Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chat Room [IRC Channel]

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Did you not intro yourself when asked? Have an annoying username? Abuse the Buick?
    Support your FG Community: buy a shirt or iPhone cover

    As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible - but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.

    Comment


      When someone asked who I was, I said I was new, just signed up, which I am. My Username was what it is on the Forums.. And.. There was someone named Buick in there?

      Comment


        I just logged on to see what's inside the pandora's box of the IRC channel and it was silent as a sleeping kitten.

        Ahh, it's about 5pm in the States right now and maybe y'all are busy cooking dinner
        The only reason why I'm not in some local motoring forum is because they're filled with idiots educated by the North Korean government.

        Disclaimer: I am a kitten. My writings may not conform to human logic. Since I am small and cute, please do not eat me.

        Comment


          It's moving now, come back!
          Support your FG Community: buy a shirt or iPhone cover

          As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible - but pissing everyone off, is a piece of cake.

          Comment


            That.. is one almighty flash mob pillow fight.
            The only reason why I'm not in some local motoring forum is because they're filled with idiots educated by the North Korean government.

            Disclaimer: I am a kitten. My writings may not conform to human logic. Since I am small and cute, please do not eat me.

            Comment


              I'm glad you like it.
              1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
              1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
              2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
              2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
              2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction

              2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
              Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

              Comment


                You should see it when drunk Europeans are on....so in ~4 h
                Max (1986 E32 735i):
                Moritz (1998 E36 328i Convertible):


                Owner of "Best Car" and "Best Bavarian Car" Award winner at Ringmeet 2015

                Comment


                  All was fine and well with the discussions I participated in until someone in particular decided on what amounted to be public defamation when I simply decided not to answer any questions of a personal nature for good reason - this is the Internet.

                  I am just like any other automotive nut who is here to discuss automotive matters not please anyone's curiosity on what my age is and where I come from. I find the aforesaid incident particularly insulting.

                  Note to people who act like moderators or have a semi moderating capacity. This is not YOUR damned IRC channel, it's open to ALL FG users. You want to ruin other peoples chat experience you create your own god damned IRC channel to rule over.

                  Since everyone suspects me of not answering questions when asked I will simply copy and paste the offending content:

                  joel shuns CarmensRevenge
                  +++ joel has taken voice from CarmensRevenge

                  The only reason why I'm not in some local motoring forum is because they're filled with idiots educated by the North Korean government.

                  Disclaimer: I am a kitten. My writings may not conform to human logic. Since I am small and cute, please do not eat me.

                  Comment


                    I'm sorry, Carmen. But this is #gear. Deal with it or GTFO.

                    In case you decide for the former, you're very welcome back! Otherwise: Was nice to meet you.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Carmen's Revenge View Post
                      All was fine and well with the discussions I participated in until someone in particular decided on what amounted to be public defamation when I simply decided not to answer any questions of a personal nature for good reason - this is the Internet.

                      I am just like any other automotive nut who is here to discuss automotive matters not please anyone's curiosity on what my age is and where I come from. I find the aforesaid incident particularly insulting.

                      Note to people who act like moderators or have a semi moderating capacity. This is not YOUR damned IRC channel, it's open to ALL FG users. You want to ruin other peoples chat experience you create your own god damned IRC channel to rule over.

                      Since everyone suspects me of not answering questions when asked I will simply copy and paste the offending content:
                      Which country you're from and what age you are is personal, true, but any admin can view your IP address and trace back to where its from. And some further searching in country laws would reveal your "minimum" age. We didn't bother out of politeness (and because we're not a bunh of creepy stalkers, but that doesn't stop us from pestering/harassing/torturing you for it until you crack. I cracked in less than an hour and said where I was from.

                      Secondly, #gear is NOT an automotive-only channel. Its a channel for automotive geeks who like socialising with each other. I have personally see talks range from the weather to some very personal issues, but we generally stick to general stuff (automotive stuff, technologial stuff, news, our jobs, our social life and our family life as well as general moaning).

