time combinations on purpose... for example, I'll leave just before the Tour comes. The Alps are big enough to plan an A-to-B roadtrip accordingly and still have more awesome roads than you can drive.
Looking at that hotel in particular, if this is where you have breakfast in the morning and sunset cocktails after an epic drive, 90? seems like a bargain.
11.JPG

So, can we please get a confirmation of attendees so we can start contacting campsites? This is still our primary choice. It looks really nice, is right on the lake and is actually quite cheap.

That campsite (which I approve) specifically states the following on their rates page:

Maybe if we tell them we're at least 10 people then we can book from Saturday to Tuesday, but I wouldn't count on it. In their booking form you can choose up to 6 people per pitch so if we exceed that we'd have to take two pitches anyway.

The website states that they always keep a certain number of unreserved pitches which are available from 14.00 each day. Since they are not accepting new bookings for August we need someone to get there prior to 2pm on the Saturday and book a suitable pitch for those who are attending. As things stand it looks like we need a pitch for three tents/four people and access to get the car(s) nearby to unload.

Once I have confirmed numbers I will contact the campsite in Scherwiller and try at least to make a reservation for there.

Since Eye-Q, HWF3.0 and myself probably won't get there by that time do we have any volunteers?

And do we know yet who is attending for certain? I have MWF, HWF3.0, Eye-Q and IceBone confirmed and camping plus lip (Greetings!) hotelfagging.

Anyone else?

Also can someone start a Skype/WhatsApp/Telegram group so we can stay up to date with discussions in something approximating to real time since I don't hang out in IRC (real life and work make #Gear a tad tricky.)

Last edited:
Go right ahead.

I can turn up before 14:00 on Saturday 5th at the campsite to make a reservation for you lot, but there is no guarantee that there will be space...

- - - Updated - - -

There are also these two campsites in Les-Salles-sur-Verdon:

http://www.campinglespins.com/en/
http://www.camping-la-source.eu/en/

Have you contacted them?

Reactions: MWF
I'm out, not in mood for roadtrip this year, will stay the 4 days prior to Ringmeet at parents, seeing them too rarely anyways.