Ringmeet 2018, because we're not finnished with this.

I'll try to be there and so will my wife, provided any grandparents take care of the little devils.

Well look at you mister fancy pants.. :p

Ringmeet cost estimate:
- camping with drinks and Friday bbq for the full weekend:~$90 (bringing a car assumed)
- hotel alternatively ~$65+ a night with breakfast
- if hotel, $30 for drinks and bbq at the campsite
- rental car ~$350+ for the extended 5 day weekend
- plus whatever you drink and eat all day long (drinks while not at campsite or individual stuff you want)
- potentially (shares of) ringlaps to convince people to do another lap to ride shotgun..
- if you feel like it: rent a track tool, starting around $250-300 with a lap or two, more laps extra, beware of the deductibles though!! ($3000+++)

Ringrentals can be had for as low as 100 Euros (including the entry ticket).

If everyone expressing an interest goes, this will be the one with the most people...
(I know, I know...when push comes to shove, entries start dropping)

I?ll need to check how much I have. Sister wants to go somewhere this year and I?ve offered to use my miles for her trip. As time gets closer, I?ll have a better idea.

Even less than that. Apex has a 218i for as low as 50 and a Polo GTI for 80.

http://www.apex-nuerburg.com/wp-con...pex_Nuerburg_price_list_rental_cars_Oct27.pdf

They also offer taxi laps in super nice cars, instructions and hotel rooms.

Hmmm...good to know!
But also keep in mind "All prices are excluding lap tickets and fuel." and the Swift/Twingo I saw last time were 99 Euros including the ticket, but I think I rather have the 218i or the Polo GTI.

ANYWAY

Bottom line is: you can rent a car and drive it on the Ring for a reasonable amount.

Oh, didn't know about that. I suppose that brings the price up to the overall average.

At Rent-4-Ring you also pay per lap these days, not for a certain time. If the ring is closed for some reason your laps (which obviously are more expensive than laps at the gate) are refunded. They did this to avoid people driving around doing stupid shit in the surrounding neighbourhood if the ring was closed for some reason.

Yeah but while i.e. rent4ring's lap prices are like 70 EUR, those are all inclusive, say fuel n shit, at least last I checked. So you have a base rate of like 150 bucks for car and one lap all incl., and then you can add laps at a rate in the 70eur realm. Probably the more the cheaper..

Ringmeet 2018, because we're not finnished with this.

Does that include a class for those that have never been around?

It might be a bad idea to even think about doing as, I?ve never been on a track in my life.

Wait, you can just pay money and go out there?

It's a public (toll)road. Yes. Everybody with a ticket can go on the Ring with his car. And if you rent a track toy, no difference. That's why they have stupid high deductibles..

Yeah but while i.e. rent4ring's lap prices are like 70 EUR, those are all inclusive, say fuel n shit, at least last I checked. So you have a base rate of like 150 bucks for car and one lap all incl., and then you can add laps at a rate in the 70eur realm. Probably the more the cheaper..

I've been told about 6-ish laps (or 4 I should ask to be sure) is the sweet spot, because that's how many you can do on a tank. And while fuel is included as you say, if you need extra fuel between laps you do have to pay for that yourself.

Does that include a class for those that have never been around?

It might be a bad idea to even think about doing as, I?ve never been on a track in my life.

As has been mentioned, just take few passenger laps first and knowledgeable co-driver with you for your laps and you'll be absolutely fine. :)

Wait, you can just pay money and go out there?

Some places (like Apex) require that if it's your first time renting with them, you MUST have instruction, and it usually costs around 50 euros.
Some places just toss you the keys and say "go have fun. don't crash"

Some places (like Apex) require that if it's your first time renting with them, you MUST have instruction, and it usually costs around 50 euros.

That's only for the M cars or the reduced excess insurance. With regular insurance and, say, a Polo they toss you the keys.

Flareside, I feel bound to point out that you are, in fact:

1: American - there are more corners on one lap of the 'Ring than you have negotiated since you started Driver's Ed.

2: American - being a proper racetrack, the Nordschleife has not only left turns but right turns too. NASCAR it ain't. On the plus side there are two banked left-handers just in case you get homesick and have made it that far without crashing.

3: American - over here we have this thing called "manual transmission". It requires thought, precision and finesse. And a second foot. That's foot as in "appendage" not an archaic unit of measurement.

4: American - based our experiences of some of your countrymen in 2015 you will blame "winter tyres" and "jetlag" for a total inability to drive.

5a: American - since much of the track action takes place on the Sabbath you make need to take a week off from Jeezuz. We will, however, ensure you are spurred towards prayer by securing you a shotgun lap beside Adrian, the only man I know to have driven devout atheists to take holy orders.

5b: American - as such you may not be able to handle the "moderate" quantities of liquor typically consumed on a Ringmeet Saturday night so there will be many opportunities for prayer on Sunday morning. Most of them, however, will be in honour of the porcelain gods, Ralph, Bill and Claire.

6: Totally welcome and may I say on behalf of the entire Ringmeet Collective how awesome it would be if you can make it.

;)

Ok, so, you can be my personal trainer with that attitude. Just don?t step on your dick while you?re doing it.

You seem to have forgotten that I do own a stick shift car and while it?s no hairdresser/secretary car like yours, I still have to change my own gears. I am in no way saying I?m a pro but, I do know how to use one.

What does religion have to do with this? Who gives a shit if it?s on a Sunday. I really don?t know you brought that up. If I?m planning to go, you don?t think I?ve taken that into a account? Furthermore, it?s not like I think I?ll be smited if I don?t attend 1 Sunday. Goodness man.

I?m just asking questions because I have the confidence level the size of a mustard seed. Apparently, if you?re British, that?s against the rules while in Germany. I assume people there won?t speak English hence why I?m asking those that do and have knowledge of the place beforehand.

I don?t want this to divulge into a fight but, can this stay strictly to stuff about the subject and event at hand? I get that this is a long ass track that?s not fucking Nascar which is why I?m asking before just plunking down money and assuming things are fine after that.

Well that escalated quickly, and it's not even 2018 yet.

Sometime before Ringmeet I'm planning on buying a car of some sort to succeed the XJR. Considering the idea of an older Mustang Cobra and some slightly obnoxious vanity plate like "PONYTA", then bringing that to Ringmeet.

Alternately, finding something that's in Europe and legally importable to the US. Like this: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/citroen/xm/2035748.html

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF