Does the main site need a redesign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Opinions seem to be mixed on whether I should completely redo the main site.

On one hand everyone's used to it, it seems to work alright, etc. but on the other hand, it's narrow, uses tables, and the design is showing it's age.

Note that if we opt to keep the current design, I'll be sprucing it up with many new features (like dividing the episodes up into seasons so the listings are so long) as well as adding like Wiki links.

I voted no, but it's not a strong no. I like current design, but if you come up with something better I wont miss it that much :)

I voted no, but it's not a strong no. I like current design, but if you come up with something better I wont miss it that much :)

I didn't think i'd ever say it, but I agree with MXM.
As always, I totally agree with MXM.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the site...but then again, i don't check the site that often (probably once a month).

/edit: fixed!

Last edited:
I'm not sure, don't use it much, only thing is that it only takes up the middle half of my monitor at home, I'd bet that I'm not the only one.

I don't think it needs a massive redesign but I think a tiny updating wouldn't hurt.

The show pictures need an update, Fifth Gear still has the freaky white haired man and Top Gear still has TG Dog, and she disappeared after the one season!

A simple redesign will do. Not like a complete makeover. Maybe move the ads to the right side? If it's too much of a hassle then I don't mind the current deisgn. :)

I'm not sure, don't use it much, only thing is that it only takes up the middle half of my monitor at home, I'd bet that I'm not the only one.
If we did redesign, it'd stay fixed width but it'd just be designed for a 1024x768 monitor rather than 800x600.

Full width just looks like crap on big widescreen monitors, especially when you write short news posts like I usually do.

If we did redesign, it'd stay fixed width but it'd just be designed for a 1024x768 monitor rather than 800x600.

Full width just looks like crap on big widescreen monitors, especially when you write short news posts like I usually do.

1024>800 = better :p

No more tiling backgrounds!

I like it, but once TG Aus and Gear start airing some tweakage to fit them in might help - adding them in "the shows" section and to the countdown once we know airdates.

I like it, but once TG Aus and Gear start airing some tweakage to fit them in might help - adding them in "the shows" section and to the countdown once we know airdates.
Of course. :p

The only thing about the main page that really irks me lately is how long it takes to get into the forums from a news article.

Let's say I want click a news story on the front page (Click 1)
Then I have to click "Discuss this post in our forums..." (Click 2)
Then, I'm in the forums with a thread view that I have to click on, even though that story is the only one on the page (Click 3)
Then I, in forum view, see the same news post again posted by your robot, and then a post by you to a different thread on the site (Click 4)

Whew, I'm finally there. I understand that the CMS system makes me click on the heading of the article to view the full story, and I also understand that in the story you'll need a link to somewhere on the site (that may be your own post, or a post by another person), but there is at least one of those steps (Click 3) that I have no idea what it's used for.

I would assume there has to be a better way to streamline it? It's not end of the world or anything, but the only real "problem" I see with the current design.

Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing a different layout on the front page, but it matches the theme of the forums alright so no need to really go about changing it all up.

Of course, unless you want to. It's your site, after all. :p

There's a main site beyond these forums?

I am not sure which option to pick. The site is showing it's age but on the other hand it loads fast and works pretty well.

I am going to say keep current design with a few update tweaks.

Well, the design doesn't really affect the speed. The speed comes from our uber server and the advanced caching techniques in place.

Design Contest

Design Contest

Opinions seem to be mixed on whether I should completely redo the main site.

On one hand everyone's used to it, it seems to work alright, etc. but on the other hand, it's narrow, uses tables, and the design is showing it's age.

I agree completely, the current site works fine but it is narrow, a bit "blockish" (whatever that is) and is showing its age.

Note that if we opt to keep the current design, I'll be sprucing it up with many new features (like dividing the episodes up into seasons so the listings are so long) as well as adding like Wiki links.

Updating an entire website is a chore. But a number of websites have run a contest where designers/programmers are invited to submit new designs and code using current graphics (or only slightly modified graphics) and actual content or paste up. The final designs are featured with a comments section for user feedback. The winning design is tested by running it in parallel with the original site and after bug fixes is rolled out.

The winner is given some swag, mad props, a resume item for advancing their career, and of course credit on the site.

I need to be clear, I LIKE the current site and its current feature set and I have nothing but respect for the owners and maintainers. But I think it could be better, read quicker, and hold visitors longer if it were wider and not so limited by its current static table templates.