                      Thirdly, acces to the Finalgear IRC service(s) is a PRIVILEDGE, NOT a right, and we HAVE rules, the most important being to not piss off the ops, closely followed by not being annoying. Admins, Ops and Half-Ops have been appointed because they can uphold the rules. shunning you and removing your voice is NOT an insult or ruining your experience. All it means is that you have been lowered to standard user and that joel doesn't like you. You CAN still talk without voice, unless the channel is in +M mode (almost never happens except on TGUK weekends)

                      Originally posted by thomas View Post
                      I'm sorry, Carmen. But this is #gear. Deal with it or GTFO.

                      In case you decide for the former, you're very welcome back! Otherwise: Was nice to meet you.
                      A bit crude, but yes, #gear is a deal with it or GTFO place.

                      What you did was a ragequit, and honestly speaking, it just shows you're being very temperamental. This tends to make you look like a loser, just ask IceBone about his experience, we're cruel, ruthless and never forget.... and you can't live without us

                      Comment


                        Man you turned into quite a suckup zedestructor, must be your french genes.
                        Max (1986 E32 735i):
                        Moritz (1998 E36 328i Convertible):


                        Owner of "Best Car" and "Best Bavarian Car" Award winner at Ringmeet 2015

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by D-Fence View Post
                          Man you turned into quite a suckup zedestructor, must be your french genes.
                          I wasn't sucking up. I just coldly and calmly replied with cool logic.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by ZeDestructor View Post
                            ... Thirdly, acces to the Finalgear IRC service(s) is a PRIVILEDGE, NOT a right, and we HAVE rules, the most important being to not piss off the ops, closely followed by not being annoying. Admins, Ops and Half-Ops have been appointed because they can uphold the rules. shunning you and removing your voice is NOT an insult or ruining your experience. ...

                            Clearly I've been doing something wrong the last few years then.
                            Quiky didn't like my signature.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by eltoro507 View Post

                              Clearly I've been doing something wrong the last few years then.
                              They just don't want to be put in the white van D:

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by ZeDestructor View Post
                                Which country you're from and what age you are is personal, true, but any admin can view your IP address and trace back to where its from. And some further searching in country laws would reveal your "minimum" age. We didn't bother out of politeness (and because we're not a bunh of creepy stalkers, but that doesn't stop us from pestering/harassing/torturing you for it until you crack. I cracked in less than an hour and said where I was from.
                                That's not the point, why should she be forced the say her age and location if she doesn't want to? So what if an admin can look up their country, I don't see why her trying to protect her privacy should lead her to being de-voiced. Heck, EllieZ should have been devoiced a 1000 times for avoiding these types of questions, but she wasn't, and I don't see why Joel should have the ability to be such an enormous ass.


                                Originally posted by ZeDestructor View Post
                                Thirdly, acces to the Finalgear IRC service(s) is a PRIVILEDGE, NOT a right, and we HAVE rules, the most important being to not piss off the ops, closely followed by not being annoying. Admins, Ops and Half-Ops have been appointed because they can uphold the rules. shunning you and removing your voice is NOT an insult or ruining your experience. All it means is that you have been lowered to standard user and that joel doesn't like you. You CAN still talk without voice, unless the channel is in +M mode (almost never happens except on TGUK weekends)
                                Joel not liking someone should not be good enough reason to mute people. The other admins don't go around muting people daily, yet he feels the need to. In the last couple months it has become impossible to argue anything in the channel because Joel will take it upon himself to mute people, whether he is involved in the argument or not. And before you say anything, it's not just me he mutes as well. And if you get devoiced it means you can't talk until you revoice yourself.


                                Mathematics is to physics as masturbation is to sex.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Cold Fussion View Post
                                  That's not the point, why should she be forced the say her age and location if she doesn't want to? So what if an admin can look up their country, I don't see why her trying to protect her privacy should lead her to being de-voiced. Heck, EllieZ should have been devoiced a 1000 times for avoiding these types of questions, but she wasn't, and I don't see why Joel should have the ability to be such an enormous ass.




