MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Verdun Gorge...

verdon017b.jpg

Millau Viaduct...

img1.jpg

and any other TG locations in the region we can identify....

Hopefully convene and begin about a week before Ringmeet, maybe hit the Riviera, Monaco, Col de Torini and stuff.

This is a bit off the cuff as I have done absolutely zero research or planning but I rather like France.

Any takers?

If the big trip is too long than the time I can take off, it does sound interesting.

I can definitely recommend Verdon. Several great roads there for easy to plan loops, with easy access viewpoints on the way. That said, I haven't been there in August and if there's something slow on the way you'll be waiting a good while, as there isn't overtaking/pull over spots on those roads. But still, worth seeing (and driving).

And if you're heading for Riviera, I could recommend Cassis. Has the house from first Transporter movie and the Cassis - La Ciotat coastal road has been used in other Luc Besson car chase scenes as well. Prone to closure due to winds though. I was there for three days and it stayed closed the whole time. :mad:

I've been trying to recreate the Verdon Gorge Audi RS4 route, but it looks to have been faked for drama (SHOCKING!). This is the closest I can get (starting point at the tunnel where they started, end point at a nice restaurant, includes the roads JC drove).

d2c655a710.png

Last edited:
I've been there, it's really quite a beautiful place. But the chance to get stuck behind a caravan or a tour bus is quite high during summertime.

Well there is certainly plenty to keep us busy and given the title of the link I don't think going fast is one of the things we need concern ourselves with.

I think there are enough options within a relatively small area in that link alone to make for some pretty spectacular days of driving.

And here is the start of our journey from the Riviera to the Eifel.... probably.

Proposed timetable. (I'm working on probably an overnight boat from Portsmouth to St Malo Thu Aug 4th then a two day drive to get to Verdon/Riviera area).

Arrive at chosen campsite Sat Aug 5th

Sun Aug 6th - Loop 1 of awesome local roads TBC

Mon Aug 7th - Loop 2 of awesome local roads TBC

Tues Aug 8th - Loop 3 of awesome local roads TBC

Wed Aug 9th - Day 1 of Riviera to Ringmeet beginning with Route Napoleon, taking in some other good roads possibly finishing somewhere in the Alsace.

Thu Aug 10th - Day 2 of Riviera to Ringmeet featuring interesting roads in the morning and a highway thrash after lunch.

I love DaBoom's idea of Italian Lakes and Alps but we got screwed over last year in the Dolomites by the weather and if I am travelling that far just to start I want to get more out of it. Plus similar areas two years running doesn't do it for me and I am sure won't for others.

Last edited:
We tried that in 2013, I think. Severely held back by breakdowns and bad weather. :( Hope our luck is different this time around.

Consider me interested... Since I don't have any other plans for a summer vacation, this should do nicely!

Reactions: MWF
Invite them along. If they aren't interested then get some different friends! ;)

Consider me interested... Since I don't have any other plans for a summer vacation, this should do nicely!

As posted in some other thread: I've taken the week before ringmeet off and will join you guys wherever you might end up going. Still fully support original proposal, Ice's campsite, everything that's been going on here, really.
Who else is doing this anyway?

If you help me with the conversation with the locals since I don't speak any french I'm in. :)

I hope we can snag a native speaker. Things always go smoothly with one of those.

Mine is rusty but good enough however if we can persuade the Joker to come out of hibernation and join us we will be fine.

Or Dino as he lived there for a while and should be able to help.

I will be transferring my private plate onto the Ibiza in the next few days but have been waiting until I could think of a new footnote. When the plate was on the Fiat the footnote was "MULTIPLA - BECAUSE MINE WORKS FINE" and on the MX-5 it has been "WOT MID-LIFE CRISIS?"

Since the Ibiza will be heading to France in a few months I got inspiration on the drive back from Manchester today....

"ATTENTION! ROSBIFS!"

:D

As posted in some other thread: I've taken the week before ringmeet off and will join you guys wherever you might end up going. Still fully support original proposal, Ice's campsite, everything that's been going on here, really.
Who else is doing this anyway?

Exactly same here. And I can speak some basic French.

Reactions: MWF
I've been trying to recreate the Verdon Gorge Audi RS4 route, but it looks to have been faked for drama (SHOCKING!). This is the closest I can get (starting point at the tunnel where they started, end point at a nice restaurant, includes the roads JC drove).

9JbLrvq.png

Can't edit that post anymore and the img has become non-hotlinkable so there's an imgur mirror.