X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep, still down. welp.

Comment

So, recap. Last weekend was an awesome weekend, because it was FOSDEM. And J, my very good friend who is also the sysadmin for the platform where the server running the IRC is hosted, decided to finally upgrade the virtual networking system (Vmware NSX) that had been causing troubles for quite some time, with machines randomly losing networking. Because it was a routine upgrade, he decided to do it from the hotel between the conference and the dinner. I asked him "how long will the disruption last?" "Less than a second" was his answer.
      Sadly, he turned out to be wrong. After upgrading NSX and rebooting the hosts, they would refuse to load anything related to networking, or hosting VMs or storage.
      Dinner on saturday came and went, with him trying to fix the issues from his phone in the restaurant.
      Sunday came, most of his day was spent trying to find the issue, including sitting in the passenger seat of a mutual friend's Subaru, trying to diagnose the issue over his phone while abroad, he burned through almost a gigabyte of data from RDP. By this time, another mutual friend, S, who, like J, is a VMware VCDX (basically the highest certification you can get from VMware), and is also one of the top ranking VMware NSX consultants in Europe, was also helping in trying to find the issue. At the end of the day, both had the feeling they were at least closing in on the issue, yet no idea on how to fix it yet.
      Today, J and S spent most of their day telephoning with various VMware support technicians, and they finally homed in on the issue, and found out how to fix it. Which was around 17:00 CET.

So, tl;dr: An upgrade broke shit, and it took the combined might of two of the best VMware consultants, and half the VMware support staff to fix it. I was busy listening to open source hippies about cool projects and kida forgot to read the forums.
      1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
      1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
      2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
      2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
      2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction

2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
      Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

Originally posted by Adunaphel View Post
        I asked him "how long will the disruption last?" "Less than a second" was his answer.
        Famous last words...

Comment

Other famous last words:

- "Does it bite?"
          - "What's that cable?"
          - "Clear on the right."
          “If Liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" (George Orwell)

Comment

Not forgetting:

"How hard can it possibly be?"
            "What could possibly go wrong?"
            and
            "I wonder what happens if..."

Comment

I'm new here and I want to say hello !

Comment

The IRC server has an expired certificate. Please fix.

Comment

Is this the former Formula 1 racer Steve Levin Who used to live on Lockport NY? If so, My father and I met you at your moving sale, bought a bunch of stuff from you and went to steak dinner? Do you recall this?

Comment

Originally posted by DanRoM View Post
                    The IRC server has an expired certificate. Please fix.
                    It took more than a year, but the certificate is fixed now. Also, I've updated the IRCd and changed servers, so let me know if anything goes wrong. The best place is IRC, since I almost never check the forums, but I'll try to pop back in here to see if anyone mentions stuff going boom.
                    “Some people, when confronted with a Unix problem, think ‘I know, I’ll use sed.’ Now they have two problems.”

Comment

Been dead for a few days now.

Comment

Originally posted by MXM View Post
                        Been dead for a few days now.
                        Been dead longer than that but now it's just not working

Comment

Oh great, its just not me then!

Comment

So...?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeall View Post
                              So...?
                              So, it's not really a priority. It's been pretty much dead for at least the last 12 months. The forums are the bigger issue, and Viper's health is far and away more important than any of it.
                              I would think PC will get to it eventually, but realistically, it might be time to pull the plug on IRC for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Misrabelle View Post

So, it's not really a priority. It's been pretty much dead for at least the last 12 months. The forums are the bigger issue, and Viper's health is far and away more important than any of it.
                                I would think PC will get to it eventually, but realistically, it might be time to pull the plug on IRC for good.
                                :/ It has been a fun 10 years.

Off to the next online chat then.

Got any suggestions?

Comment

Sorry. I didn't notice it hadn't restarted after a server issue. It's working now, and hopefully I've fixed the autostart scripts.
                                  “Some people, when confronted with a Unix problem, think ‘I know, I’ll use sed.’ Now they have two problems.”

Comment

Again?

Comment

RIP my half-ops (hops!) status.

Ever feel like throwing your hard-earned cash into a wood chipper? Well, then--you should give Team Porschelump money!
                                      ...- --- .-. ... .--. .-. ..- -. --. / -.. ..- .-. -.-. .... / .--. ..- ..-. ..-. .- .-.. ..- -- .--. .-.-.- /

Comment

I changed some DNS stuff and I must have screwed something up. I'll investigate.
                                        My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
                                        There is no replacement for displacement.
                                        - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
                                        ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
                                        - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Comment

Should be fixed in ~30 minutes. I fixed the DNS issue.
                                          My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
                                          There is no replacement for displacement.
                                          - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
                                          ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
                                          - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Comment

Working...
                                          X