                                  Joel not liking someone should not be good enough reason to mute people. The other admins don't go around muting people daily, yet he feels the need to. In the last couple months it has become impossible to argue anything in the channel because Joel will take it upon himself to mute people, whether he is involved in the argument or not. And before you say anything, it's not just me he mutes as well. And if you get devoiced it means you can't talk until you revoice yourself.
                                  Still doesn't warrant a ragequit.

                                  And you can talk when devoiced, its just that you have +q as well C_F, so you can't

                                  Comment


                                    On that "joel is evil"-topic:

                                    1.) I was there and joel was everything but mean.
                                    2.) Carmen never had voice in the first place.

                                    Comment


                                      That's not the point, why should she be forced the say her age and location if she doesn't want to? So what if an admin can look up their country, I don't see why her trying to protect her privacy should lead her to being de-voiced. Heck, EllieZ should have been devoiced a 1000 times for avoiding these types of questions, but she wasn't, and I don't see why Joel should have the ability to be such an enormous ass.
                                      People have very good reasons for avoiding certain kinds of questions.

                                      I gave Joel a very civilised and reasonable explanation for why if our positions were reversed, I will not start a conversation that begins with age and location. Said explanation was duly accepted and after a minute, he started to act as if he had an issue with that.

                                      That's not the point, why should she be forced the say her age and location if she doesn't want to? So what if an admin can look up their country, I don't see why her trying to protect her privacy should lead her to being de-voiced. Heck, EllieZ should have been devoiced a 1000 times for avoiding these types of questions, but she wasn't, and I don't see why Joel should have the ability to be such an enormous ass.
                                      Admins may have XYZ tools and they should be used responsibly. On a previous day my IP location (not obtainable by normal user privledges) was obtained by said admin tools and BROADCAST PUBLICLY TO EVERYONE. This is both impolite and disrespectful to someone who has spent very limited time in this community, and frankly, if I barely knew someone I would never, ever ask for a disclosure of such information, much less broadcast said information publicly - this improper usage of admin tools is tantamount to spying and/or harassment.

                                      If that were not enough to raise suspicion over certain very irresponsible persons, I was also directly requested by Joel to publicly state the reasons why I am in present location if I didn't belong there in the first place. Tell you what, that is entirely my own business and if certain members of the community respond to such with comments of "GTFO" then I'm sorry, you're bringing down the reputation of what is in effect a very large and mature automotive discussion group.

                                      Which is a pity. Remember, I had dissolved the argument on IRC in good humor and offered logical explanations. You accepted said explanations. You then proceeded to personally attack writer of explanation and post demeaning comments that further exaggerate, instead of resolving the conflict.

                                      Whom should "GTFO" is pretty obvious.

                                      Joel not liking someone should not be good enough reason to mute people. The other admins don't go around muting people daily, yet he feels the need to. In the last couple months it has become impossible to argue anything in the channel because Joel will take it upon himself to mute people, whether he is involved in the argument or not. And before you say anything, it's not just me he mutes as well. And if you get devoiced it means you can't talk until you revoice yourself.
                                      If the source of the problem is not dealt with then other end users can, have, and will face undue harassment in future, especially if they are of the fairer gender and you continue to see us as objects to be conquered and targets to mine information from. I regard this behavior as disrespectful to a global community (considering this is the 21st century) and absolutely prevents any sort of constructive discussion.

                                      Except maybe, now, you can decide on where to take the next discussion. You can continue to rebut my points with what amounts to be personal attacks - this time in public view from a very large community of international users, or take the appropriate measures.

                                      This is again, what I deem to be an appropriate perspective to the issue in question, based on my prior experience with various internet communities. This perspective and the above explanation are offered at my own expense and time. Kindly refrain from replying if you simply want to shoot hostilities randomly without purpose.

                                      This is never an issue about #gear or what your stand is on internet etiquette (to which I have gone into much detail, esp, admin responsibilities). There are larger implications involved.
                                      Last edited by Carmen's Revenge; November 28th, 2010, 4:36 PM.
                                      The only reason why I'm not in some local motoring forum is because they're filled with idiots educated by the North Korean government.

                                      Disclaimer: I am a kitten. My writings may not conform to human logic. Since I am small and cute, please do not eat me.

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Carmen's Revenge View Post
                                        If the source of the problem is not dealt with then other end users can, have, and will face undue harassment in future, especially if they are of the fairer gender and you continue to see us as objects to be conquered and targets to mine information from. I regard this behavior as disrespectful to a global community (considering this is the 21st century) and absolutely prevents any sort of constructive discussion.
                                        You don't really think thats because you are [might be] female, don't you? And please, "undue harassment"? Well i think we know one thing now for sure: You and #gear, that won't work out.

                                        Have a nice day!

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Carmen's Revenge View Post
                                          People have very good reasons for avoiding certain kinds of questions.

                                          I gave Joel a very civilised and reasonable explanation for why if our positions were reversed, I will not start a conversation that begins with age and location. Said explanation was duly accepted and after a minute, he started to act as if he had an issue with that.
                                          Excessive sarcasm. joel is well-known for abusing it.

                                          Admins may have XYZ tools and they should be used responsibly. On a previous day my IP location (not obtainable by normal user privledges) was obtained by said admin tools and BROADCAST PUBLICLY TO EVERYONE. This is both impolite and disrespectful to someone who has spent very limited time in this community, and frankly, if I barely knew someone I would never, ever ask for a disclosure of such information, much less broadcast said information publicly - this improper usage of admin tools is tantamount to spying and/or harassment.
                                          It was part of your hostmask and not fully hidden. a quick search reveals that the IP class your IP was in was for just one countries ISP. I suggested you use a vhost to mask it the day you first joined.

                                          If that were not enough to raise suspicion over certain very irresponsible persons, I was also directly requested by Joel to publicly state the reasons why I am in present location if I didn't belong there in the first place. Tell you what, that is entirely my own business and if certain members of the community respond to such with comments of "GTFO" then I'm sorry, you're bringing down the reputation of what is in effect a very large and mature automotive discussion group.
                                          Curiosity killed the cat. I understand that you may wish to keep some stuff personal and that is YOUR choice, not anyone else. I will not argue the point.

                                          Which is a pity. Remember, I had dissolved the argument on IRC in good humor and offered logical explanations. You accepted said explanations. You then proceeded to personally attack writer of explanation and post demeaning comments that further exaggerate, instead of resolving the conflict.

                                          Whom should "GTFO" is pretty obvious.



                                          If the source of the problem is not dealt with then other end users can, have, and will face undue harassment in future, especially if they are of the fairer gender and you continue to see us as objects to be conquered and targets to mine information from. I regard this behavior as disrespectful to a global community (considering this is the 21st century) and absolutely prevents any sort of constructive discussion.

                                          Except maybe, now, you can decide on where to take the next discussion. You can continue to rebut my points with what amounts to be personal attacks - this time in public view from a very large community of international users, or take the appropriate measures.

                                          This is again, what I deem to be an appropriate perspective to the issue in question, based on my prior experience with various internet communities. This perspective and the above explanation are offered at my own expense and time. Kindly refrain from replying if you simply want to shoot hostilities randomly without purpose.

                                          This is never an issue about #gear or what your stand is on internet etiquette (to which I have gone into much detail, esp, admin responsibilities). There are larger implications involved.
                                          The issue most likely stems from the fact that most of us in #gear tend to take everything extremely lightly. As a result we forgot about your personal feelings and got carried away. We make many jokes, and abuse stereotypes, and over time you learn to get used to it and join in the fun yourself.

                                          I myself am insulted very often by being called a frenchie by most of the Europeans. I got used to it eventually and now joke with the majority. The same goes for the tellolist and Ice crashing jokes, eventually you accept and laugh with the rest. Have a look at our quotesite if you want to see more of that sort of stuff.

                                          Finally, I would like to apologise if I hurt your feelings in any way.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X